Skyhook or no skyhook? | FerrariChat

Skyhook or no skyhook?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by abarre, Dec 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. abarre

abarre Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Looking for a Coupe GT. Would you go for the Skyhook or not? In other words, is there enough difference to warrant the risk of $$$ repairs after the warranty is gone?

2. GregD

GregD Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I say skyhook.

3. millemiglia

millemiglia Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    please excuse my ignorance, what is a skyhook?

/Peter

4. mak

mak Karting

Sep 29, 2004
    Optional suspension which has 2 settings: normal and sport. Similar system to F in that it is linked into F1 paddle shift system (called Cambiocorsa at Maserati) so selecting sport affects both gear changing speed/smoothness and hardens up suspension...

Don't know of anybody NOT taking Skyhook and never actually driven a car without as dealers always have Skyhook-only cars... almost as difficult as finding a stick shift car... about 90% take the Cambiocorsa (F1) paddle shift!

BTW, Skyhook on GranSport has been optimised and is best yet. Go for it if that's what you're ordering.

5. millemiglia

millemiglia Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    thanks for the explanation!

/Peter

6. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    With the GT the sport mode only affects the suspension and not the gear change. that's one of the reasons I like my GT, I can get the smoother ride and the quick gear shifts depending on how I feel like driving. But truthfully I really do not notice much change in comfort with sport on or off. I think the ride is great either way

7. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I would say no. With an Italian car you want as little electronic options as possible. Italian electronics make Lucas look good!

8. vvvmd

vvvmd F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2003
    close to the Hub
    Full Name:
    Victor Villarreal
    The eectronics on my 355 are all Bosch. The sound system is Sony. The Maserati source its electricals from some one else?

9. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    No you are right and once again Frank is wrong.
    The Skyhook has worked without any problems for years in my Maser and is well worth having. Make sure you get an 2 tang clutch and the latest softeware flashes. Maser NA is very helpfull.
    Best

10. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    It has been my experience with older Ferraris/Maseratis with Magneti Marrelli as well as newer ones with Bosch electronic 'components' that the cars still have a plethera of electrical problems. It is usually the wiring itself rather than the component. And while Bosch and other non-Italian companies may be supplying the electronic 'components' themselves for new Ferraris and Maseratis, they still have Italian wiring and design done by Italian workers ! Napolis, you say I'm wrong, just make a perusal of the FC archives and see how many posts you find on electrical/electronic problems on the newer cars with the so-called superior components by Bosch. I think you will find that even a lot of Bosch components have failed...have you ever heard of the 348? Check out my post in the Techinical Section above.

11. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    A plethera of electrical problems? You sound like the Porsche dealer telling me that. After 9 months of driving I have yet to have a single electrical problem or any other problem. Car has yet to have to go back to dealership unlike my M 3 and Boxster S that both had a number of problems in first year of ownership. I am so glad I did not listen to your type of opinion or I would not have had the most fun I have had with a car

12. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    So what type of electrical component were in your BMW and Porsche?...Bosch I suspect.

13. mak

mak Karting

Sep 29, 2004
    I quote:
    "For 2004, the Coupé utilises Maserati’s electronic variable-rate damping, called Skyhook, as standard. The settings of the aluminium dampers is modified in real time based on driving conditions. Adjustment is in real time thanks to the Skyhook automatic damping control system using special proportional solenoids. Skyhook comprises a system of accelerometers, and a control unit that processes the data and governs the adjustable dampers. There are six acceleration sensors: three record the movements of the car body and are positioned in the front and right rear damper struts, two are inside the hubs of the front wheels and a lateral acceleration sensor is in the front part of the chassis.

The information from the various accelerometers makes it possible to establish the movement of the wheels and the car body precisely and to calculate the ideal setting for each damper instantly by acting on the proportional valve of the damper. When one of the sensors on the front wheels detects the presence of an obstacle it sends a signal to the control unit which compares it with the movements of the car body and adapts the suspension damping accordingly.

The Skyhook system, developed with Mannesmann-Sachs and fine tuned by Maserati, is 10 times faster than other systems available to date. It dramatically improves drive quality by adjusting suspension response – and hence the car's response – ideally and actively in all circumstances, resulting in optimal body control and outstanding comfort.

In addition to this type of automatic adjustment, the driver can also decide at any time to select different performance parameters. The basic damper setting can be set to two different levels, Normal and Sport, by using the switch on the dash.

One of the most important innovations in the Coupé 2004 range is the introduction of the Maserati Stability Programme (MSP), which is now fitted as standard on all models. The MSP integrates the ABS, ASR, MSR and EBD functions by acting on the brakes and the engine to help the driver control the vehicle even in the most extreme conditions. When the Cambiocorsa system is fitted, the system is also connected to the transmission in order to adapt gear change strategy to driving style. The driver can deactivate the MSP system using a special button on the centre console. For maximum safety, MSP is engaged automatically every time the engine is started.

The MSP system has two different levels of intervention, Normal and Sport, which are selected by the same button that controls the operating level of the suspension and the Cambiocorsa transmission:
    * Normal - enhances stability in relation to road surface conditions
    * Sport - focuses on performance, the traction control management moderating engine output less intensively"

14. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.

my 89 Alfa's electronics have been pretty solid, usually its the connection and requires minor fidling with.

15. GregD

GregD Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Skyhook , the little angel on your shoulder

TUBI ... for the little devil on your other shoulder.

I went with the following options: Skyhook, Xeon lights, Vintage package, leather headliner, heated seats, and TUBI..

16. mak

mak Karting

Sep 29, 2004
  17. GregD

GregD Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Greg

Ive had mine since June. Check it out in my profile.

Working on some sound clips for the Tubi. Will post them over there when I get it right.

18. scott63

scott63 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Get the skyhook for the simple reason that it does make a difference when driving and when you go to sell the car you will have a big problem if you don't have skyhook. All of the dealers I spoke to will not touch a car without it!

19. iufan993

iufan993 Karting

Jan 10, 2005
    Charleston, SC
    I just got a 2002 GT and maybe it's the only one without Skyhook. This was the 4th that I drove, the only without CC and Skyhook, and if anything it feels a little stiffer to me. Buying a used car and living 300 miles from a dealer, the less electronics the better. Two dealers also warned me of resale value without CC or Skyhook, but I, the buyer, think it is a flawed argument.

I think that every Ferrari dealer ordered their cars with CC transmissions because they are FERRARI dealers. I also think this is one reason that the resale has been so poor. CC plus Skyhook are about 12 grand of sticker "fluff" and add extra weight, electrical problems, and burned clutches in my eyes.

I have never seen an automotive journal review of a Maser without Skyhook, because all testers had it. Most, however, prefer the clutch.

20. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Your 12 grand for skyhook and CC is about double what sticker price is, also I think the skyhook is now standard with all Maserati's. I do agree that dealers push these things by telling you it will affect resale if you don't get. I did get skyhook but I think by going with a GT on my Spyder it will help resale as it does seem all these cars are coming in with CC and there will always be buyers looking for a clutch pedal. Also when I had my M3 SMG I saw a couple of comparisons that showed the stick quicker off the line than the sequential but have been unable to find any head to head testing on the Maserati.

21. abarre

abarre Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003

Did you get the Rossa Bologna Coupe from Cincinnati? Looked like a nice car...

22. iufan993

iufan993 Karting

Jan 10, 2005
    Charleston, SC
    Yea, that's the one.

The Rosso Bologna is not my favorite exterior color, but the interior is my favorite I've seen. A black car with ivory interior would have been my pick.

As far as the 2002 sticker cost, Coupe GT MSRP was only $77675. Cambiocorsa Coupe was $87165 and Skyhook was additional $2270.

Skyhook has been standard equip since mid-04. Biggest downside to not having Skyhook is probably that it is more difficult to lower the car.