Should we ban Gary Green? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Should we ban Gary Green?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rob lay, Nov 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Should FerrariChat.com ban Gary Green?

1. No

2. Yes

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    It's great for those that have the ignore feature activated. However, for those that don't, when are you going to learn to just ignore him? Responding to *any* of his posts just invites more.

Don't throw fuel on the fire by responding to his posts.

2. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Mr. Green reminds of someone on the FerrariList, that went by the name of Lambodude.

Steve Cook says that he was the only person ever banned from the 'List'.

If someone contributes nothing to 'Chat' of any value, what is the purpose of allowing them to post.

From my observations, Mr. Green is probably a 5yr. old, who was able to to break into his father's password.

I'm not saying yea or nay to Mr. Green, but it seems that his only purpose in posting, is to create dispute.

3. Entelechy

Entelechy Formula Junior

May 19, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Chris Cummings
    This may surprise you, but I agree with Dave, and by extension, with Jet-X. It calls to mind something Noam Chomsky said - if you're really for free speech, you're for people's right to voice views opposite your own or that may upset you for whatever reason...if not, then you're not for free speech.

I genuinely like everyone on this site, but became frustrated by what I perceived as a "glut" by Gary Green with the old system. I even let it cumulatively build up to the point where I wrote an open letter to him; something I never imagined I would do. None of the other members who seem to stir things up on this board at times ever provoked any frustration in me (I think because on some level, there is a sense of intelligence there whether or not you agreed with their views), but the volume of Gary's nonsense forced one to wade through a lot of banal, inane, sophmoric, simian, knuckle-dragging waste (my opinion of course), just to try and get to the great F-chat content we all enjoy. The new software seems to address this.

And Spasso, Gary already has reinvented himself at least twice, as well as stirred up trouble for himself on other boards/forums. As I tried to point out to him, no matter how he attempts to reinvent himself, he'll never be able to disguise his sentence syntax, "thought process", or "intelligence level" (I use those terms in quotes loosely :) ).

My own take is that he does this for attention (it's almost impossible to conceive of someone lacking self-awareness to that degree), which is what he likes - he doesn't care if it's "good or bad" as long as he gets attention. If we'd all just follow Jet-X's suggestion, I have a hard time believing he'd continue to post.

4. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Hmmm, I do not think he should be banned ... nobody should. Just ignore him if you choose.

I am concerned for this guy. If he is young, then he needs to get out and get a life. And I say this with good intentions. Talking on a chat site is not how to obtain a social life ...

If he is older, then he needs a little help and by us banning him we are not helping ...

Anyway, not long ago he posted asking about Ferrari red paint ... heh, that is a step in the right direction :)

Pete

5. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Not all us high schoolers are bad! :p

6. Ontogenetik

Ontogenetik Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    >Please do not ban my account, I have so much I have to learn.
    >I promise to be as quiet as a mouse, You won't even know I'm here.

>From my observations, Mr. Green is probably a 5yr. old, who was able to to break into his father's password.

I would say he admires 'you' and aspires to be like 'you' and ... eventually become himself.
    And then he will not need 'you', and he will go away ... but he will remember you

Some lovely posts above.

7. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    #32 wax, Nov 10, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    If Gary Green doesn't end up being banned he should be required to use that troll as an avatar

9. Entelechy

Entelechy Formula Junior

May 19, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Chris Cummings
    Ontogenetik - psuedonym for Stephen Jay Gould? Perhaps you could utilize Mr. Green to demonstrate the importance of neoteny :)

10. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Even if there was internet access after death I somehow doubt that the ghost of Stephen Jay Gould would spend much time haunting Fchat.
    :)

11. pete04222

pete04222 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Maine, USA
    Full Name:
    Peter Cyr
    I'm all for free speach. If you don't like what Gary says then don't read it. If you read it by mistake and it bothers you, ignore it. This is the internet. You will not like everything you see on it. Gary has just as much of a right to post stuff here on this public forum as I have.

Gary - I would cool it for a while if I were you. If you want to be a part of this community you need to respect them to gain their respect.

12. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    The only right a Troll has is the right to remain silent.

Like driving, membership of any internet site is not a right, but a privilege.

Any site owner has not only the privilege, but the right to ban any user. For those who like to split hairs - split hairs ye shall have.

FAQ > What are the buddy and ignore lists?
    "Ignore lists are used for those people who's messages you wish not to read. By adding someone to your ignore list, those messages posted by these individuals will be hidden when you read a thread."

Obviously the owner of this site recognizes that in this case, he'd put this troll -- a long-time, banned-many-times-over troll on the former site -- on hisignore list if he did not have the "right" to ban a user. But he does have the right, and being a fair man, he's posed this poll/thread, with disclosure of relevant facts pertaining to this issue.

Should any owner of any site equipped with this "Ignore" feature, put each and every troll on his or her Ignore List?
    No. A site belongs to it's owner. It is any owner's privilege and right to ban any user he or she does not feel complies with the premise of the site's existence.

By the same token, should any owner of any site not equipped with this "Ignore" feature, simply afford each and every troll the opportunity to troll?
    Above answer to similar query applies.

I could split hairs ad nauseum, but I think the preceding paragraphs should clarify details.

As always, Darwin's Law applies.

I saw an old thread already buried in the archives before I even registered for the old board.
    That thread which lead to "Off-Topic" being created, was also the first mention of this very type of software with it's feature set - including the Ignore feaure. It's a feature - not a limitation to an owner.

As long as a troll is allowed to "freely" roam, it has a negative impact on a site. In this site's case, whether it was the old software or the new - or before there ever was an Off-Topic section on the former site's software - Unharnessed trolling has a negative impact on a board's membership, and that of it's owner, and the site's potential for sponsorship. An Ignore feature is worthless to a sponsor, potential or otherwise.

Bickering over some debate is an altogether different premise.

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in the court of Lay.

13. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    banning should only be done if someone explicitly violates some written rule.

people can choose to ignore this user and others.

it'd be neat if there was a way to say "i never want to see or hear about this THREAD again" - that'd be helpful in the fight against bucketheads.

my two lira.

doody.

14. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    I say leave the guy alone. Sure he's a ****, but as long as he doesnt insult anyone let him stay. Forgive me if he has already been insulting, but I just ignore his posts anyway.

Master Green - in the future keep your non Ferrari posts to the off-topic section.

Life is too short to let a guy sitting on the other side of the planet wind me up.