scotch question | FerrariChat

scotch question

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by thadbrown, Dec 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thadbrown

thadbrown Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    i need to get a friends mom some scotch for xmas. she drinks it with water so what should i get. not terribely expensive either. any inputs?

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Eight Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Dewer's. Don't waste any really good stuff.

3. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Johnny Walker Blue Label.....

Sorry, just kidding. You will understand why when the liquor salesman gives you the price!

Glenlivet is a decently priced single malt. Hard to go wrong with that as a gift.

Terry

4. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Terry, do people drink single malt with water...? i thought neat and on the rocks were the only ways to drink single malt... i mean, i GUESS you could drink it with water, but water/club soda seems like the company blended scotch keeps, not single malt... Just wondering...

Johnny Walker is a good idea... Black Label won't break the bank, but Blue Label will practically get you into her will... :)

5. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    I enjoy Glenlivet, and it's not too expensive. I usually drink it neat if I want MAX to hurry up and get there, on the rocks if I'd rather MAX stay out of my way. :)

Lately I've tried to enforce a restraining order against MAX... :)

6. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Ardbeg,

its a Single Malt Scotch............very good stuff!!

7. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    If She is going to put water in it get a cheaper blended whisky as to be franky honest as She pits water in it She won"t care anyway.
    Dave Mc

8. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    J.Walker Green is one of my favorite.....
    Hard to find here unless you are in Duty free stores

9. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    I drink single malts and I like it on the rocks with a splash of water. McCallan 25 year is my favorite, but honestly these days I find myself drinking more Crown Royal on the rocks. I also like a good bourbon.

This doesnt sound like a situation where spending more has any point. Dewers is probably fine. Cheaper the better.

Terry

10. Prova7

Prova7 Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    DamonB
    If she drinks it with water all you need is a "decent" blended scotch, no sense in spending. Dewars is the best of the "cheap stuff" IMO.

I prefer Dewars to much of the other more expensive stuff but normally drink Macallens. Glenlivet will work in a pinch.

11. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    I am a pretty big Scotch fan - I have kindof been a collector of sorts (of primarily Single Malts) for the past 10 years or so. I think I have around 45 unique lables - not to mention the permeatations of Ages for each of the lables - I need to have a scotch party to get rid of some of it...

The worst scotch I have had (sorry Tom) is Johnnie Walker Green - A buddy and I picked one up - it is now being distributed in the US - used to be you only could get it duty free) - So we may have got a bad bottle or something - I have heard others mention how they liked JW's only Single Malt.. So I will have to give it another try - and it is a good fair price - so worth a 2nd chance.

On the contrary I have enjoyed all other JW's (Red, Black, Gold, Blue) - the best being Blue - which is about as good as it gets for blended IMO.

BowMore is a great Islay Single Malt
    Glennfiddich 18 (acient reserve) is a great single Malt the 15yo and 12 are also very nice and a fair price
    Highland Park 12yo is a great single malt
    McCallen 25(as mentioned) is excellent
    Lagavulin 16 is another Islay Single - which is excellent
    Glennlivet 18 year is outstanding - 12 year is good at a nice cost
    Springbank makes a 21 year Single - which is about as good as it gets as well in the Single Malt arena

If I am just doing some casual drinking with scotch - I really think (as mentioned) the best value/flavor for dollar is Dewers it is just a good cheap Scotch...

12. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas

LOL....richard, don't be !!!! i probably have crappy taste in scotch :)

13. thadbrown

thadbrown Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    thanks for all the replies, this is one less thing on the xmas list. dewars sounds like the winner but i am going to price out the other stuff too.

thanks

14. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    Tom - The last thing I would ever say to you is that you have bad taste - cause I know it aint true brother! We both like the same kind of cars - and it seems like every month or so that you get another :) - I am not far behind... I am now looking to sell the 355 Spider - get a 360 and also look at getting a Gallardo - and I even have my wife's ok :)

So bad taste you do not have my friend!

I will give the Green another chance - and if I still don't like it - when we meet I will bring the scotch for the both of us!

Rich

15. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    you got it !!!!

i will drive for the first quart and you can take over the G-wheels for the remainder of the bottle.

16. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    I drink macallan 18 on the rocks.

17. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    GlenLivet and Macallen 12 are good but very common. If you want to get her something good for the same $$, but less like something a liquor store salesman suggested on the way to the party, get her Oban 14.

DL

18. wrecktech

wrecktech Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2004
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    No Chivas drinkers???

19. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    MAX!! Your here!!!

I love the Blue label over a cigar... good times.

I have blue with water sometimes... Makes no difference to me.

20. thadbrown

thadbrown Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    lets switch it up a minute, what should I try for a good first scotch that would introduce me into the world of scotch. would it be the same recommendations or something different?

21. NOCAR

NOCAR Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Look at all the drinkers...goin' to show this to the little lady as all I get is an ice pick in the ear over the 'nasty smell'...and well, it all really goes to hell from there and kind of ruins the old scotch buzz. She figures I must be the only one who likes it...a lot.

22. abarre

abarre Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Fantastic stuff! But definitely not for beginners. Way too smoky and "iodiney" - kind of like licking a hospital floor... It has an antiseptic kind of flavor on the tongue.

If you like Islays though, this is one of the best!

23. abarre

abarre Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Get a medium-priced Highland Malt Whisky (from a Scottish region called the Highlands).

The Dalmore - best bang for the $ in my opinion
    Aberlour - almost as good bang for the $
    Macallan 12 - Fantastic scotch, but a little pricy

Glenkinchie - very smooth and buttery, but also not very complex (a Lowland Malt) not one of my favorites, but I've been drinking single malts for 20 years.

If you're adventurous, try an Islay Malt (from the island called Islay). They are very complex and smoky. Generally an acquired taste.
    Laphroaig
    Lagavulin
    Bowmore

Glenlivet and Glenfiddich are like the Bud and Miller of the single malt scotch world. Not bad, but there is a lot better out there.

Try as many as you can. Start by pouring a shot on the rocks with about 10% water added. That will give you the true flavor without the burn.

Real scotch lovers tend to pour it into a snifter and alternate sips of scotch and icewater.

24. thadbrown

thadbrown Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    for gifts i have to be stingy but treating myself right is absolutely number one. i will let you guys know what i ultimately decide on. i figure at 22 i better try as many things now while i still can and decide what i like and do not like.

i am a big grand marnier fan if that factors in at all.

25. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Smooth blend, sampled best over games of pool with two great friends. Thanks Mike & Dave!

Schunny