News

Rolling Road - 355. Is it worth it ?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ferrari355gtb, Oct 29, 2004.

1. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    Is it worth taking my 355 (96 2.7 manual) to a rolling road ? Is there anything they can adjust on the car to make it run smoother/faster/efficiently ? (or is all taken care of through the ECU's - and they need reprogramming)

Used to be able to take my old carb'd/injections/turbo'd cars to the rolling road and see significant gains (both power and smoothness) afterwards. Has technology moved on now that there is much a mechanic can do versus a computer programmer ?

Thanks

Rick

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    Bump.

Anyone ?

4. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    Sorry, I'm not familiar with the term "rolling road". What exactly do you mean?
    I take my car (97 GTB) on a foothill twisting, rolling road all the time. It is great fun!

5. malibumk

malibumk Karting

May 14, 2002
    Malibu, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike Klein
    Scott:
    Rolling Road means Raer Wheel Dynomometer.....to measure rear wheel power. Often used for tuning.

6. Aircon

Aircon Eight Time F1 World Champ

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Talking strictly as a novice, i'd say there would be no advantage in doing this. AFAIK there is nothing to adjust. It's not like the good old days. I had a sync done of my inlet butterflies once, which made my car idle a bit better, but that's about all you can do, and you don't need a dyno for that

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    Thanks, I have never heard that term.

9. T0nyGTSt

T0nyGTSt Karting

Jul 31, 2004
    Dynos are useless for cars with a standard non-programmable ECU.

T.

10. f355b

f355b Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Little Silver,NJ
    the spark plug idea looks good, do a search.

11. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Chassis Dyno's are a good way to wear, break, stress and/or overheat stuff. They're only good for very brief tests, (10mins per hour?) and keeping road testing to a minimum if local road conditions are not suitable.

Even for engine tuning, they're only mildly helpful for setting a benchmark. On road dynamics of airflow and engine bay thermodynamics change many variables.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    There's no point putting your 355 on the rolling road, as you say rolling roads were used for tuning / re-jetting carbs - back in the seventies I spent a couple of years with Webber Uk / Ferrari developing the best carb set-up on the earlier Ferraris using a rolling road, and as Phil says, we spent more time replacing headgaskets on cooked engines that re-jetting!!

14. T0nyGTSt

T0nyGTSt Karting

Jul 31, 2004
    If you run an ECU like a Motec (no doubt Phil is aware of) - a dyno run then followed by a road tune is probably going to be the best.

But of course, you need to evaluate if you need a programmable ECU.

T.