360 - Samcrac salvage 360 Modena Spider - Verde British Racing | Page 2 | FerrariChat

360 Samcrac salvage 360 Modena Spider - Verde British Racing

Discussion in '360/430' started by krazykarguy, May 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I think as this series of videos progresses it will become apparent. Intermittent electrical issues can become both time consuming and costly.

2. billy.gif

billy.gif Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2017
    Finland
    He's simply making money out of Youtube. Out of buying really crappy examples and tinkering with those. He bought useless "996" generation 911 for under $5k and repaired it and while doing his stuff, those few videos made him around 30-40k in US dollars.

Like someone pointed out, that one video alone with over 1 million views has made him like $10k - in around five days. It keeps making him money as long as ppls are watching it (view count = money count). 2 weeks from now ... 1 month from now, even 2-3-4 months from now. Not as much but still. Hes 2nd video with the same car has been online mere 24 hours and it has 980 000 views with net of another $10k - in 24 hours. Plus other social platform incomes via advertising. I estimate that after few more videos has made all the money he spent on that particular car and now he simply continues to make money out of it plus he has a free Ferrari 360.

That's how Youtube kids (and adults like Sam) do it. They live and make loads of money just by doing irrational stuff like buying cheap Ferrari and "DIY ing" it with no knowledge what so ever.

3. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Yup. I'm as DIY as anyone out there.. but you need to do your research before you buy. The electrical issues I saw in the video will be fun to work out without a Leonardo or SD2.

KC360 FL likes this.
  4. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I worry that every car has a phase that starts about 15 years after it's new to about 25-30 years when it becomes a collectable (if it becomes a collectable). It's the phase when there are other newer models that can be had for just a bit more $$, where the price of the car can be had for less than a new Honda or Chevy. People buy the car who shouldn't buy the car. They can afford to buy it, but can't properly maintain it. Think most Mercedes 10-15 years out. They can be bought for $15k when they were originally $100k+. Parts are more expensive than the car and people either hack the car up, try to fit Napa or Autozone parts into it, or drive with the component broken. They're second to last owner before the junkyard.

I worry that the 360 will be entering this phase. Only good news is the number of 360's in service will be lessened and those in good condition will theoretically rise in value.

KC360 FL likes this.
  5. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Exactly. Well said. ;)

6. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I wonder if improperly checking the engine oil level, and consequently, adding oil was intentional for the purpose of creating viewer interest.

APA#1 likes this.
  7. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    You oil snobs....(eye roll). ;)
    The cheap oil thing actually makes sense to me...IF he’s just going to run it through for a little while and do another oil change relatively soon after. Doesn’t really matter what oil he uses, short term.
    I did something similar when I flushed my brakes this year (it seems like it hadn’t been done in a few years). I flushed out the old blue stuff with some cheap dot4, and then finished with some of the expensive stuff.

If oil hasn’t been done in a while, I’d put some fresh oil in, run it for a 1000kms or so, just to loosen up any residual crud, then give it a better change...but I still don’t think there’s a huge difference in oil quality as related to street used cream puffs.

bellwilliam likes this.
  8. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Vr- will lead to accelerated attrition... AND— plentiful used parts!!!!!

9. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I’ve considered buying a lightly damaged something or other that’s kinda unique for a while but I’d only do it for “fun” and would only do so with the intention of keeping it. That all being said I’d only use correct parts, either new or from one of the auto recycling places. It wouldn’t be for any value other then the fact that I did it myself and probably with my son. And the actual cost won’t really matter since it’s a project that will likely take several months if not a few years. Not sure if I’m interested in a Ferrari or Lamborghini but have considered a Hellcat Charger or maybe a Maserati Granturismo. I’ve bought and repaired a couple of pickups and a mini van that were lightly damaged and repaired for personal used but as we all well know those are far and away completely different beast.

While I understand why Samcrac bought this car I’ll watch simply to see what he gets into. For whatever it’s worth he is somewhat entertaining but only in measured doses. Like I said earlier he seems to keep most of the cars he works on and that could be the case here but anyone that thinks you can buy a Damaged Ferrari cheap and get out of fixing it cheap and worse selling it is in for a huge surprise.

The comment about the oil makes a lot of sense if he in fact changes it again. I was always under the impression that the oil needed and “certified” for Ferrari’s was related to the additive package in the oil due to high revs but what do I know. As far as checking and over filling situation who knows but he certainly isn’t the first to do this so I am not going to count that against him. I actually agree with the comment that he’s actually the winner since it appears his video is popular and receiving a lot of views.

SoftwareDrone and vrsurgeon like this.
  10. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    Does mobil1 really make lower quality oil for Walmart? I never heard of that and find it hard to believe.

I personally don’t fault him for the overfill. Just this marquee is rather idiosyncratic and he’s tinkering with the thing without doing even the most basic research.

But I get it now. The car is just a prop for his YouTubescapades. Also viewers probably love to see others misadventures.

1 million views just brought the cost of the car down to 27k! (Minus opportunity cost and other stuff like parts)

I wasted 12 years in college and training.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

11. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Not that I have heard, who claimed that?
    I have seen and use "Mobil Super Synthetic", which is a 100% synthetic oil Mobil sells in jugs for $19.99 a gallon, and is put on sale for $15 or $16 occasionally. I use it in my Tundra and a family member's Honda. Seems like a good oil and very reasonably priced. I think Mobil is trying to capture the shoppers of synthetic oils that might consider a "private label" or house brand, but rather buy a familiar name. It worked on me ;)

12. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Honestly I didn’t ready pay attention to the oil he used, someone rarer on posted it was Walmart brand. I use mobil 1 in all of my work vehicles and personal car. So if he infact did use Mobil 1 when i assumed Walmart brand then that makes me the dummy.

13. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    We've all overfilled it at one point or another. It's the implementation that's amateur. When I diagnosed an electrical issue with mine on arrival... I used the wiring diagram to map it out. It's always best to know the intricacies of the car BEFORE you work on it.

SoftwareDrone and azlin75 like this.
  14. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    perhaps he knows what's up already..... and just rolls out the diagnosis, and already solved trial and error for viewership....... I know I'm watching every episode! LOL. I'm a sucker.

15. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Blackstone laboratories did a study awhile back regarding various brands of oil impacting the wear and tear of an ICE. Based on 10,000+ data points off their databases, its negligible as long as the oil is SAE compliant. In other words, Walmart motor oil is just as good as Mobil 1.

16. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    mello - walmart brand oil hurts the resale when you tell people.... marketing hype...... perception of value.

17. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Understandable and each to his own. Well, don't tell people? :D

18. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    now I don't run it either...... so I'm talking out of both sides :).. but it is the internet.

19. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Appears episode 3 is live now. I’m wondering now if the issue isn’t something to do with the immobilizer since disconnecting the battery allows the car to function normally until you switch the car off.

20. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Oh the drama!!! Love it

21. ihavearedferrari

ihavearedferrari F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I wouldnt be surprised if the alternator harness was in poor condition, as common fault on the 360.

John_K_348 and one4torque like this.
  22. AuthenticRebuilds

Feb 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    david
    Id bet he over filled on purpose acting like an idiot, things like that make more episodes, draws in a new crown and makes more money. I still havnt bought an F car yet but ive been doing my research and watching what problems people have on here so ill be better prepared to buy when the right car for me comes along. I really think some of the blunders are just for clickbait. when he was working on his audi he was banging with a hammer close to the windshield and guess what he did,,,,,,yup he broke a very expensive windshield but im sure that it got his views up. The 996 project was a good car, I bid on it! He went about some things on that car the wrong way IMO as I am experienced with Porsche. Ive been thinking I need to start a You tube channel with the project i get my hands on but I just havnt gotten the right car yet. I was going to bid on a yellow 360 that I posted about a couple weeks ago with horrible wheels but the bid went nuts on it. whoever buys it will most likely have money in the upper 40s involved in it and at the end before any opps situations happen they will have a salvage titled 60k mile f1 360.

23. since-15

since-15 Formula 3

Nov 26, 2008
    I have seen a few of his "restorations" and he appears to be a regular guy fixing wrecks (on the cheap) not so much for profit but because he enjoys the process. He is no mechanic by any stretch of the word but he takes the viewer on his experiences of learning about the car (in some cases, cars he could not normally afford). As far as the Youtube angle, I don't blame him for making some money in the process of his rebuilds (it's the American way of the computer age).

Regarding his 360, it is going to be interesting watching him learn (by accident, shop manual, and by both good and bad advice) the ups and downs of bringing back a Ferrari.

As said in some southern states' vernacular: "He gon learn."

Justicepool likes this.
  24. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Goonsquad is another u toob exotic auction car rebuilder...., Enjoyed their recent lambo redeux

APA#1 likes this.
  25. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    I guess it's just the dumb-ing down of society I have a problem with. So many "car" shows on cable where the drama is paramount and in the process they happen to build an expensive car that we are to believe is done a lot faster and a lot cheaper than it actually is. Fine for simple laughs and entertainment. But when it comes to any useful info, not so much.

Maybe I'm over sensitive considering how my business for over 27 years has been building serious quality cars. It degrades what quality car builders, repairers, and serious individuals do with cars when ham handed clowns on the internet play for clicks and laughs all the while hinting at the ease of which one can achieve a miracle with a salvaged car. Not to mention you have to ask yourself: when thousands of professionals out there, that have been buying wrecks for years, can't see the value of buying an fixing up such cars as the one on this guys U-tube site, what makes someone think they outsmarted the pros and scored a real deal, a hidden treasure, in these wrecks. It's no secret insurance companies have a list of professional buyers they regularly contact in these instances. If they all pass... that should tell you something.