Silicon fuel hose issue? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Silicon fuel hose issue?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Crowndog, Aug 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Tony,

Viton is no more state of the art. It's FPM what's widely used for the inner layer of modern fuel hoses.
    The Nitrile NBR/CR-hoses (NBR inner layer/ CR outer layer) still on the market, are outdated. Even Wurth, who still sells them in high quality, says in their catalogue: "not suitable for fuel systems".

But the exact dimension of the crossover hoses is hard to source in SAE30 R9 (DIN 73379-3D), what would mean FPM/ECO-hose. (FPM inner layer/ ECO outer layers) Even over here in the metric world. And there is so much crap on the market which claims to be suitable for modern fuels. See the crossover hoses from a well know UK supplier, which fail after a few months.

Especially the crossover hoses are a sensitive thing. And I'm simply not willing to do the research myself, trying and replacing different hoses. So I just trusted Dave's extensive efforts developing a reliable long lasting solution for us some years ago. And for me, these hoses, though expensive, were worth the money.

Best from Germany
    Martin

Crowndog likes this.
  2. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Sorry, I have to quote myself to correct a mistake. Above should say "Nitrile is no more state of the art". Because 'Viton' IS 'FPM' of course.

Best Regards
    Martin

TonyL likes this.
  3. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Agree, there is a lot of crap hoses on the market and the ones on my car failed after 3 months despite assurances from the well known suppliers "they have sold loads of this and not had any problems" I guess most couldn't be bothered to complain. I did, I guess most just want to rid there shelves of the stuff and don't care enough that these can fail and cause a serious fire.

I have had no problem sourcing r9 fuel hoses over here (we are metric in the UK too) and they fit perfectly. SAE30 R9 hose is perfect for modern fuels but a caveat is - buy from a reputable manufacturer such as Codan, there are loads of crap goods on the market labelled as R9, it isn't, don't buy it because its cheap on ebay.

I would also add that selection of the hose size as you say is important too, many just measure the fitting and buy the same size. ie A 6mm OD fitting should have a 5.6mm ID hose, around 10% smaller

https://www2.codan.com/node/28273

available from 4.8mm to 15.6mm

best from the UK

Tony

ps who is Dave?

Saabguy likes this.
  4. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Dave Helms. Owner of 'Scuderia Rampante', who developed the SRI (ScuderiaRampanteInnovations) hoses some years ago.

http://****************.com/

Edit: what's wrong with this URL?
    Then simply google for 'Scuderia Rampante'.

There was an extensive thread back then. Can't find it any more.

Best Regards from Germany
    Martin

5. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    O.k., these sizes are easy to source. I have mine from Würth. For my carb car I just need ID 7,3mm (tank-pump/filter-carbs) and a short piece of 5,5mm for the return line to the right side fuel tank.

But where did you get the crossover hoses in SAE30R9, which are much bigger? Or even the filler hose?

P.S.: I bet I know, where you got the failing hoses :)

Best from Germany
    Martin

6. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Yep, you guessed :)

There is no need to fit R9 on the fuel filler as it not entirely necessary to have such a high spec product, I use these

https://www.thehosemaster.co.uk/hose-ducting/fuel-hose

The crossover hose is difficult to source I agree because most is sold in 25m coils !! when you only need 200mm !!

the well known supplier does stock the correct crossover hose (if I recall its 34mm ID) nitrile inner / CBR outer, so far so good with it

7. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    thanks, I tend to rely on my own research. Anyway they would look awful on the 246, no where near correct for the car :)

Best

tony

8. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Agree. Also, with the amount of posts about concern over engine fires and having fire extinguishers in these cars, installing "fuel" hose that is not appropriate for current fuel seems a bit like..uh...well...questionable decision-making. ;)

No offense intended to anyone making questionable decisions; I have made plenty myself and continue to do so. :)

9. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    I still hope, that Dave chimes in after the weekend.
    I'm fairly sure, that the inner core of the SRI-hoses is no silicone, thus not 'inappropriate'.
    It's now almost ten years, since the SRI-hoses are on the market and so far noone -at least here on FChat- reported any attestable proof regarding leaks or failure.
    Most debates over the years were about the price and the colour :)

Best from Germany
    Martin

10. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    For what it's worth, this is the area where I experience a fuel hose problem on my QV. The fuel distributor return hose wore through at the nipple coming out of the tank because the nipple comes straight out and the hose must make a 90* bend over the end of the nipple. Vibration and rubbing made the edge of the nipple cut through the hose at that point. Fortunately spotted it before any harm was done. I doubt the type of hose would make any difference. It's a design problem. The nipple should have the bend in it, not the hose.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Is it possible, that this was once a moulded hose?
    If space allows, I would just cut it longer, attaching it with a cable tie on hose #66, so that the bend is after the cable tie and not directly at the nipple.

Best Regards
    Martin

12. johnhunt

johnhunt Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2013
    Washington
    Full Name:
    John Hunt
    Are you smelling fuel from the carbs? If the vacuum flap is disabled (or removed) on the air cleaner then you would smell fuel at rest. And especially after a drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. conan

conan Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2011
    Just a question if anyone can decode the numbers on this hose (which can be found by searching for 114277).

I find it a bit contradictory to say NBR and E1/10 - but maybe the numbers mean something else? Who is the manufacturer?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    The outside color for Dave's fuel/oil hose was forced on him by his insurance company. OEM color Black for gas/oil was a 'NO-GO' for them to insure him.

His unwavering requirement when in the design stage was 300% of the then current MILSPEC Minimum.

Martin308GTB and thorn like this.