Skyline GT-R | FerrariChat

Skyline GT-R

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Hiney69, Jun 29, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hiney69

Hiney69 Rookie

Apr 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Hiney
    Correct me if I am wrong, but i thought Nissan Skylines were illegal in the US...

Well i was on my way home from my drivers ed final exam and I saw a Nissan Skyline GT-R on the back of a truck. It had a license plate frame with our local nissan dealership name on the back of it and it was heading in the direction of the dealership. I have never seen a skyline on the road...just curious if they a legal in the US.

-Hiney

2. shiggins

shiggins Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    there are, or were, a couple companies that imported them and made them street legal in the US.

3. bboxer

bboxer Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2001
    Motorex in Gardena, CA, a mile away from Nissan HQ has been doing it exclusively since 1997. Their website is
    www.motorex.net

4. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I've seen 2 in Dallas, one just last Sunday. It looked just like an Infiniti G35 to me though.

5. shiggins

shiggins Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    you didn't see a skyline GT-R then. They don't look anything like a G35, at least not the ones we're talking about. Now, in japan the G35 carries the name skyline. So lots of JDM freaks like to rebadge their cars to say skyline. They are not GTR's, however.

6. taber

taber Formula 3

Mar 4, 2005
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Norman
    What does JDM stand for ?

7. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Japanese Domestic Market.

Poser Vocab 101, along with E-this and E-that when talking about BMWs.

8. CornellCars

CornellCars Formula 3

Mar 24, 2005
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Jason
    A number of skylines come in as rebuildable/parts cars etc, and get put together (especially in FL) as parts cars - ship the chassis etc minus wheels/tyres and motor/tranny, bring it through Customs, avoid the epa/dot headache b/c Motorex will not release the info on how they're converted, and put it back together, bring it to local dmv as a rebuilt from parts car, get yourself a title (branded iirc). I know there are a few of them down here that got here in that manner as not many GTR people are willing to pay Motorex's ridiculous prices.

9. Frozenguy

Frozenguy Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2004
    Bay Area, Califronia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    yeah motorex has a big monopoly.. my friend has an R34.. its so awesome.. and not only is that G35 not a GTR, its not even a skyline.. just badged.. the skyline is a cool car though.. the active 4 wheel drive is awesome because it doesn't start to get sluggish in higher speeds like other 4 wheel drive imports..

peter

10. shiggins

shiggins Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    Im not sure that it's poseur vocab, no more so than saying US or Euro spec when talking about a Ferrari. I don't think using E30 or E46 etc is very poseurish either. How else would you distinguish the various 3 series models? I guess maybe the guys with 996's or 997's are poseurs as well, myself included.

11. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Being a former owner of a R34 GTR, i can vouch for the car that they are awesome machines!
    Pity my one was a pig to drive as the ECU in it was ****ed.

12. mchferrari

mchferrari Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    Full Name:
    Matthew Holderbach
    I saw a Chevy S10 GTR. Who does those conversions??

13. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I wish I could say something in this thread...

14. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Looking into the motorex website. It costs 95k for a R34, and then 25k for the conversion.

15. XR4Tim

XR4Tim Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    Medina, OH
  16. R33

R33 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    Kent,UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Creed
    #16 R33, Jun 30, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Nothing like a good old Skyline conversation....:)
    This is my R33
    There are quite a few Skylines in the US now. As above,Motorex has been importing for years now,but theyre prices are extortionate. I reckon its about time other sources should be available, as they are great machines.
    Our guys from the GTROC club in the UK have without doubt some of the most powerful models around. Many are capable of the 200mph markand 1/4 times are dropping all the time. Lots of 8.5 & 9.0 sec 1/4 mile times now. Not everyones cup of tea, but hey, each to their own. :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login