"slow down" light | FerrariChat

"slow down" light

Discussion in '308/328' started by dcence, May 16, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dcence

dcence Rookie

Apr 21, 2013
    So, I just bought a 1986 328. What is the "slow down"light for? Mine keeps lighting up at random times.

2. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    It's PROBABLY malfunctioning which seems almost "normal" at this age. BUT it might be correctly showing an overheated Cat. You need to figure out which it is. One solution, if legal in your area, is to remove the cat and install a straight pipe. Then there is nothing to overheat/cause a fire. I did that on my 328, not because I wanted to get rid of the cat but because the slow down light was false alarming so basically I had a non-working warning system.

The control units are not available so there is no way to repair the system if it fails. You can cheek/clean all the electrical connections and with luck, that might fix the problem but the odds are pretty good that the control unit has failed.

3. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    I've had those lights go on on my '83 308.
    Don't ignore them.
    They are telling you the cat(s) are overheating. Note the side of the light.
    It's also suggesting one bank is cutting out on you

Look at the easy stuff first -
    Oil leaking from the cam seals into the distributor cap causing a short/misfire
    All spark plug cables tight & secure at the plugs and then at the caps and coil.
    is the coil OK?
    How's the rotor?
    Then also check the ECUs in the back boot & make sure they are connected, dry, and the ground is good.

4. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I had the brake failure light go on once...scared me at first, but it was pretty obvious I still had brakes.

I'm wondering if the pads are getting low or something like that...not sure.

5. NW328GTS

NW328GTS Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Hal
    The front pads have a wear detector that turns the light on when the pads get thin and creates a ground connection through the hub.

When I rebuilt my suspension I found the wires for this system broken internally to the wire at the pad connector where the wire was flexing as the suspension moved. I disconnected it and coiled up the wiring and and tied it up out of the way of the front steering box and arms. I check my brakes often enough that I don't need a low pad/wear indicator and it wasn't working anyway.

Your front pads might be low... and the wire intermittently connecting. its worth a look at your pad thicknesses on the fronts.

6. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    I have had my car for a little over a year and I had the slow down light come on once.. completely my fault. I had *almost* reinstalled the plug wires correctly.

Lester

7. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Agree with the above - it could be nothing, or it could be dangerous.

When I got mine, I didn't notice (or didn't know to look, is more like it) that the slow down light didn't come on for a few seconds like it is supposed to when you get in and start up.

"Someone" (we don't know who, so I won't make any accusations) had disconnected the thermocouple, and gone to the trouble of snipping the wires and pulling them through so that you couldn't tell without a close inspection. One could speculate that this was done to stop the light from going on all the time and complicating the sale... but that's just speculation.

I drove it for a while thinking it was running a little lumpy. When I brought it in to my mechanic, he showed me the problem, showed me that it must have been done deliberately, showed me the totally destroyed Cat, and marveled that the car hadn't gone up in a ball of flames on the way to his shop.

So, it may be just a simple loose or corroded connection. But in any case, be on the safe side and don't ignore it.

8. viktorj

viktorj Rookie

Jul 22, 2012
    Adelaide, Australia
    Don't ignore it. I had the same issue in the first week I owned my 328. Turned out to be the HT leads but it could have been worse. You'll regret it if your pride and joy goes up in flames.

9. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I'm thinking that's it - I will check.

10. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Sorry to hi-jack the OP's slowdown light question.
    This should be in a separate thread.
    Do a search for Brake light.
    I don't believe 308s had the brake pad sensors. 328s I'm not sure.
    check your brake fluid level. It's also not uncommon the fluid float gets stuck, esp if you inverted the cap while you last filled it.
    Check the electrical connections at the brake balance junction on the firewall. water had gotten into mine.

11. RichardAguinsky

RichardAguinsky Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2007
    Palo Alto, Californi
    Full Name:
    Richard Aguinsky
    +1 on not ignoring the Slow Down light.

When I replaced the fuel injectors on my QV, the Slow Down light would also occasionally come on. I failed smog miserably. Took it to my trusty mechanic and the mixture was too rich, the cats were overheating. 10 minutes of his time to readjust the mixture.

You may want to look for a mechanic in your area to check the fuel mixture. There are several threads about this adjustment. It is in the mechanical fuel distributor, a plug needs to be removed to access the Allen adjustment bolt.

12. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    My 1987 328 began doing that (slow down light coming on) several years ago. I drove it down the interstate a high revs then quickly ducked into a rest stop with an infrared thermometer in hand. The exterior of the cat was about 700 F, not too hot in my opinion as I have seen them glow on other cars which means 1200 F. So I ignored the light for many months and went on my merry way.

One day I decided to crudely check the oxygen sensor by removing it and and attaching it to a multimeter while using a propane torch to heat the business end. Mine was very sluggish and did not put out much voltage. I no longer recall what the voltage should be but knew then and it was insufficient, and as mentioned, sluggish in changing. What prompted me to do this was the sudden drop off in fuel mileage on another vehicle of mine. I tested its oxygen sensor and found it sluggish and putting out low voltages. Replacing it fixed the fuel mileage problem. That car has no slow down light.

So I replaced the sensor in the 328. After about 1/2 hour of driving the slow down light quite coming on and has not come on since other than the test phase when you first start the car. Your results may vary. Good luck.

13. DANCER308

DANCER308 Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    KY
    Full Name:
    Dan
    My cats have been removed. I'm thinking about using the slow down lights for turn signal indicators. Maybe then I won't forget to turn them off.

14. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    Good one!