SMOG/ECU Question 2003 456M | FerrariChat

SMOG/ECU Question 2003 456M

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Mirek, May 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    The saga continues !
    So I just got back from a reputable (Non-Ferrari) mechanic I visited to get my CA SMOG Cert so I can register my new 456M (and THEN put Fabio’s pipe on).

He stated that they were unable to get a reading (or even connect) ? to my computer/ECU (same thing ?)

So he gave the car back no charge, he said to take it to a dealer and explain what happened. I JUST got it back from the dealership yesterday and cannot imagine my ECU is bad or whatever.

If anybody has thoughts or experience please let me know.
    I am not at all concerned about passing SMOG, I can accomplish that if umm...”needed” but I would rather pass for real.......but what the shop told me is of concern.

Should it be ?

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Sounds like they could not find the OBDII connector. Not that unusual.

3. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Sorry Taz, they actually found it but could not “pull” or “see” any data from it so they could not test.

I JUST had my battery AND alternator replaced at the dealer this week and after some quick research, I BETCHA I need to put it through whatever drive-cycles are required to check all the systems and make them “show up”.

I hope anyway.

4. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    WOW ! This place is amazing.
    Thank you so very much for taking the time to put that up.
    Amazing, thank you Ferraridriver !

I should go to a Ferrari expert for this right ?

Il Tifoso likes this.
  5. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Absolutely correct, Do you have a code reader. If so just drive the car normally for a couple of weeks then check to see if all monitors are set to OK.
    If you don't have one get one.

Il Tifoso likes this.
  6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    1st get a cheapo OBD2 reader dongle. You can get a dedicated one to a dongle that can blue tooth to your phone via an AP. Plug it in. If you cannot connect then...
    2nd follow Dave's TSB and add in the wire or have a shop do it. Fastcars in Redono and I think BlackHorse in L.A. is still around. People seem to like both those shops. There are others including the dealer. It might also be a freebie since it is smog and was a factory ommission that the FEDs got on Ferrari about. I would just call and ask if TSB FNA22A is no cost?
    3rd, once you can connect with your own obd2 dongle/reader you can see if your monitors are set and if yes go get smog check.

Il Tifoso likes this.
  7. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Very interesting and thanks for the recommendations, it seems like a huge mystery to me a few hours has been solved and I can’t thank you bits enough.

Il Tifoso likes this.
  8. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Jeff, the info on this board is unbelievable. I've never been a part of a car community with such in-depth, detail knowledge and the camaraderie to share it so freely and helpfully. I do like this place a whole lot!!

Il Tifoso likes this.
  9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Hard to believe any late US Ferrari did not already come with the OBDII connector fully operational, especially by 2003. This problem occurred pretty early in OBDII existence, which started in January 1996. Ferrari got in a lot of trouble with the EPA over that one and jumped through hoops to make sure it was fixed. Big fines otherwise.