scratch built Mazzer roadster | Page 2 | FerrariChat

scratch built Mazzer roadster

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by wildegroot, Jan 13, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    VERY nice Wil!!!

2. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    Hi There,
    I have to ask when did you start making this? Simply awesome! I am making a scratch built Zonda roadster in the UK section, and started just under a year ago - seriously jealous of your garage and tools!!
    Regards
    Nick

3. agnello11

agnello11 Karting

May 27, 2008
    WOW! It never ceases to amaze me just how talented some 'home mechanics' are - very impressive work indeed. Looks absolutely great, particularly the rear quarters and tail, gorgeous.

4. menoy

menoy F1 Rookie

Mar 12, 2005
    PL
    Full Name:
    MRodziewicz
    WOW! :eek: no words... this is incredible.

Will there be light covers? The initial (mirrored) scale model is simply amazing...

5. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    Thanks.

6. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    Thanks Hans.

7. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    #32 wildegroot, Jan 15, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
    I hate to admit it but my youngest son is 12 now and I started this project around the same time he was born. It's been a spare time project and I'm self employed (Ferrari, Maserati, Lamborghini service and restoration) which takes up way more than 40 hours per week so progress has been slow. In between I also restored/hot rodded my 308 and did innumerable honey-do projects around the house. The last one was a chicken run for my youngest daughter that took 3 weeks of spare time to get done. I'm really determined to get the Mazzer done now and I've had a couple of my employees working on it here and there just to get it on the road before I'm dead. :)

Good luck on your Zonda roadster. You'll have to show us pictures!

8. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    Thanks but I AM cheating a bit.

9. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    Thanks. Yes, it will get Lexan headlight covers. One of the photos above, the one showing the right front wheel, also shows the beginnings of a headlight cover mold attached to the car to check the profile.

10. Metamorphosis

Metamorphosis Rookie

Aug 20, 2007
    South Beach
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Oh my, this is simply brilliant!

Love it!

11. 206gt

206gt Karting

Feb 19, 2006
    MTL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That is really cool!! I can't wait to see the final result!

12. pincusa

pincusa Rookie

Dec 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Would really like to see more pictures of how you made the Al body

A great project! Contrats on 12 years of work!

13. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    Thanks

14. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    Thanks

15. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    Thanks. I'll dig through the old film photos and see how they scan.

16. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    Beautiful, you have great perseverance and talent - keep the pictures coming!

17. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    #42 wildegroot, Jan 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I dug through a box of photo prints and came up with some more older pictures. Hope you all enjoy looking at them.

1-3) Other views of the original 1/4 scale half-model against a mirror. The surface of the model was made with a thin layer of modeling clay, from an art supply, covering a skeleton which was made by gluing Styrofoam blocks together and shaping them with a "cheese grater". The outlines for the body came from 1/4 scale drawings of the chassis and body. The wooden wheels/tires were made on the lathe. The windshield, roll bars and exhaust pipe were fabricated from bits of sheet-metal, rod and tubing, just to get an idea of how the whole package might look. The full scale tube-chassis can be seen in the back-ground.

4) The plaster mold, which was cast in sections, inside of a plywood box, so it could come apart without serious damage to the clay model.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    #43 wildegroot, Jan 16, 2009
    5) Three urethane foam plugs, which were cast in the plaster mold, sitting next to the ERCO sheet metal-shrinker (one of the machines used to form the aluminum body panels).

6) Two of the 1/4 scale urethane plugs were precision sawed into one inch slices, like loaves of bread. The front plug in the photo was cut laterally and the back plug was sawed in a longitudinal direction. Each urethane foam section was numbered and traced on paper and then each paper profile was increased 4X to make full scale profiles on 3/4" (19mm) plywood. The plywood profiles were sawed out and fit together "egg crate" style, like a Ferrari grille, to make the station buck. This is an old fashioned way of doing it but still quite effective. Sheet aluminum panels were shaped, away from the buck, with hammers and machines, until they fit the buck and were then welded together to form the body. Many people think the aluminum is hammered over the buck but the buck is only used for fitting and stitching pieces together, just like a tailor.

19. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    #44 wildegroot, Jan 16, 2009
    7 - 9) Chassis construction nearing completion. I guess I never took any pictures of the early stages of the chassis growing on the assembly jig because I don't seem to have any.

10) Completed chassis, with drive-train, suspension and wheels installed, parked in front of the plywood station buck. At this point I was ready to start Forming the aluminum body (the two guys in the photo are my first and second sons).

20. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    #45 wildegroot, Jan 16, 2009
    11) An earlier version of the incomplete nose section. This might be the second version. I cut it up and changed the design at least 3 times. After looking at it for a few days I would cut it up and start over, much to my wife's chagrin. That's why it looks a little lumpy here and there. Initially the panels would come out of the English-wheel, the green machine in the back-ground, all smooth but when I started changing things I would get impatient and start beating panels into submission. The metal is all nice and smooth now after a lot of slapper & dolly and file work. The tape lines show where I was about to cut the middle out and change the design again.

12) Front view of the same experimental nose design. Apparently, and unfortunately, I didn't take many photos while building the body because I don't seem to have too many.

13) Rear sub-frame from the Quattroporte, which carries the differential, rear brakes and rear suspension in one package . Jaguar enthusiasts will see a resemblance to the E-Type IRS sub-frame, which I assume it was copied from. The chalk lines indicate where I was about to cut off the ends of the sub-frame. I rigidly mounted the sub-frame to the back of the new chassis, so I didn't need the ends of the sub-frame with the flexible mounts (mostly hidden from view here) and decided to eliminate them and save a little weight.

14) The posi-lock Salisbury differential with inboard brakes as removed from the Quattroporte rear sub-frame. It's basically the same diff used in several Jaguar models for many years and loved by many hot rod builders. The brakes are larger than what came on the jags and the ring & pinion gears are Gleason type. It's got a 3.54 ratio. I haven't sat down to figure out my theoretic top speed with the Tremec over-drive transmission coupled to it. We'll see what happens and if it needs to be changed I'll address that later. Making a rough guess though, It should go at least 150 MPH for now (about 250 KPH). That's good enough for a street hot rod.

21. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    #46 wildegroot, Jan 16, 2009
    15) Front view of the Quattroporte engine after revising the accessory mounts to narrow everything before drawing the chassis on paper (no CAD here but the old way works too). This engine should make over 300 HP for now with some cam timing changes and a much more efficient exhaust system. Plans for a significant power increase are in place. Right now I just want to get this thing running. I'm retaining the power steering pump (tired of "arm-strong steering") and left the air pump optional. For now I'm using the awful OEM style poly-belts which make snapping noises when cold, due to the "memory" of the material. The noise goes away as the belts warm up but it's annoying. When I finally supercharge this thing, all these pulleys and V-belts will have to be replaced with a multi-ribbed serpentine belt and pulleys and that should kill two birds with one stone.

16) Top view of Quattroporte engine with the Tremec 5 speed hanging off the back. The stainless braided hoses poking out of the bell-housing are for the hydraulic clutch release bearing. One reason for picking the Tremec TR - 3550 was the two extra optional shifter locations. It came stock with a rear mounted shifter but either of the two gold colored covers can be taken off to relocate the shifter forward. This was very desirable since I wanted to move the engine far back in the chassis. It's basically a front-mid-engine design and at the moment I have almost perfect 50/50 weight distribution front to rear.

17) Side view of the engine. That is the original (but modified) right exhaust header mounted on the left side. That allowed the engine to slide back further in the chassis and still leave room for a driver and passenger. The rest of the primary pipes were cut off and a flange welded in place. The parts that were cut off were replaced by a "nest of snakes" style bundle of primary pipes, on each side of the car, which wrap around the foot-wells. By varying the lower primary pipe lengths to compensate for the un-even length original primaries, the end result was, true equal length headers with 31" primaries. A lot of manufacturers claim they make "equal length" headers but if you actually measure them you'll often find significant differences in primary pipe length. The Tremec 5 speed is hanging off of the customized bell housing. More on that below.

22. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    #47 wildegroot, Jan 16, 2009
    18) This is the bell housing that was sawed off (with a Saws-all) of the Chrysler 727 Torqueflite transmission that came with the Quattroporte. The hacked up back end is being squared off in the milling machine here.

19 Bell housing fitted to back of engine after machining and media blasting. The new flywheel is for a Chrysler Hemi to keep the ring gear the same for the starter motor.. The bolt circle was changed to fit the Maserati crankshaft and an adapter was machined and installed to locate the clutch pilot bearing. A heavy duty 10" Mcleod/Borg&Beck clutch, for a Chrysler Hemi, bolts to the fly-wheel. The big Chrysler starter motor that came with the Quattroporte can be seen mounted down on the lower right. That has been replaced by a later Dodge light-weight, gear-reduction starter as used on newer Dodge Ram pick-up trucks.

20) Adapter plate, to fit the Tremec to the bell housing, machined from 6061aluminum plate, ready to be TIG welded in place.

21) Final boring the locating hole for the transmission after checking it for concentric mounting with a dial indicator mounted to the crankshaft. The plate, which became the rear face of the bell-housing, was milled square with the front face, that mates with the engine, after the boring operation.

My plan is to post occasional updates with fresh photos as the Mazzer hot rod project moves to completion. Wish me luck.

23. CAS

CAS F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Clint
    I am in love. The car looks perfectly proportioned, which is the main fault I usually find in project cars. Can't wait to see more progress - you are doing a phenomenal job. Thanks for sharing.

24. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    Wil, you are perfectly poised to start your own car company. Once the big three go down, you'll have it made. LOL
    Seriously your projects go beyond cutting edge. I can't wait till you start a Merak project!

Ciao,
    George

25. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    I love this thread :)