Sharpening a street-driven 599 | FerrariChat

Sharpening a street-driven 599

Discussion in '612/599' started by redhotcar, Feb 23, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. redhotcar

redhotcar Rookie

May 17, 2021
    Full Name:
    Louis
    Hi Folks,

I've been looking at trying to sharpen a 599 GTB (non HGTE) vs getting an HGTE. I know there were KW coilovers made for the car, and that various parts of the HGTE package can be installed post-hoc (a local dealer quoted me 30K for "HGTE" without really getting into any specifics). I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the KWs versus the HGTE package, and what their opinions were. I'm also wondering if it's possible to get the suspension set-up from a GTO (or something analogous)? I've looked around on these forums, and though the question's been asked a few times no one with direct experience with both ever chimed in in the past. Sorry if I missed the comparo somehow.

2. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles

Sorry I do not have any experience with after market KW Coilovers.

I currently own a 599GTB with HGTE Dealer fitted kit and I have previously owned a 599 GTB without.

I can confirm that upgrade assisted with the pitch and dive which is less pronounced. The turn in is better and the rear roll bar helps with the overall body roll which is well worth it.

I haven't really noticed the shift times as I lift off to try and smooth out the lurching.

Auto mode still lurches far too much for my liking.

Attached is the literature from the factory regarding the HGTE pack.

Attached Files:

3. C4YES

C4YES Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 7, 2008
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Ceika also makes coilovers for 599s.

4. redhotcar

redhotcar Rookie

May 17, 2021
    Full Name:
    Louis
    Do you have any experience with the Ceika’s? That’s not a brand I know…

More broadly been looking at getting larger wheels to use the GTO’s tire sizes (so I think 275s on the front) and am wanting an appropriately stiffened suspension to take best advantage of that.

5. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel

Have a set original GTO wheels with tires (GTO spec) for sale.
    Condition is like new
    Not cheap

Daniel

6. C4YES

C4YES Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 7, 2008
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Todd

No exp w Ceika. I ran 275 up front on Novitec NF3 wheels and now am running 295 on NF4 for the front. Wide. 10" wide front wheel!

7. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    A lot of the sharpening your looking for can be done through software calibration and some parts like anti roll bars. Recently did a lot of work on the 599, pm me for more information.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

Condor Man, of2worlds and Skidkid like this.
  8. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Trev,

How do you rate the importance of stiffer springs?

of2worlds likes this.
  9. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I can relate to your excitement to improve the 599. I did something similar with an '07 Mustang. By the time I was done I had a track car that was only missing the cage. The ride was horrible, but it was very fast, short shifts, very low, great brakes, super hard ride.
    Which is why now with my 599 I'm very careful about the upgrades I'm doing. I'm about to replace the front shocks and I have decided to keep the the OEM springs. I don't need the hard ride on the streets and highways.

Rex71, DZ-96 and Skidkid like this.
  10. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Exactly! I love the 599, it is an amazing GT. My wife has fallen asleep in the car on the way to Monterey but if I put the pedal down, it is a fire breathing beast. MUCH faster than is safe or even vaguely wise on the streets. In the past I had a 240Z that had gone down that rabbit hole. Super fun to drive but the smallest pebble felt like I ran over a curb. I value the 599 for what it is and if I am going to build a track car, I will purpose build for the track.

DZ-96 likes this.
  11. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    With heavy rims you only "sharpen" the wallet of the rim seller.

Daniel

Skidkid likes this.
  12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I do not know about the NF3 and NF4, but my old set of NF2s weighed a ton and really affected ride. The GTO wheels are likely quite a bit lighter than any of them.

Skidkid likes this.