Slicks on 488? | FerrariChat

Slicks on 488?

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by dperkins, Apr 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dperkins

dperkins Rookie

Apr 1, 2018
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Drew Perkins
    Hello,

I have a track day coming up in a few months with my year old 488 spider. I am working with my mechanic and TrackSpec Autosports (A racing shop near me) to prepare my car. I will be going with a coach, and my 16yo son will be driving a Miata with a coach as well. I might also let him drive the 488 as well. I have done many track days and I would say I am confident in my skills on the track. My son on the other hand has only done karting, but he is experienced in that as well and I think he will do just fine in a Miata. I am buying a new set of rims and tires just for the track and have been searching around before finding Pirelli slicks. Has anyone had any experience with these on a road legal car? I just want to make sure that the tires are a little bit forgiving, and don’t just snap oversteer without warning. I have read mixed reviews on these tires and some say they are great and easy to drive on, but some say they are near impossible to do well on without being an expert.

Thanks for your input,
    -Drew

2. SH488

SH488 Karting

Nov 11, 2017
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Sam H
    Drew,

I'm glad you and your son are going to be tracking your cars together - I track my car(s) with my two brothers but this spring/summer our father is coming with us to get his track certification in his FF!

I've driven on nearly every kind of tire between my 911 Turbo, BMW M4 and 580-2 Huracan (All Street and Track) and will be using the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 Tires on my 488 when it arrives. I've got my advanced certification for motorsport, and i've never had a random snap oversteer that wasn't caused by "trying" to kick the tail out, or going much too fast around a wide corner. I personally think the MPS Cup 2 tire is the best I have ever ran on the track and street, however I've never actually tried the Pirelli P Zero Trofeo R. Unforgiving no, however there is a certain way to drive on a slick but if you're driving at 7/10 aggressiveness and stay that way on a racetrack until you learn how the tire and car react to your steering inputs/speed, I'd say a slick tire is your best bet - you'll definitely notice a difference between a High Performance Summer Tire (Michelin Super Sport) and an R Compound Slick Tire (MPS Cup 2/Pirelli P Zero Trofeo R) in terms of grip/traction.

This is all based on my track experience and opinions, take it as you will!

Remember to have fun while driving within YOUR limits, that's what its all about :) (And post some pictures from your track day!)

All the best,
    - Sam

3. dperkins

dperkins Rookie

Apr 1, 2018
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Drew Perkins
    Thanks Sam. Unfortunately, I am using MPSC2 on my 488 as street tires. I was trying to compare something like a r888r/r7/RR. I have seen mixed reviews for the Trofeo Rs, and I think they are more street than track. I have used Hoosiers for my 355 in the past, but I know the pirellis are extremely different.

SH488 likes this.
  4. SH488

SH488 Karting

Nov 11, 2017
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Sam H
    Oh okay i gotcha, well i'd say definitely throw on some Pirelli P-Zero Trofeo R's or even better Toyo's R888 - which ive also used and loved, they just have weird sizes that don't always match what i need. I've heard mostly good things about Pirelli Trofeo R's from friends and others that i've tracked with who were using them, apart from not lasting as long as MPS Cup 2's on street or track - However you're already using the better wear tire on the street! Well done!

5. Joeyung

Joeyung Karting

Mar 9, 2011
    Kentucky
    First, I dont think you can find slicks in a 20" rim, which is what I think you 488 would have. Second, slicks are going to totally confuse the ABS and Traction control on the car. In short, don't put slicks on that car. The others are right. Trofeo R spec tires or some other sort of DOT legal racing tire is the best solution.

6. rlips

rlips Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    Slicks will typically require car set up parameters that are going to be outside of what you can achieve with stock suspension. Typically, they require camber that will be well in excess of what you will be able to achieve without camber plates or other suspension changes.

Even if you do get them to work, the added grip and g-loads they will generate will stress other componets in the car beyond what they were designed to handle.

In short, bad idea.

Manda racing, andrewecd and Joeyung like this.
  7. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    If youre talking R compuds, (which are not really slicks at all) I have used Trofeo r and 888Rs on my lotus. Of the two I would take the R888s hads down. The trofeos need a few laps to get heat and grip(theyre snappy at first), are good for 2-3 laps and then get greasy. Yeah for those 2-3 laps theyre about as good as a street legal tire can get, but imo theyre a con because only work for a few laps.

While each car is diffferent The R888Rs while maybe being slightly of the ultimate trofeo pace(for 3 laps)are consistent and have very predicatble breakaway.