So I did a thing last weekend..... Cirrus Content | FerrariChat

So I did a thing last weekend..... Cirrus Content

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by 360HB, Oct 6, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360HB

360HB Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 10, 2016
    As some of you know, I own a flight school at SNA. For the last several years I've been using a PA-30b twin comanche as my personal transportation plane. The speed and fuel burn are great, but the age (1967) not so much. I decided a week ago that I wanted a cirrus. So I bought one. I'm sacrificing a little on the speed 145kts vs 160-165. But my fuel burn is 8.5 gph vs 16/18.

The technology, oh how I love the automation and reliability of modern avionics. The old autopilot in the twin was downright scary at times. (I even have it placarded inop for students)

The roominess of the cockpit and comfort of the seats were what sold me. It's a great airplane and I totally love it.

I know I know the 22 is a better plane yada yada yada... It's usually just me flying so useful load and DA arent much of a concern. Me 200lbs + full fuel and a bag or two. If it is ever more than just me its me +1 to Vegas Scottsdale SFO or San Diego all easy trips to do with fuel at tabs. My typical missions are ~500nm or less: SNA-VEGAS, SFO, SAN, PHX, FMN. So i really couldn't justify the added expense of the 22.

Considered a few 182RG's but the tech won me over on the Cirrus. The Cirrus is also a much more desirable plane for renters. I'll easily get $225-250/hr here for it.

It took about 10 hours of transition training to get me feeling really comfortable (1200TT private multi ifr.)

Planning to start the Cirrus Embark program in 2 weeks (training provided to used purchases paid for by Cirrus) to get really comfortable on instruments in the plane.

Upgrades planned in the next year, DFC90, ifd 440 radios, and the Prop lever stc from Tamarack. The plane is a fully loaded G2 with Avidyne system (in warranty), EMAX & CMAX XM Radio & WX, lopresti boom beam hid, GAMI injectors, ADSB out, 3 blade prop, Amsafe airbags, chute due in 2015. It is the cleanest plane I've ever worked on.

I guess im providing the explanation in anticipation of the cirrus hate.

All and all, This is the best purchase I've ever made. I wish it was a little faster but I still I absolutely love it.

Vids coming after I upload em to youtube.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Cool! Those are neat airplanes. Congratulations on the purchase!

360HB likes this.
  3. 360HB

360HB Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 10, 2016
    Thanks!

YouTube link to flight home.

4. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Good speed for a non-retractable, ha... :)

What does "chute due in 2015" mean? (typo?)

5. 360HB

360HB Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 10, 2016
    All Cirrus require the parachute to be removed, and replaced every 10 years. The parachute is sent off to repack it, the rocket is disposed of. A fresh parachute and rocket are installed. Costs about 14-15k every 10 years and take 2-4 weeks to complete. I've got a looooong time till mine is due again.

6. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

#6 Tcar, Oct 6, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    So, your statement "chute due in 2015" means what?

2015 was 3 years ago.... was the 'chute done then?

Is it good 'till 2025? Didn't know it was 10 years.

Congrats on the Cirrus.

7. 360HB

360HB Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 10, 2016
    Haha yeah typo. And Imissed it twice even after you asked. It was last due in 2015, due again on 2025 when the cyborgs have taken the world over.

8. ersatzS2

ersatzS2 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 24, 2009
    Norfolk VA
    You made the rational decision. I just can't quite fathom the Cirrus-hatred. Cirrus dominates new aircraft sales, almost completely uncontested. It's no exaggeration to speculate would there be any new piston general-aviation marketplace at all if they didn't exist? The handful of 172s and DA40s sold each year include so many flight school purchases that it is not overstating to say that Cirrus is the only piston single for private use in General Aviation.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    I have to say that I've never seriously contemplated getting my pilots license. However this video has made me think twice. The avionics is astounding, what these planes can do is incredible. That with the chute makes it that much more enticing.

Then my rational brain kicks in and says if I do this then that's probably what's going earn me my visit to the pearly gates.

If I'm thinking I could learn to fly this then others who shouldn't probably are and are now flying.

Is my thinking off that with the ever growing technology making this easier and more tempting that this will lead to more accidents?

I'm old school and even with cars my kids are going to learn stick, if they want to take over my construction business then they will learn how to use a shovel and hammer. Basics.

Perhaps pilots of these new and future planes should be allowed only after so many hours in more traditional planes where there isn't the added safety net that makes me feel like jumping in?

I dunno, maybe I'm making no sense...

10. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    The new tech is making flying much safer. I recall that as glass cockpits have become more prevalent, accidents and death have declined pretty rapidly. What these general aviation planes can do is just incredible.

11. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    I’ll just add for the cost of an iPad and a GPS/ADSB receiver (less than $2k total) any pilot can be have an amazing amount of tech and information at their fingertips in the cockpit. It makes flying much easier, safer, and more enjoyable.

jcurry likes this.
  12. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Agree for the most part, but I recall that all too often I tended to have my face buried in the LCD screens instead of the windscreen. All new pilots should experience an aircraft without an electrical system for the shear joy of flying.

Ak Jim likes this.
  13. Ivinsea

Ivinsea Karting

Sep 7, 2016
    Southern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Ivin Seabrook
    I've been taking flying lessons for 4 mos and am having a great time at age 50....racing F1000 open wheel cars in SCCA is getting painful....need a more relaxing hobby!

There is a 22 at my local airport that looks great and got me looking at 20's....

Why is there an anti-Cirrus sentiment; is it the parachute?

Be easy on me, I am new to planes.....

14. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    There are several reasons why people have a bias against the Cirrus. Some are:

1) It’s made of plastic;
    2) Build quality wasn’t always the best;
    3) Not certified for spins;
    4) Early adopter of the glass cockpit;
    5) It’s not a “pilot’s plane;”
    6) It’s not a Cessna, Mooney, Bonanza, Piper, etc.;
    7) Those rich guys aren’t real pilots; and
    8) Real pilots don’t need a chute.

Some of those have more validity than others, but for all intents and purposes, Cirrus makes a really fine plane.

CavalloRosso likes this.
  15. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Has anyone here ever performed spins in a Cirrus? 'Not certified' does not mean its a deathtrap, e.g. a Tomohawk going inverted flat spin, just that it does not meet the reg regarding number of turns to recovery. Just wondering how 'exciting' they really are.