slow windows (again) | FerrariChat

slow windows (again)

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by ferralc, Apr 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Guys does anybody know of a DIY instructions to apply fresh grease to the slow windows problem?
    I could not find anything with the search function.
    My windows are slow and they get better on a hot day, so I assume the grease is hardened as others have experienced. Is there a risk of operating the windows this way? like actually damage the motors due to the extra effort? thanks

2. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Fernando,

I do not which car you have, but there are a few guides/overviews for 308's... and for the most part the approach is the same for pretty much all of the older cars. Birdman also created a step by step for the 308 that you might find helpful:

http://www.birdman308.com/service/windowservice/index.html

Is there a risk to not sorting it out? There is, as the extra "drag" on the system components (motor, cable, bushings, gears, etc) can cause any one (or several) of these components to prematurely fail.

Cheers,

Sam

3. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I literally just did this on my driver's window and posted about it here. Feel free to look it up.

Relatively straightforward (but time consuming the first time through) to do. Take off door panel, loosen and remove bolts securing window to guide wire, secure the window by putting a 2x4 underneath it so it stays in the all-up position. Pay special attention to how the guide wire is wrapped on the pulleys.

The motor is mounted inside the door kind of under where the mirror is (just follow the wires). SECURE THE TWO WIRES GOING IN TO THE SPOOL SO THEY DON'T UNRAVEL. Otherwise you'll have a ton of fun rewrapping the spool :) some guys have taken a small block of wood, drilled a home though it and put a long screw with a butterfly nut on one end and put the two ends underneath to secure them (mentioned elsewhere on fchat)

Then undo the mounting hardware securing the motor to the door and then work to get the motor out, bringing the cable with it. Took me a little while to do so.

Once you get the motor out, take off the circular housing on the other side of the spool. Once that's open watch for the loose parts of the worm gear cuz they're easy to lose. Take all the old grease off of these parts using whatever means necessary. I just used rags, a tiny screwdriver and plenty of elbow grease. Others have used solvents but I didn't want to possibly melt anything.

After cleaning, coat all the parts inside the circular housing with new grease and reassemble.

A trick I found when wrapping the wire around the pulleys was to secure the motor to the door LAST. That made it much easier than securing the motor first and then trying to wrap the wire. Take off your wire retainer and tada!

Hope this helps!

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  4. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Thank you very much to both of you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    This is the best thread that I have found on the windows.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/lubricating-tr-window-motors.44288/

I followed his guide (which he provides a link to as a pdf download). I would be lying if I said I had no problems. But without this guide I wouldn't have even attempted it. It is a very tedious job. Take your time and be in the right frame of mind. And have your favorite beverage ready for when you stop each night. You are going to need it!

6. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Thank you very much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk