Snow Tuesday to Friday! | FerrariChat

Snow Tuesday to Friday!

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by ghost, Mar 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    As of now, the weather report says we're expected to get snow/snow showers on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday of next week. It's the middle of freakin' March!! When is this bull-honkey going to pass. Sorry, just had to grumble. More snow = less time to drive Ferrari.

2. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
  3. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Magnifique! I like the "bluriness" you've added to the photos via Photoshop. PM'd you on something else.

4. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    SNOW! Enough already. Hey, won't be any on 4/24!

5. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Touch wood, Sam. Touch wood. Looking forward to hearing additional updates on ROE as we get closer to the date.

6. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    I _will_ it that there will be no snow next week. :)

7. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
    My friend Jonathan can control the weather. I'll see if he can do something for us... ;-)

8. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    you'll never again hear this from me but i hope i have school. We used up all our snow days on lame days where there could easily have been school. Now i only have 1 day for easter break, not 3. And i lost prez. day weekend.

9. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    well i just got out of school. 10:30. I have to work tonight though

10. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Well, now I know.
    Ferrari's (at least 308s) HATE snow.
    I had to pick mine up at the body shop and was trying to beat the snow to get home. I stopped at a light with about 1/8" on the ground. The light turned green and the wheels spun. Even in 2nd the car didn't want to move. Took it to a safe spot & tried a corner at about 5mph....slid around the corner. Fun, but definitely not the handling I've grown accustomed to. The breaking was OK....straight line. Glad it's home safe and sound. Gave her a sponge bath and will wash her undercarriage shortly. Poor gal. Must have been miserable slogging through the snow.

New rule......Ferrari *never* goes out in the snow.

11. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    I actually braved the snow last Monday and drove my 360 down from Boston -- did surprisingly well. Only rough spot was somewhere on the Merritt in CT -- a bit of slip-n-slide around a corner. But on the whole, I guess I'm surprised how far they've come.

But still, these babies are NOT made to go sledding...:)

nlh

12. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    ANY RWD car with summer tires is a hand full in snow.

13. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    I think it's more than RWD.
    My family had VW's while I grew up.....RWD & Stick....Marvelous in snow.
    My first car...73 Pinto...RWD - Stick - Marvelous in snow

Actually, I find FWD cars to be poor in snow (I've driven all sorts of rentals when traveling).
    My Contour ....FWD & Stick..heavy V6....is piss poor in snow. Come to think of it, Very poor to no traction in snow, heavy rain, loose gravel, dirt, etc. Probably a weight distribution thing...weight centered away from the front wheels.

I'm inclined to think the Ferrari has a tire issue and engine/weight distribution ...wonderful for curves, lousy for adverse weather. I'd bet it's not too swift in constant rain, either.

Anyway, I have a new Ferrari rule I will honor :)

14. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
    If you want to make your Ferrari work in the snow, get some 16" wheels and some Blizzak tires.

My old 996 Carrera 4 was TERRIBLE in the snow. Popped these bad-boys on (with a set of spacers, of course) and it was the greatest SUV ever.

From my experience, weight distribution is a big factor, but the biggest factor is tire width. The wider the tire, the larger the contact patch and the less friction per square inch. With them narrow Blizzaks and a deep tread, the car was unstoppable... unil the snow got deep.

15. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Correct, its all in the tires. I had Blizzaks on my BMW 325 which, even with the std sport tire size, cut through the snow. I have Pirelli wintersports on my 530, and they are even better. The summer tires wouldn't even make it out of the driveway.

16. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Tell your friend Jonathan that he's not welcome here... :D

Noah, we're not too pleased with you, either... :)

i HATE snow.

17. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    I don't hate it.....but I've had enough.

Ya know it's enough when the first robin of spring has an 1" coating on it's back and it's flights have been delayed or cancelled :)

18. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LMAO...!

19. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Yikes Clyde!! Must have been scary -- glad to see that she's home safe now. BTW, although I've never driven any of my exotics in snow, I know this is a common problem with the Porsche as well -- lots of embarrasing stories about being stranded on slight inclines in light snow conditions with wheels spinning.

Current forecast is for both Sat / Sun to be overcast, but in the high-40's. While this would generally be good driving conditions I presume there will be lots of muck on the road, especially if it continues to snow till Friday, which is what is currently anticipated. Let's play it by ear, but it seems that this weekend may be a quiet one. :(