Shift Cable Joint Installation | FerrariChat

Shift Cable Joint Installation

Discussion in '360/430' started by jcurry, Nov 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    While performing fluid changes on my 360 I was looking things over and noticed that one of the bushings on the shift cable at the transmission had some play. So ordered the parts, pn 182435 (item 66 in pic). The end of the cable is a threaded rod (M6x1.0). The bushing consists of a rubber block surround by a stamped/bent metal strap with two tangs. These tangs fit over the threaded rod and have a sleeve clamping them to the rod. There is also a stop nut to prevent the sleeve from backing off. When I removed the discrepant part the tangs had thread grooves in them (the whole thing screwed off without having to remove the sleeve). The new part does not have thread grooves in the tangs. This spreads the tangs out and prevents the sleeve from being installed. So the question is, how the hell do you install this thing. lol. Do you have to use a tap and thread the tangs? Or what? Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    What is the diameter of what i assume is a hole, if the rod is m6 and the hole is 5mm then that is tapping soze for m6.

3. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    How about some pictures of the parts (new and old) and the cable ends?

4. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Get those this evening.

5. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
  6. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Can you pop out the rubber and tap it like the one you took off? Or swap the rubber part into the old assembly? No harm in using the old top "nut/sleeve/collar" either. Looks like you could get it done a few different ways. What are you asking? The tough part is getting it the correct length to minimize the adjustment IMO. I am sure someone has done this before to offer some guidance. Maybe post in the technical section?

7. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I was just surprised it came that way. I'm sure Ferrari would just rather have you buy a complete cable assy with the joints already installed. Was just wondering if anyone else had tackled this issue before.

I did get one tapped last night and it installed easily. Doing the second this evening.

Kevin Rev'n likes this.