Slow down "flashing" | FerrariChat

Slow down "flashing"

Discussion in '308/328' started by MAD308, Nov 6, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MAD308

MAD308 Karting

Feb 19, 2005
    Montréal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Marc-André Desrosier
    This week-end, I had the cylinder 1-4 slow down light flashing, only past 3000 rpm.
    Had to cruise slowly at home whitout any noticable mechanical failure or malfunction.
    Park the car in the garage only to notice some burned smell that quickly evaporated.
    Outside temp was in the low 40's.

What could be the issue.

Thanks
    Marc-André
    80 308 GTSi (33603)

2. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike

The flashing indicates that your catalytic converter was or was close to overheating. Your owners manual publishes the specification for the temperature at which the light flashes, and then at which is stays solid.

Did your engine feel down on power?

If everything is working properly, the slow down light indicates that the cat is overheating for some reason, typically, because unburned fuel is igniting in it, because you've lost ignition on one bank. In the worst case scenario, which is very possible, the cat catches on fire, then your engine catches on fire, then you are without a 308.

That you smelled burning alludes the possibility that maybe this happened. This is something you want checked out. If it happens again, take a look at the cat to see if it is glowing red!

3. MAD308

MAD308 Karting

Feb 19, 2005
    Montréal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Marc-André Desrosier
    thanks for such a quick reply Mike

And yes there was a somewhat loss of power, althought someone could argue that on a 308i there's not much power to lose.

In the meantime, is there anything I should look for, a DYI could do easily.

Thanks again
    Marc-André

4. spang308

spang308 Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2004
    York, PA
    Most likely you are losing ignition on one bank. Start swapping parts from one bank to the other (one at a time) to isolate the culprit. I'm betting a bad coil wire, but it could be a bad ground on a coil or a coil going south. Swap them one at a time until the problem goes to the other bank, then replace that part. I would first check the coil wires with an ohm meter and then start the swap program.

Good luck,
    Spang

5. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    See Spang308's reply below.

So you did have loss of power. On 308/328, losing a bank still results in very smooth engine running, due to the firing order of the cylinders - just less power. If you kept driving, your engine would have caught on fire.

Deal with this issue ASAP.

6. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Mike328-I just noticed your new headlamps, pretty cool! Very different look.

I recently had 2 few second blips of the slow down light myself, then on the last drive no light but a cherry red glowing hyperflow cat after a short drive. I've got a 328 so only one cat. Great for replacement but it would be nice to have one on each bank to narrow down which side the problem is one. My problems could be either side and who knows at this point. I sympathize with your problem, good luck.

Jeff

7. MAD308

MAD308 Karting

Feb 19, 2005
    Montréal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Marc-André Desrosier
    I have to ask :

Where are cylinder 1 thru 4 ? window or trunk ?
    I've checked everywhere without any sucess.

Thanks
    Marc-André
    80 308 GTSi

8. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    In your owners manual!

Rear bank = closest to the back of the car (the rear trunk area) = Cylinders {1, 2, 3, 4}

Front bank = closest to the front of the car (by the rear window) = Cylinders {5, 6, 7, 8}

See:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php

9. MAD308

MAD308 Karting

Feb 19, 2005
    Montréal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Marc-André Desrosier
    I was looking forward to that reply.

Thanks

10. desire308

desire308 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2007
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter W
    Please elaborate...I am curious.

11. spang308

spang308 Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2004
    York, PA
    When these cars drop a bank of cylinders, they run smooth but essentially turn themselves into 4 cylinders. They will still idle well but have the power of a worn out Civic. If a coil or coil wire went south on this car, one whole bank (4 cyl.) is not firing, but they are still getting fuel which is dumped out the exhaust raw and ignites inside the cat converter, thus the cat glowing red. Metal glowing red is a no-no and will eventually lead to a fire.

Get it fixed or park it. Should be relatively easy to diagnose. 308s are simple in this respect.

Good luck,
    Spang

12. MAD308

MAD308 Karting

Feb 19, 2005
    Montréal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Marc-André Desrosier
    #12 MAD308, Nov 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is what i've found so far : cylinder 3 is actually not firing, spark plug was smelling gas and, from the attached, it's abvious that the coil wire went bad.

Thanks for all your help.
    Marc-André
    80 308 GTSi
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. MAD308

MAD308 Karting

Feb 19, 2005
    Montréal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Marc-André Desrosier
    #13 MAD308, Dec 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Some more on my electrical issues.

I've disconnected both distributor cap just to notice that the one from the first bank had a hole in it. I'm suspecting that not a good sign. Could someone confirmed.

Also here are the Ohm reading I've got with the spark plug extender in place, multimeter at Rx100, from the top row of the scale :

bank 1
    distributor cable : 4
    cylinder 1 : 6
    cylinder 2 : 6
    cylinder 3 : 6
    cylinder 4 : 4

bank 2
    distributor cable : 4
    cylinder 1 : 2
    cylinder 2 : 3
    cylinder 3 : 4
    cylinder 4 : 5

Thanks for your help

Marc-André
    80 308 GTSi

14. Consejero

Consejero Karting

Mar 15, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    James R. Consejero
    Try removing the Cat all together .... shake it up a bit and make sure it's not clogged.

15. Consejero

Consejero Karting

Mar 15, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    James R. Consejero
    I have a question.... I took out my cats a while back and replaced them with test pipes thinking that they were the culprits for my exhaust headers turning cherry red hot. Unfortunatly for me they still do. Can anyone tell me what would cause the exhaust headers to run so hot? I've heard it could be anything from timing, running too rich, running too lean to a clogged cat. Since my cats are gone it narrows it down a bit for me.

Any constructive help would be greatly appreciated. oh yeah, 82 Mondial 8/308gtsi 2V same engines I believe

16. Consejero

Consejero Karting

Mar 15, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    James R. Consejero
    No help here, mine have 2 holes in both of them, one at the bottom and the other one like yours. I assume that since there's a rubber seal behind the rotor for the cams, that the holes are there to drain the oil in case a seal goes bad. If you just had one hole on the bottom, and the cap was sealed air tight, then it would be difficult for the oil to drain out.
    (much like your house drains, if you notice all your drains have another pipe that comes out the roof, this is so they wont create a vacumm and flow more freely). It needs another hole for air.