Shamal/Ghibli/biturbo emergency gas filler release | FerrariChat

Shamal/Ghibli/biturbo emergency gas filler release

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Pav, Mar 28, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pav

Pav Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 18, 2006
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    Michal
    #1 Pav, Mar 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Folks,

The Shamal being no different from other 80-90s biturbos it loves to play dirty tricks - the latest one: it decided it won‘t open the gas filler cap via the button on the dashboard no matter how hard I press it, therefore a technical question - where is the emergency release? The reserve fuel light is on and I am lucky to have a gas station next door to my car park... help...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Pull the carpet back inside the trunk and look ahead of the battery. You may need to remove the molded carpet that covers gas tank as well for the best line of sight and acces.

I don't remember if there's a pull cable or if you can gain access to the mechanical latch. Bring a very good flashlight, a coat hanger, a pair pliers for cutting/bending the coat hanger, a long thin screwdriver and plenty of patience.

Looks like you'll need to manipulate # 6 & 42 in this picture. Or work #50 with a screw driver. Pray for a pull cable.

http://www.eurospares.co.uk/userImages/139/Large/139_028_1.gif

My Ghibli Cup is very similar.

Lots of cars have fuel doors fail.

If your trunk fails or you're battery is dead remove the license plate, pull out the rubber plug and use that same screwdriver to push the latch. Not terribly secure is it ... My jag uses the mechanical key and the lock is hard to spot.

3. Pav

Pav Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 18, 2006
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    Michal
    #3 Pav, Mar 30, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thank you for linking me to the Fuel tank blueprint... this will be useful for the future. It happens it was an electrical glitch. I had disconnected the battery before for - short - storage, upon reconnecting it I normally took the car out etc for a spin and the fuel door failed, as did the boot opening button.

Came back in the morning - this time without disconnecting the battery - pressed both buttons, and - miracle - everything back to normal... sweet Jesus.

4. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Not so bad then.

Try getting stuck inside a 2002+ Maserati Convertible and the battery becomes disconnected (wong battery cable/post style) or it's suddenly dead. That car requires the windows to go down a bit for the doors to open. Otherwise you have to push the window glass past the rubber seal by forcing the doors open. :eek:

5. Pav

Pav Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 18, 2006
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    Michal
    As i understand this happened to you before? I wonder how is it with modern era cars from the 90s that didnt have emergency release devices, but already the windows down feature. 456GT to start with.

6. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I can't say what really happened with yours and no I haven't had to do this on my 84 but I also have a Ghibli Open Cup which has no door at all and no trunk liner so I'm familiar with what's in there already. The hole behind the license plate has been there for a long time.

On my Bora there are two access panels in the rear wheel wells for emergency release of the hatch should those cables fail. I don't know about the front luggage compartment as mine pivots from the front. Perhaps somewhere under the dash, I've never looked.

But the worst that I own is my Espada. There's nothing for the rear hatch which is mostly glass as is the panel directly below it. So it's very hard to hide something. I've looked and I'm not sure where or how you'd route an emergency cable in there to the outside? I've disassembled those latches a couple of times and they're a SOB with the hatch open to get at so I can't image how to do it closed or even how to crawl into the back of the car! It wouldn't be me! A real horror show.

Count your blessings! :)

7. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
  8. Pav

Pav Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 18, 2006
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    Michal
    Didnt know he ran a Shamal register as well. I was following some other cars couple of years ago there...

Interesting