Sealant for 355 intake plenum halves? | FerrariChat

Sealant for 355 intake plenum halves?

Discussion in '348/355' started by SeattleM5, Nov 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    The 355 reached the 5 year mark so the engine came out a few weeks ago and I'm getting a little work done each weekend in the hopes of having the car ready for driving season next spring. The intake plenums are off and separated for cleaning. I was a bit surprised to find silicone sealant between the upper half of the chamber and the gasket (nothing between the lower chamber and the gasket). Anyone know if this is how they did it out of the factory? I suspect not, but was hopeful others who've worked on these before might know. Of note, last winter I smoke tested the intake while chasing a slightly abnormal fuel trim which ended up being the result of a leak where 'Y' shaped air delivery tube meets the 1-4 bank intake sleeve (5.2 motor). No leaks were noted at either plenum at that time.

On a related note, the paint on the fins were a bit scratched up so I taped them off and refinished them. A bit tedious of a job but I was happy with the end result. I'm kicking myself for not taking a 'before' photo as the improvement was quite remarkable. I found Duplicolor Engine Enamel with Ceramic DE 1615 to be an exact match (https://www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-DE1615-Ceramic-Aluminum-Engine/dp/B000B68V9A)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Dave rocks, MAD828 and Qavion like this.
  2. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Mine were most likely factory sealed, and they have the same orange silicone sealant , but on both sides of the gaskets. it very easily came off with just the rolling of my finger.
    New gaskets were like $23 each i think. I used permatex anaerobic sealant on both sides

SeattleM5 likes this.
  3. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    3bond

SeattleM5 likes this.
  4. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    Thanks Ken, very helpful!

5. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Nice work, Ettore. I suspect the paper gaskets just are not enought to handle potential plastic mold deformation and the seal surface. That seal need to be perfect - so does the entire intake system downstream the MAF(s)

SeattleM5 likes this.
  6. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Yeah they need help on the sealant. The tabs pull out a bit making the seal loose between tabs.
    Hondabona yammabond or any of the good one. The right stuff is great also

I dont go full tight right away. I let it set up a bit before that last half turn of torque on the bolts

SeattleM5 likes this.
  7. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
  8. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    wow... complementi on your re-do of the covers!

9. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    Grazie!

Truth be told, I enjoy working on the cars more than I do driving them. After I got the 328 sorted a few years ago I got a little bored so I found this 355 knowing that it was going to need a major in a year or so thus giving me a new project to keep me busy. The only problem is that my wife gets tired of me bringing Ferrari parts into her kitchen for cleaning. She gave me all sorts of grief yesterday when she caught me taking photos of the intake plenums in the family room.

Wife: "Those better not have been in the dishwasher."
    Me: "Nope, just the sink."
    Wife: "Damn it! You know the kitchen is off limits to this stuff!"
    Me: ". . . I forgot."

She got nervous last summer when she saw me making an engine stand out of a rolling hydraulic cart.

Wife: "Why does the engine stand thingy need wheels? You're not going to roll the engine into the house are you?!"
    Me (with a straight face): "That's a really good idea. It gets cold out in the shop."
    Wife: "Don't even think about it! I'm serious, . . . it's not funny!"

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  10. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Just a FYI here is new gaskets without sealant

:)

11. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    Well there you have it. Thanks SoCal1. That will definitely result in some unmetered air getting in past the MAF and screwing up the fuel trim.

12. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Nice engine stand, Ettore :) That's pretty much exactly how I advised Mark (gobble) to make one a couple years back.

13. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Correct. New gaskets from Ferrari don't have the sealant already on them.

It is strangely hypnotic to watch that video. Reminds me of burning incense sticks.

14. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    Thanks Dave. I was inspired by your custom engine stand and came close to fabricating one using your drawings, however, I liked the idea of the hydraulic variable. As you can see in one of the photos, I'm using a Max Jax with limited overhead clearance so I liked the idea of being able to raise/lower the cart if needed.

15. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I noticed that and I like it :)