Saratoga top | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Saratoga top

Discussion in '308/328' started by tinterow, Feb 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Apologies. Please allow me to state it differently; I'm pleased you don't ever want one. Thanks for the heads up.

2. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I would take one if you gave it to me, but it's nowhere near worth $11K to me. I'm betting you could have one custom made for that.

3. FrannyB

FrannyB Formula Junior

May 20, 2014
    Arvada, CO
    That's pretty neat and a nice clean look. I'd never seen one before. I bet in rainy, wet climates it would be great. Is it hard to not scratch? I guess it could be polished though.

Rosey likes this.
  4. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Good point, what's the care required for those? Nearly everyone advertised and sold talks of having some sort of scratch or other.

5. Fairview

Fairview Formula 3

Mar 16, 2009
    Waynesboro, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jeff Ward
    The lexan has a scratch resistant protective coating rather like eyeglasses, which is good. However, if the coating gets seriously scratched you cannot buff it out the way you can plastic headlights for example.

6. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    My targa has spent the last 240 of 246 days behind the seat; I hardly ever use it. A Saratoga would see the same non-use. And as they are so rare, very much out of my budget for such an accessory.

But I think they do look pretty awesome.

7. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    I Agree and confirmed that.

bertrand328 likes this.
  8. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    Mike, thanks for the pic!!!!

miketuason likes this.
  9. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I have to admit, that does look nice, but I stand by my "too hot in the sun" comments!

10. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    l know we're talking apples and oranges but if l had a spare $11k and wanted an aftermarket accessory,it would go towards supercharging my car..l know the market is the market,but seriously like l said there's no way that you get a $11k benefit out of one,,
    and to all of you guys that have one and love them with all due respect l would find it hard to believe that if your one got stolen tomorrow you would go out and pay that much for one..
    I'm not trying to turn this into a Saratoga bashing thread though..

11. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    It's like anything else, you like what you like.

I love mine about 3K much but I don't have 11K worth of love for it. Never will.

Cirorsi likes this.
  12. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Exactly how I feel about mine.

(BTW, I seem to recall that the latches are NLA, or at least very difficult to find, too; you can therefore deduct about $ 1.000 or so for the latches)

Rgds

13. John M

John M Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Kentucky
    Deal! Box her up! $3K...USD :D

14. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well...it has been "slightly complicated" to import it here, let's say, as the customs were intrigued by it and believed it was some part from a submarine, so here it will stay; but I wouldn't invest $ 11 k should I need to replace it (and the import duties would be higher than for $ 2.500) .
    As said before, when you're living in a part of the country with gray automns a cold winters, you have to have the top on for about four months, and at that period of the year, it is very nice to have one.
    Rgds

15. John M

John M Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Kentucky
    I'd love to have one, just didn't get off the fence in time before they went through the lexan roof. They look great, but can't justify that cost now. So when Dr. Tommy is ready, I would gladly send $3k for his! :D Though I think that ship sailed about 4 years ago. I missed this one that Jim currently has for sale. I think the seller was looking for around $4k and I was slow to respond. It was fairly pristine but had a scratch if I recall. Jim is right about where they have been selling for $5-7K.

16. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    #41 i-velocita, Mar 5, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    There have been a lot of declarations re these tops without a lot of knowledge. The top does not heat up the interior of the car and does add headroom. Also, many of the tops have had value added restoration work between sales... In the form of repaired fiberglass, repainted/replaced latches, repainted side trims, re-glued pads, replaced cap screws, replaced leather latch pulls, new side gaskets, new pouches, etc. There is a small club of owners that have maintained this neat period accessory. It gets pricey due to the low volumes but that is the nature of our hobby!

17. John M

John M Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Kentucky
    Holy shnikes batman......I think I just joined the club! Fingers crossed! :D

Dr Tommy Cosgrove and miketuason like this.
  18. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    As we say in french, you have either said too much, or not enough...

Rgds

19. John M

John M Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Kentucky
    Ask me this time next week if I have a smile or tears on my face. o_O Payment sent....the waiting begins.

Dr Tommy Cosgrove likes this.
  20. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Oh I really do hope that you will be happy with it...and it is too big to get lost in the mail.

Rgds

John M likes this.
  21. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Wow John! I like to say welcome to the club but like you said, we will wait till next week, I’m actually excited for you, please post Som pics when you get it.

22. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    Congrats John. Hope it arrives in good shape.

23. John M

John M Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Kentucky
    Thanks fellas. Excited for it to arrive. I have been wanting one for quite awhile!

24. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3

May 30, 2006
    Incidentally, they made these for Fiat X1/9s too and they're also rare and expensive in that circle -- $500-$800 depending on condition, which considering the value of an X1/9 is quite a lot!

G. Pepper likes this.
  25. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I did not know that. Toying with the idea of getting another X1/9. It was my first Italian car.