Savoia Marchetti S 55X flying boat replica | FerrariChat

Savoia Marchetti S 55X flying boat replica

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by F1tommy, Sep 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  2. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    zygomatic likes this.
  3. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    cool stuff

4. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    #4 Bob Parks, Sep 14, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    Wooden airframes were the epitome of the art. With reliable and long lived adhesives and protection from moisture (mold) they would last for a very long time. AND, wooden structures do not suffer from fatigue like metal, the original multi fiber construction and with natural resilience. Consider the Hughes H-1 flying boat called incorrectly "The Spruce Goose". It was constructed of birch, but spruce is very strong for its weight and lacks pitch pockets like fir and hemlock. I imagine that there was quite a bit used in the airplane.

5. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Lockheed Vega first molded composite plane.

I was reading the the replica mosquitos big difference to Wartime ones is the modern adhesive that are not susceptible to moisture.

In wooden boat land many are now built with a fiberglass epoxy sheathing, no more varnish and seams.

Wood fiber is an amazing material. It also has great vibration and sound absorption, something modern composites can’t match.

Still mold and moisture is an issue.

Seems like in USA an Uk wooden boatbuilding skills are on the rebound.
    But building a complex aircraft is a whole other ballgame.

It is amazing though how lost machines can be accurately recreated. I also like that aircraft and boat people are not snobs about recreations , these are after all industrial products built in series so inherently replicable. car people have an issue with this.

6. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    In WW1, the German's built two fighters with molded plywood fuselages: Albatross and Pfalz D3. In 1920, Alan Loughead built the Loughead Sport biplane with a molded plywood fuselage formed in a concrete mold with a pressure bladder. Copied from the WW1 German techniques.

7. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    More or less how composite construction works today? The difference is we have more durable/stable materials.

Didnt they use a surviving vega in the 50's to test radar returns.

Wiley posts vega is in the smithsonian, I wonder how it has held up under this optimum conditions.

Incredible aircraft.

In general ww1 was an amazing period of tech inovation, even cars just before and after the war tries so many things, DOHC 4 valve cylinder heads.

8. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Thanks Bob.... didn't know that.... was a few years before he changed the spelling of his and the companies' names to Lockheed, for simplicity.

9. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I didn't mean to come across as an EX SPURT (a Drip under pressure). I am full of useless information. The Mosquito is another fine example of molded plywood construction. The Germans tried their own version of the Mosquito but unbelievably their adhesives failed and so did the airframe.

10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The blockades meant the Germans were missing a lot of strategic materials and liquids during both world wars. Possibly why the adhesives failed. In WW-I, there was a shortage of castor oils, the primary lubricant for rotary engines, which really affected the reliability of Oberursel and Siemens-Halske rotaries.

11. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    My mother used to lubricate my system with castor oil some times when I was a kid. Made things run a lot better.

12. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I recalled that I flew a Timm N2T-1 that also had a molded plywood fuselage. It was a very nice flying airplane with a Cont 220 in it. I would have liked to own one because it was such a pleasant airplane.

13. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    11' diameter 3 bladed props (2) machined out of billet aluminum. This is a wonderful project. The workmanship looks great.