So confused as to why front bank not smoothly running solo? | FerrariChat

So confused as to why front bank not smoothly running solo?

Discussion in '308/328' started by MRFOTOS, Dec 7, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MRFOTOS

MRFOTOS Karting

May 26, 2003
    Maui, Hi
    my 308 2V is running rough an backfiring. when I disconnect the main ignition wire to the front bank and the rear 4 cylinders run like they should. I reconnect the fron and the engine runs worse, I disconnect the rear Bank main wire and it seems the front bank only running on two cylinders.

Maybe I dont have the cam timing correct as tried to re-correct a poor cam timing job.

what I did before is line up the cam shaft timing notches (on the exterior part of the shaft) to the top of where the center of the cam cap would be.

the rear two aligns at the PM1-4 on on the flywheel, then set to PM5-8 for the front bank.
    and align the two notches on the front cam shafts.

Ive read contradicting info that says all 4 shafts should line up on the PM1-4 mark on the fly wheel.
    which is correct?

thanks for you help.

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Unfortunately for you -- this one (but explains why you are having trouble on that 5-8 bank).

3. MRFOTOS

MRFOTOS Karting

May 26, 2003
    Maui, Hi
    Thanks Steve for your quick reply!

4. MNExotics

MNExotics F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 13, 2010
    Good Thunder
    Full Name:
    Ben Gruenzner
    If that is the case your front cams are 45 degress retarded from the crank. If I did this in my head right, after correcting the timing do a leak down test paying attention and listening to the exhaust as those would be the valves damaged from such retarded timing.