Slow windows, easy first try to improve things | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Slow windows, easy first try to improve things

Discussion in '308/328' started by Martin308GTB, Apr 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Hi John,

I believe it's nickel. I assume silver would have been too expensive.

Best
    Martin

2. Andrew McCrae

Andrew McCrae Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2016
    Ireland
    So I shouldn't plagiarise the design then.

Sent from my EML-L29 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. redqv

redqv Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2015
    Almost Oregon, California
    Full Name:
    Ron Stevens
    Martin, it is possible to get a wire through the wire harness going to the doors. I used a thin welding rod with lots of silicone lube as a snake. I was dreading it, but it was easier than I thought it would be. With separate relays and direct feed to the motors the windows work great.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Martin308GTB likes this.
  4. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Surely they'd be similar designs - Ferrari is not noted for devoting too much R&D to such peripheral things. And if it was changed, I would have thought the 308 one would be more efficient, and draw less current?

5. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Patrick,

I would have to check, but I am pretty sure the switch to motor wiring connections are the same. As for the motors...The 365 window motor/gearbox is very similar to my Boxer's setup (which should be pretty close to the 308), however, the motor characteristics would be different. I did not dig deep enough to determine if the differences were because of the different motors and/or the different motor load (different window cable routing, window weight difference, and friction differences in the window tracks). I would imagine it should be pretty close... but as you know, I am a stickler for details and do not like to gamble on assumptions. One thing is for sure, the relays I chose can accommodate a lot of current ... about 30A. These relays were targeted and marketed for motor control and are used for auto windows, sunroofs, etc. It is too bad that the manufacturer discontinued them. However, there is a replacement, but its current capability is lower (20A).

Going further I was toying with the idea of making the window controls a bit smarter. Effectively I would forgo the relays and control the relays electronically (FET based) and add smarts... For example, I could make the controller such that if you momentarily press the window button the window goes all the way by itself... or perhaps a slight press and go to preset height. If you simply press and hold the button you control the window's range as you do now. Effectively there is a lot of things one could do (remote control via bluetooth, auto slight open if the interior temp got too warm, etc)... the question would be be... does one really need all these "features"? For now I am staying where I am at and simply using my old school relay system. If I do decide to go more modern I can easily replace my relay module with smart(er) one... and will post up in 365 or Boxer threads... as I have already overly hijacked Martin's thread... My apologies Martin for my babbling!

Cheers,

Sam

6. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    Hello Martin,
    I found the wiring diagram for the 1981 308 and it already has a relay for the power windows. I suppose you have probably checked this out already. The 328 uses the same setup. I'll post the diagram just in case it can help.

John.

7. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Isn't that relay just for direction, up or down? It's not there to reduce current through the switch right?

8. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    No, the relay just supplies power, but you are correct about the current through the switch

Hi John,
    The relay is pretty much useless as a way of getting more power to the window motor. AFTER the relay, the current goes though the fuse box, then the switch, then the motor, with quite a few connector blocks along the way. A relay just before the motor is what's needed. That way the motor gets maximum volts, and the wiring only has to handle switching current

Martin308GTB likes this.
  9. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    Morning Patrick,
    See your point and makes a lot of sense. Without a relay powering the motor you end up burning the switch, haven't followed the circuit, yet it it's routed as you say, the relay in the fuse panel is as you say "useless".

Thanks!

John.

10. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
  11. BrockBenson

BrockBenson Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2018
    Australia
    Hi All,
    I'm investigating a slow window on my '85 QV. Wanting to eliminate the easy things first, can anyone tell me where the window motors/switches ground out to? Is it in the doors, under the dash, under the console?
    Thanks, BB