Should Max get a suspension from races? | FerrariChat

Should Max get a suspension from races?

Discussion in 'F1' started by daytona355, Apr 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    So, yet another weekend where Max dives headlong into a situation, relying upon those he is trying to overtake to avoid him, rather than his own skill, to make the pass. Yet again, it’s a Ferrari left spinning around in the dust losing another strong finish, and turning a good result into nothing.

Yep, I get it Bas, Max is a fast talent, a driver with some great car control when his head is in the right place, but I know exactly what is happening with him - it’s his immaturity.

You see it in his actions on track, he seems to build up his aggression over the race, his passes and his general driving get more and more like he’s pressed the ‘super boost’ button on his Playstation- suddenly he’s almost like the player that tries to hit the wall at the right angle to take him around the corner rather than actually slow down and take it properly.

You see it off track too, in his interviews. He sounds like a typical teenager, he sounds like he doesn’t give a damn, even his apologies are just for show, course he knows he did wrong, but do you think that apology Sunday meant he won’t be involved in that kind of mistake at the very next race? I don’t believe him at all. He is a typical kid, thinks the world owes him something, and believes his own hype.

Grosjean and others were making the mistakes this guy does, it comes from getting into f1 when the speed says yes, but th brain is still in school. He may have a super licence, but that doesn’t mean he thinks enough about what he is doing. Today he spun someone around, what if next time, that spinning car gets speared by the next car through the corner and kills the guy. What if he spins not just one, but takes out 3 or 4 cars, maybe decides a race, or worse, a world championship, with his ********.

I think the FIA need to take their own road safety and racing safety messages seriously. Max is like the ******* kid on the freeway, insisting he gets to the off ramp first, nothing wrong with that, except he still goes for the gap despite being two cars back from you out of sight when the move starts, and the move only becoming obvious as he appears between you and the off ramp entry, leaving you a split second to brake or run off road with your kids screaming in the back. He nonchalantly thinks that every other driver is his support act, that he is entitled to throw a move from anywhere and it’s everyone else problem to give up the place.

His own team mate is the perfect teacher for him, Ricci makes similar moves, but he does it with intelligence, finesse, and skill, and rarely gets anywhere near an accident, let alone the regular crashes max is involved with. It’s pretty clear even this weekend, starts behind max, ends up in front, and this time winning the race, just because he uses his brain as well as his skills.

Time for max to be either racing under the threat of suspension, or better still, ban him from 2 or 3 races to teach him to drive with brain engaged because this guy could ruin what is looking like a decent season for Ferrari, and that means F1 in general, because we haven’t got a Mercedes show going on from lap one of practice through to the final lap

2. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Max is so overrated

Lotaz, kylec, crinoid and 2 others like this.
  3. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Max is having a Maldonado-esque beginning to this season. Another useless error and he will suffer via the team who has already warned him(Horner) or others. He cannot afford to be so cavalier as to apologize, and then say he does not need to change. Wrong. Change is needed or he will be forced to address it. Talented yes, a WDC candidate...not at all. Not in this fashion.

crinoid and daytona355 like this.
  4. Jeronimo GTO

Jeronimo GTO Formula 3

May 15, 2010
    Very well said.

daytona355 likes this.
  5. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Even Vettle writes it off as a racing accident. Max got his penalty and its over.

ypsilon and Bas like this.
  6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Max is his own worst enemy. That was his win he threw away. That will teach him.

ypsilon and DF1 like this.
  7. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    I blame the current Super licence penalty points system which gives drivers 12 points for 12 months. That's just way too many points, Max is now on 5 points no real incentive to change his way.

Saying that he doesn't deserve a suspension for yesterday. It would of been better if he got a drive-thru or a stop go for the accident but I think FIA rolls a dice when it comes to penalties.

NEP likes this.
  8. Jeronimo GTO

Jeronimo GTO Formula 3

May 15, 2010
    Penalties are indeed a lottery... Not good for the sport.

Isobel and daytona355 like this.
  9. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Vettel has seen that whenever he speaks out, people accuse him of whining, and all the drivers have the odd case of brain fade, so yep, it’s just a racing incident.

The trouble is, most drivers are involved in the odd one over a season, maybe two. Max does that every ten laps he is in a race, the only time he doesn’t is when he breaks down. It’s too often to be overlooked, he isn’t in his rookie season, he isn’t new to this, he is supposed to be experienced and stable, a safe pair of hands. Even Horner looks pissed off with the constant flack he has to deal with over the guy.

The time has come for the FIA to make him sit up and really listen. Adding ten seconds to his time meant **** all at the weekend, the threat of a suspension, or indeed a race or two on the sidelines while Carlos sainz gets his car to show what he can do, might actually make the kid grow up a bit. Like I said, in BTCC or similar, one of the more experienced drivers would simply smash him off the track so hard he’d have a limp and teach him, you can’t do that in F1 because you’d kill him, but he needs a sharp shock, and if that’s not going to come in an accident of his making, then the FIA have to regulate his shock

Sharknose and NEP like this.
  10. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Will it? He’s a petulant kid, he probably went back and punched the wall because he got a penalty for something he doesn’t think he deserves to be penalised for, his ‘apology’ was because Horner made him take the pressure off the team because Horner sees more and more pressure from outside circling max now. If he tries a move like that in Monaco, he might block the entire track and screw the entire race so he must be made to plan his overtakes properly or to abort, and leave himself a recovery position, it shouldn’t be other drivers constantly paying for Max’s mistake while he smirks and picks up fourth place despite crashing.

NEP likes this.
  11. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    So far, they were forgiving his "excess of exuberance" because as long as only others were suffering his randomness, he was bringing results. But no more. I´m quite sure that now Red Bull is a lot more interested in keeping Ricciardo on board than before, just in case Verstappen becomes the next Kvyat.

Jeronimo GTO and daytona355 like this.
  12. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    this just in....

FIA expects more caution from Verstappen after Chinese GP Vettel clash adds to his F1 penalty points tally...per Autosport.

crinoid and daytona355 like this.
  13. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    How many points has he cost the team in the past 23 races? I was forgiving in his first year because he was fast, given last year's situation with Ferrari, he may have cost Vettel the championship (yes, Ferrari had the failures and Vettel was crazy at Baku). But had these not happened, did Max's stupid moves knock out Vettel?

daytona355 likes this.
  14. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Agree, He costed us a fair shot at the title last year, and yesterday how many points did he cost seb and Ferrari? Apologizing is not good enough, don't apologize, avoid the need ofrm them!

crinoid, NEP and daytona355 like this.
  15. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Unfortunately, I expect to get a parking space outside the shops every morning, but I have learnt that expectations are rarely justified. The FIA will likely be disappointed in theirs too. They would have been better issuing notice that he would be sanctioned for any further incidents for, say, the next five races, including and up to black flag and a ban, he might, might, listen then

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    No ban, but... A 10 second time penalty for punting Seb off the track is too little. He needed a drive through, with a 30-60 second stop and go. That'd put him at the tail end of the lead lap.

To punt a guy off the track, and never be behind him again is absurd. Track limit penalties are stricter. Had Max exceeded track limits to complete the pass, he would've been forced back behind Vettel.

daytona355 and NEP like this.
  17. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Would Max's penalty have been the same had he punted Lewis?

daytona355 and 375+ like this.
  18. V12 Speciale

V12 Speciale Formula Junior

May 22, 2017
    My favourite part was when someone said "Well he is young" but then Martin Brundel says " Ya but this is his 4th year in F1".......

daytona355 and 375+ like this.
  19. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Marko : Some say that you are showing similar traits to the guy you replaced, the Torpedo..

Mad Max: No way, at least they can see me coming,then they can get out of my way,more like the Exorcet.

stavura and daytona355 like this.
  20. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Lauda questions Verstappen intelligence

APRIL 16, 2018

F1 legend Niki Lauda has questioned Max Verstappen's "intelligence" after the Chinese grand prix.

The Dutchman's headline faux pas in Shanghai was a clash with world championship leader Sebastian Vettel, for which he apologised privately.

"That was s**t," Verstappen told Bild newspaper. "It was my fault but I cannot undo it now."

The 20-year-old is often defiant in the wake of clashes, but this time around he was criticised not only by Vettel and Lauda, but also his own bosses Christian Horner and Dr Helmut Marko.

"He needs to control himself a bit more," Marko told Movistar.

"I have told him that his time is coming but that he cannot overdo it. He knows that he has lost a victory and we lost a 1-2."

German Vettel said he is at least happy with how Verstappen dealt with the aftermath of the crash.

"I thought it was good that he came to me rather than doing it through the media. He misjudged the situation, made a mistake, and that can happen even if you have 300 races under your belt," said the Ferrari driver.

"But I don't think it's a matter of age. He already has a few races under his belt now. In such situations, he just has to be a little more patient," Vettel added.

F1 legend and Mercedes team chairman Lauda was much more critical of Verstappen, as his mistakes continue to mount.

"Normally, you learn from your mistakes, but it doesn't work with him. At some point, it's no longer a question of age, but a matter of intelligence," he said.

However, F1 race director Charlie Whiting said the FIA is not going to intervene.

"I think the stewards did their job and nothing else is necessary," he said. "I believe he made a mistake and got his punishment."

SimCity3, Flea7 and daytona355 like this.
  21. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Lets see how it goes in Baku.. leopard never changes it's spots.

daytona355 likes this.
  22. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    They'd better get their arms around Max the Menace quickly.

On the other hand, Ricciardo's stock went soaring yesterday. Ferrari better be
    taking note.

BHW

crinoid, jgonzalesm6 and daytona355 like this.
  23. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Max's approach to passing is simply: yield to me or risk a collision.
    He is hugely popular, puts a lot of asses in the seats, adds color(orange) and excitement to the races; perhaps that's why he hasn't been suspended. I think a one or two race suspension is warranted, it worked for Grosjean a few years back. I actually like Max--especially in the rain--but he can be a rock ape compared to Ricciardo.

daytona355 likes this.
  24. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Spot on assessment.

I think Lauda’s comments speak volumes too , and those of his own management. There is no ‘he’s young’ excuse anymore, and frankly, I would question whether F1 is the motorsport for him if he continues, because for all the positives of his undoubted talent, can we put up with his ******** and crashes just for the sake of fast?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

375+ likes this.
  25. YorkieV12

YorkieV12 Karting

May 23, 2014
    It's all crocodile tears from some of you guys...........all boo hoo for Ferrari.
    Seb left the gap open and Max went for it..........he's a racer....and a hard one.......get used to it. Where was the damage to Sebs car, or did he throw in the towel ?
    Schumacher never got slapped down for any of his un-gentleman-like tactics.......and Seb more or less got away with using his car as a battering ram against Lewis.
    Max goes racing.......Kimi will take him on, Seb won't, and neither will Lewis.......if he scares you, get out of his way, when all you are doing is holding him up.
    It's no use Lewis whinging about ''no-one has ever over-taken on that corner before''........Max can and he will, that's how he was taught, and he puts it into practice; not perfect by any means......but a delight to watch.
    You can't put an old head on young shoulders....he will have to learn, and he's got time to learn.
    Of course we want to see Ferrari in front, but we want them to have to race for it.......not to be handed a win on a plate, which seems to be OK for Seb.

SimCity3 likes this.