Should Ferrari withdraw from F1, has the bias gone too far? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Should Ferrari withdraw from F1, has the bias gone too far?

Discussion in 'F1' started by daytona355, Jun 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    A true tifosi doesn’t want to ever lose, but accepts being beaten if the circumstances are fair. They are categorically not fair. Enzo would have pulled us out and demanded the tyres be changed to suit all, and the regulations be changed to allow competition and improvement to level the playing field, don’t kid yourself. He did it plenty of times before, the fact you don’t know that shows you aren’t a true tifosi. Then again, we know you are an Elton fan, and since your man will never drive for us, you’ll never know the feeling of being tifosi

Isobel and 444sp like this.
  2. cairns

cairns Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2003
    Potomac MD
    Full Name:
    George Williams
    Its not fair!!

Repeat.

Repeat.

Repeat.

Do you have anything else to offer other than it's not fair and Ferrari should quit?

3. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    WTF are you on about Enzo Ferrari boycotted the 1st ****ing F1C race over money :D He was the master of boycotts.

He would of boycotted this weekends race the instant FIA ruling came thru on Friday.

4. cairns

cairns Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2003
    Potomac MD
    Full Name:
    George Williams
    Boycotting one race is quitting F1? Then by all means boycott. That'll really help. The sponsors will just love it.

And tell the FIA it isn't fair. That'll help too.

I know Binotto will turn it around. And someone other than the choke artist will win a title for Ferrari.

In the meantime, you fine fair-weather fans, do carry on.

ATBNM3 and werewolf like this.
  5. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Very true what you said, but you are talking about a different era. Things are a lot more complex now.

At that time, 50s and 60s, F1 entrants were not forced to participate to all the GPs, and they also negotiated their starting money with the circuits owners.

Now, teams are legally contracted to attend all the races, and a boycott would be a severe breach of contract.

Don't forget there are commercial ramifications that go well beyond the sport. Liberty could sue, for example, and maybe the French GP organisers, etc ...

The issue would end up in court, and I don't think Ferrari can risk that; don't forget it receives $95M a year, just to participate !

But leaving F1 at the end of the season and not renewing their F1 license would be a choice.

ATBNM3 and cairns like this.
  6. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    If Ferrari can't build a completive car with the tires supplied, eff em. And when hasn't F1 been a parade. With the exception of rain, failures and accidents, as long as I have been watching which goes back to the 70's at least, he who qualifies 1st usually wins unless he get past before turn 1, or because of a bad stop. I don't recall all this bitching when Red Bull was on top, or when Williams was on top, or McLaren, or Benetton, or...... Ferrari as always gone through periods of domination and periods of being dominated. BFD. Either you are an F1 and Ferrari fan or you're just a fair weather follower who wants to associate with a winner. Nothing unfair here at all. Merc is just smarter than Ferrari and has the better driver at the moment. I bet if you put Hamilton in the Vettel's Ferrari today for qualifying it wouldn't be 7th on the grid. And look at Charles. Same car, 6/10 behind Ham 0.36 behind Botas. Vettel 1.5 behind. Ferrari has a problem and it's called Vettel.

thirteendog, ATBNM3, cairns and 2 others like this.
  7. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nice post and as major engineers said its 80% or more car now. Ferrari need a better all round car to be competitive. They have a flawed aero concept and are simply out designed as well as driven. Even without Vettel the season is terribly difficult.

ATBNM3 and william like this.
  8. PerKr

PerKr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2007
    Mariestad, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Per Kristoffersson
    What would Ferrari be without F1? Really? Ferrari and F1 have been synonymous since the beginning. If they didn't quit when they were a mid-pack team with a crap car, why should they do so now? They need to get back to being a team, quit doing business "the Italian way" and look at what made them successful in the Schumacher era, what made other teams successful and what made them a losing team in the eras of McLaren and Williams domination.

But sure, they could leave. Focus on how to avoid success in other formats. I hope they stay though and that they get their act together.

9. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Ferrari fame was built on sportscar racing, not F1.

It's victories at Le Mans, the Mille Miglia, Sebring, Daytona, Monza, Spa and other road circuits in the 50s and 60s that made the brand famous and sold cars.

Ferrari had a grip on endurance racing up to the Ford invasion at Le Mans in the 60s, and then Porsche.

444sp, ATBNM3 and cairns like this.
  10. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    If Ferrari builds an inferior car, I’m upset, but oh well, maybe next year. This isn’t the issue. FIA allows idiots with agendas to become stewards and, on a whim, they’re allowed to decide the outcome of a race prior to the finish. Unless FIA can rid itself of these clueless, self involved, has-been parasites, they’re in jeopardy of losing their core audience.

After last week’s fiasco, the ‘true’ Tifosi and F1 fans in general should be as involved as they can be to demand changes. Fans have no better way to voice their concerns other than utilizing their singular means of protest, reduced consumer interest. I was hoping Ferrari would threaten to pull the team for the remainder of the season and I believe it is shortsighted they didn’t double down.
    Otherwise, we’ll be able to watch the following and agree Gilles should have finished seventh after accrued penalties from a former backmarker steward assessing additional time for unsafe driving, contact, blocking and racing off track...

daytona355, Jeronimo GTO and 05011994 like this.
  11. cairns

cairns Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2003
    Potomac MD
    Full Name:
    George Williams
    Isobel I agree with much of your post and while I heartily agree officiating could be better and more consistent I don't think Emanuele Pirro is an idiot. Far from it. And let's not forget what brought this all on was Vettel losing it under pressure. Again.

Neither Hamilton, Riccardo, Verstappen or others would be qualifying seventh in that Ferrari.

12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

If Vettel had hit the wall instead of skating on the grass at Montreal, that would have been the end of it.
    One can say that safety areas spoilt the sport. Circuits with guardrails like Singapore don't allow much mistake.

As for stewards, they were introduced in F1 at the demand of the drivers themselves !!!

13. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Alexander Wurz states that in fact this is the result of the rules/policy the drivers have asked for over time. GPDA was a force for this. Now they must live it. If reversed Vettel would be for a penalty. He has openly supported them. The rule used against him and he now thinks burn the rules book.

14. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

The stewards are not the problem. The rules are not the issue. Despite what some say here, I don't see anyone NOT having the rules enforced as they have been by F1 since I was a kid. Leading drivers get more slack than also-rans. Ferrari, unfortunately is an also-ran right now, and they're not going to get any benefit of the doubt.

When Schumacher was winning championships, a lot of bitching and moaning was heard from competitors about how he had an unfair advantage, that the stewards tended to turn a blind eye to his overly aggressive style, and would only penalize him when they felt they absolutely had no other choice. That's pretty much what Hamilton gets now. That's what lots of champion drivers have been afforded over the years. Only difference? He's NOT driving a Ferrari so it pisses all the Ferrari fans off and makes them scream about how unfair it is.

If Ferrari consistently put a great driver/car combination on the track, and was really competing for 1st place finishes, instead of holding guys off for 3rd, 4th or 5th, they'd be getting the benefit of being the number 1A team, right along with Mercedes. But, no amount of overt favoritism, or even bending the rules FOR Ferrari right now will make them competitive for a championship, so don't expect to see anyone in F1 cut them any slack. Build a better car, get a better driver, and Ferrari will get the most favored treatment that F1 has been giving the really competitive teams for years.

I wait anxiously for that day.

But, and you guys are right about this one, the races are won in qualifying and the pits, not on the track, 98% of the time.

D

TonyL, cmos, ATBNM3 and 4 others like this.
  15. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Preach!! Preach!!

16. Jeronimo GTO

Jeronimo GTO Formula 3

May 15, 2010
    So.
    Very.
    True.

stavura and daytona355 like this.
  17. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    Where was all this crying when the FIA gave Hamilton a 25 sec penalty at Spa 2008, putting him into 3rd and giving Massa the race?!

This was more egregious and yet celebrated here.

ktu, cairns and william like this.
  18. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    + 1

wonderful post :)

19. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    #44 DeSoto, Jun 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    Everybody knows that in motorsport money and politics are part of the game, but I think I´m being fair if I say that Mercedes has been given a preferential treatment without precedents in F1: free testing session, tyres á la carte (several times), rules á la carte, extra cash just for being Mercedes (at least Ferrari had to wait decades to get that)... Also, when a team wins too much, FIA always set a massive rule change specifically to screw them up, something that hasn´t happened with Mercedes yet. I don´t know what kind of stuff Toto Wolff has about Jean Todt, but it must be worse than Max Mosley´s nazi hookers.

Having said that, don´t despair: sooner or later the **** will hit the fan. Right now, our main concern should be that our guys need to be ready when the moment arrives. Time to regroup and prepare the counter-strike.

Meanwhile, I just hope that Liberty isn´t so stupid to screw Ferrari forever with the new deal, the budget limits, etc... They´re American and only care about quick cash: terrible things happen when those two things go together. Terrible things like IRL. If that heppens, screw F1: the ACO is desperate to get new entries.

Isobel, Jeronimo GTO and daytona355 like this.
  20. cairns

cairns Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2003
    Potomac MD
    Full Name:
    George Williams
    I remember that very well. I also remember, during the same year, the absolute class of Felipe when he lost the championship by one point. At his home grand prix.

Contrast his actions after losing the championship with those of Vettel losing a race in Canada.

Night and day.

werewolf and DF1 like this.
  21. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    And spends 300million or so, the team makes nothing from F1, it’s F1 revenue is generated from its own marketing and consumer goods, plus by selling the worlds best cars.

Leaving f1 would cost F1 the entire show, yet for Ferrari, it would be business as usual, and they could simply carry on as they are, maybe enter a works team in WEC or similar if they felt like it. No series would ever turn down Ferrari if they asked to join, and that series would be boosted to the top of the tree in motorsport as a result. Tv companies pay, on the whole, to see Ferrari, they don’t give a **** about force stroll pinko, or Williams, Renault, or the rest.

I never brought up Enzo not pulling Ferrari out of races, so please don’t knock people for proving those that did bring him into it wrong, and then try to tell us it’s irrelevant to talk about it anyway. The only people bringing it up were the Elton fanboys in the first place. As usual, when the argument is proven wrong/flawed etc, you guys all try to close ranks and pretend it wasn’t said, or was meant a different way.

22. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    He cheated.... he deserved the penalty. Why would it not be celebrated? Vettel never did anything wrong last race, he rejoined in the lead, from the lead, with a reduced advantage. No penalty necessary. The stewards cheated, whether under their own steam or under orders from the FIA and Mercedes, either way, the result was tainted, and I don’t give a **** what they stewards keep saying, they will never change their minds as it just shows they are incompetent, anyone else with a brain in f1 from owners to drivers past and present almost unanimously agree that the penalty was a shambles, and that f1 died a bit that day.

On the other hand, Elton cheating years ago got punished a couple times, nowadays he doesn’t, shows that Mercedes money makes the difference now. Most people celebrated not only the win, but also the fact that the dumbass finally got a penalty. Plenty of times even then he got away with murder.... cranes on circuits, illegal pit exits, crashing in the pits, walking on a live track, brake testing people

stavura, Jeronimo GTO and Isobel like this.
  23. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    So what? Who cares?

Isobel likes this.
  24. cairns

cairns Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2003
    Potomac MD
    Full Name:
    George Williams
    I cared. And every fan of Felipe cared. I gather you weren't one of them. Some people behave like gentlemen you know.

25. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    What has Felipe crying in Brazil after losing a championship in 2008 have to do with Seb being unfairly penalised by biased stewards, having a race taken away from him that he led almost every lap, in 2019?

fil, Isobel, stavura and 1 other person like this.