Should Max get a suspension from races? | Page 11 | FerrariChat

Should Max get a suspension from races?

Discussion in 'F1' started by daytona355, Apr 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Can you remember the race ?

I don't recall it off hand :confused:

2. Jeronimo GTO

Jeronimo GTO Formula 3

May 15, 2010
    I seem to remember two races with that kind of incidents between Michael and Hill:

Silverstone 1995
    Monza 1995

I never had much sympathy for Damon Hill.

3. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks, I found the clp

Bloody ambitious at best

4. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    See, I was thinking Silverstone, but my memory of the corner doesn’t fit s Silverstone corner.,. I wish I could, I’ll have to watch my races dvd to check, I know I have it somewhere

5. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Brilliant, thanks man, that puts a few to pasture doesn’t it, we are always hearing how mikey was the bad guy that year, now we know Damon wasn’t so clean after all

NEP and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  6. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

I agree. The FIA has removed virtually all danger and made the cars almost bomb proof. Even gravel traps were a deterrent to going wide.

7. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

+1
    Hill was clumsy at Silverstone. As clumsy as Max on occasion

daytona355 likes this.
  8. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Damon was an average driver in a great car, made team leader by the loss of a sporting legend. He talks a lot of crap mostly

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Flea7 likes this.
  9. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    Thread title update: Should GRO get a suspension?

10. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Damon was average at best..even Dc was quicker than him..but of course tahtw as at a time when Dc managed to crash in the warming up lap! Damon was seriously embarassed by the top drivers of that time liek Michael and Jean.

daytona355 and 375+ like this.
  11. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Well Max has made it 5/5, ran into the back of Stroll this race under a VSC. Who will he hit next time out? Stay tuned

12. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    heheh, almost missed that minor detail!...at least he picked a good target this time!

daytona355 likes this.
  13. Jeronimo GTO

Jeronimo GTO Formula 3

May 15, 2010
    Running into the back of Stroll... does that count???

:D

stavura and daytona355 like this.
  14. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Meh...probably not...not a real racer so i guess not....

WPOZZZ and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  15. Zisky

Zisky Rookie

May 12, 2018
    Long Island NY
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Max needs to race smarter , he has a great car and could be competing for podiums if he was not running into the rest of the field and pulling double moves.

After the crash with Ricciardo, I think Max will be on his best behavior for the next two or three races.
    ..,,,Then he will forget all about it and get aggressive again.

furoni and daytona355 like this.
  16. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    You think he’ll last two or three races in a row? You sir are a true optimist..... I’m predicting a massive shunt at Monaco, and am just hoping he takes out someone other than a ferrari

Flea7 and Zisky like this.
  17. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    How imminent is it that Max is no longer viewed as a future world champ or is this already the view of the F1 chiefs....?

william likes this.
  18. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Well..looks like Ferrari have not been exactly hounding him to sign for them.So he had to resign for RBR, he still has to make the final step up to cement his future.Six out of six so far this year,not exactly brilliant is it?

crinoid likes this.
  19. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    fixed :p

trumpet77 likes this.
  20. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I agree with that. It takes more than a few banzai laps to be WDC. Max has the speed, but doesn't show the composure and maturity to carry him over a whole season at the front. But Red Bull has gambled on him improving though.

crinoid likes this.
  21. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Max does not need a penalty. He does a good job self-providing those right now. He is the story for the next 2 races. Here and Canada. He has to be clean and composed.

Bas likes this.
  22. DF1

Perez voices his opinion of Max' performance - https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/136333/repeating-error-shows-verstappen-isnt-learning

Max Verstappen's repeat of his 2016 Monaco Grand Prix qualifying crash this weekend proves the Red Bull Formula 1 driver is not learning from his mistakes, according to Sergio Perez.

Verstappen ended up in the barriers on the exit of the Swimming Pool section at the end of Saturday practice after clipping the inside wall on the entry and breaking the front-right.

It was a carbon-copy of the error he made in Q1 two years (pictured below), and had the same effect because the damage was too severe to fix in time for qualifying so Verstappen will start Sunday's race last.

Asked what other drivers thought of Verstappen's crash repeat, Force India's Perez said: "Those things happen. But if it happens after you've done it [before] then it means you haven't learned.

"It can happen to anyone, we're all pushing really hard. If it happens twice then it means you're not learning about it.

"We put our wheels millimetres away [from the barriers], and from the couch maybe it's easier to judge.

"But you should learn from your mistakes."

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Verstappen has been involved in multiple incidents this season, most notably a clash with Lewis Hamilton in Bahrain and then clumsily spinning Sebastian Vettel in China.

The 20-year-old has been hailed as a certain future world champion, but 1997 title winner Jacques Villeneuve reckons the Dutchman will not achieve his potential without changing his approach.

"He's not calculating the risk correctly and that's what cost him dearly this weekend, because he had the pole or at worst the front row and now he will start last," Villeneuve told Autosport.

"So, if he keeps doing [things] like this he will never be a champion.

"Something has to change because since the beginning of the season it has been like this."

Villeneuve conceded it would be very difficult for Verstappen to calm down without losing the edge that makes him such an exciting talent.

"I don't know [what he needs to do to change], I really don't know," said Villeneuve.

william likes this.
  23. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Max Verstappen looked very fast and daring when he reached F1 because he was not only talented but also because he took more risks and had a narrower margin of error than a lot of his competitors. Inevitably, he suffered many incidents, contacts and crashes that questioned his driving..

40 or 50 years ago, he may not have survived beyond his first season, and could have ended in a burning wreckage on the side of the track after one accident too many, as many did then.
    Thankfully, motor racing in the 21st century is much more forgiving. It's possible that if Max calms down and starts to adopt a more conservative approach to racing, he may turn to be just another average driver.

24. DF1

Max should choose better words. Threatening physical assault is silly. Max I understand you are frustrated but you are a media story and you drive the car in public and willingly at that - Grow up!! The press is always like this .Rise above it and keep smiling. Please dont be a bit like the father!!

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/136585/verstappen-hits-out-at-criticism-of-his-season

A defiant Max Verstappen says he is so tired of questions about his crash-filled 2018 Formula 1 campaign that he will likely "headbutt" somebody if he is asked much more.

Verstappen has either spun, crashed or been involved in a collision at some point during every grand prix weekend this season so far.

His latest practice crash in Monaco, which put Verstappen at the back of the grid, left him facing calls from Red Bull team principal Christian Horner to rethink his approach.

But ahead of the Canadian Grand Prix, Verstappen made clear he was unimpressed by both those pleas for him to calm down and by media questions about his accidents.

"You know, I get really tired of all the comments of me that I should change my approach," said Verstappen, who recovered to finish in the points in Monaco.

"I will never do that because it has brought me to where I am right now, and after the race it is not the right time to talk.

"Everybody who has those comments, I don't listen to it anyway. I just do my own thing.

"Of course the beginning of the year so far, it hasn't been going that well and not in the way that I liked it.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

"A few mistakes, especially Monaco and China, but it doesn't make sense to keep talking about it because I get really tired of it.

"It feels like there are no better questions out there than keep asking me about what happened in the previous weekend. So I am just focusing on what is ahead, and I am confident that I can turn things around.

"The speed is there. I have always been quick every single weekend. It would be much more of a problem if I would be really slow, because that is a critical problem."

When pushed further to explain why he had crashed so much this year, Verstappen replied: "Like I said I get a bit tired of all the questions. If I get a few more I will headbutt someone."

Verstappen believes his 2018 incidents have been spun up into an unnecessarily big story.

"Two [incidents] were my fault, but I had three in one weekend in 2016 in Monaco," he added. "It is not that dramatic as people say it is.

"Of course I haven't scored the points I should have scored, but it is not only my fault.

"It could have been better but everybody makes it so dramatic."

25. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    Lol....

He’s 20 years old. I know when I was 20 I had a pretty short temper. He’ll grow out of it.

stavura likes this.