News

Roma Test Drive Parameters

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by gw32, Nov 21, 2020 at 11:58 AM.

1. gw32

gw32 Karting

Apr 6, 2017
    Sonoma, CA
    I had my second test drive in the Roma and I am frustrated with not getting a proper driving experience to tell if I really want to own the car. Both drives at my Northern California dealer were identical: a lead follow of about 20 minutes mostly on the freeway in late afternoon traffic plus a short section of city streets not exceeding 35 mph. One drive was before I signed the purchase order and paid the deposit, the second after. I complained but he said insurance requirements prevented him from allowing me to have a longer drive.

While I like the Roma and on paper the specifications would indicate a relatively high level of performance, I am just uncomfortable spending $300K without really driving the car.

I have read numerous post of others having extensive test drives, one at 190 miles in Texas and another were the guy posted a photo on the drive stats from the dash indicating a maximum speed of 185 MPH (I think he was in Germany)!

What are your experiences with test drives at Ferrari dealers? Thanks for the input.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. vjd3

vjd3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    The sales manager at my local dealer — Ferrari of New England — handed me the key and said, “Go take a nice, long drive, and have fun.” That was with no deposit or prior discussion of an order. Although I am an owner, service my car there, and have bought two preowned Ferraris there in the past, I am certainly not one of their many customers apt to buy/order every new model that comes in, nor am I anywhere near being on the list for early allocations or special models. Nonetheless, I am always greeted warmly, by name, and feel like a valued customer. I look forward to speccing a car there someday.

I’m sure this varies by dealer, sounds like you might want to shop around.

4. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    FoSF??

FoSV has their demonstrator and just hands out the key...at least to me!

Do you have a relationship already with a dealer??

SV

5. gw32

gw32 Karting

Apr 6, 2017
    Sonoma, CA
    FoSF. Made a deposit on a Roma last month.

6. bmcginn

bmcginn Rookie

Dec 11, 2005
    My wife and I went to Ferrari of New England’s debut of the Roma last month. They had two cars but since it was very well attended no one was going to be able to go out for an extended drive. We went for about a 20 minute drive with our SA on local roads which was more than enough for me. After we brought it back he told me if we wanted to spend more time with it just give him a call to make arrangements. Everyone has their own perspective on this, but I don’t need test drives. We’ve bought a ton of cars over the years (including a Portofino last year) and have rarely taken them for a test drive before we pull the trigger. And when we do, it’s usually a quick drive on local roads. I have too much respect for other people’s property to take a demo out and push it to 190mph. Just my two cents.

Florida Joe likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Roma test drive @ Boardwalk was similar to OP's.
    About 20 - 30 mins on surface roads.
    Plano is in the midst of the Metroplex suburban sprawl, so hard to get to the back roads from there.
    It was long enough for me to get an impression of likes/dislikes for the Roma...T

9. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    California
    I knew it but Keith beat me to the question. I live in the city now and split time bw SF and Santa Rosa so the Marin location is ideal for f of SF but I will NEVER leave f of SV....they are amazing from the ownership to the guys washing my car. Was in to drop off my SF for a sale and they noticed my taycan was dirty and they insisted on washing it....I said, you can’t wash my Porsche at a Ferrari dealer but they weren’t hearing it. And while we had to wait...they gave us the keys to the f8 demo and told us to go kill time. It’s an awesome dealer.

10. gw32

gw32 Karting

Apr 6, 2017
    Sonoma, CA
    I moved from Woodside to Santa Rosa 4 yrs ago so know FoSV well but I don't go to the Peninsula often now and the drive with traffic was just too long.

11. gw32

gw32 Karting

Apr 6, 2017
    Sonoma, CA
    You guys do drives with FOG or FCA in the North Bay? I do with my black Scud.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    FOG...tho not recently!

SV

14. gw32

gw32 Karting

Apr 6, 2017
    Sonoma, CA
    Yea, there haven't been many this year. I went one on with them about 3 weeks ago. About 20 cars. Nice drive over Mt. Tam and up the coast. Since FOG wasn't doing them due to Covid, I stated doing FCA. Did 4 drives with them this year. Not quite as "spirited" as FOG.

15. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2019
    Copenhagen
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I got the keys for 4 hours and my dealer knows I won't order one. Just had a go to see what was what. Find a dealer more suited to your needs.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app