So I finally test drove a 458... | FerrariChat

So I finally test drove a 458...

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Fireman1291, Aug 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I'm a changed man!

I was at my local Ferrari Dealership getting new rubber on my Cali30 HS and took out a 2011 458 with full carbon options. A very choice spec'd sample. I gave it the beans in RACE mode and I'm hooked.

The most noticeable difference was the closer proximity you are to the front wheels. They are literally next to your feet and this translated to mind reading scapel like sharp steering. The sound of the engine just behind your head screaming to 9,000RPM's was the icing on the cake.

Now my Cali30 is not your typical Cali. It's lowered with Novitec's on ADV1's with exhaust and handles great and sounds amazing. But the chassis on the 458 is no comparison, it's night and day. I'm willing to give up comfort for it and have decided to sell my Cali30 by the end of the year. It's very very clean and well sorted so it should sell quick and for top $$.

I'll be reading up in here in the meantime! Hope to learn all I can!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login [

2. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    What a great story!

The 458 is indeed a revelation in one’s car experience and history. The 458 was far from being my first Ferrari and, God willing, it will be equally far from being my last, but it will always be my favorite.

The 458 looks great in any color imvho, but that nero with full carbon is probably the meanest, most aggressive look of all.

Hope you get your hands on a 458 very soon. Will be looking forward to it. Wish you all the best.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

3. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Congratulations! The 458 is the most fun car of any kind I've ever driven. I think you are reacting to the superior platform and how in sync the front and rear of the car are. Even with your changes, the California can't match that. The 458 on stock suspension rides very well so you should be pretty comfortable. Hard to tell from the pics but it looks like it has the new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires on it, which is a fantastic choice for the 458.

4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    458 is THE ferrari

DefunctNeurons, Chizz, Graz and 6 others like this.
  5. raclaims

raclaims Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2007
    Northern NJ
    Nice...I have a black 2010 over cuoio...so very simliar...I've owned it almost a decade now which is freakin insane...but it still looks amazing and shows how far ahead of the game they were...the sound is incredible and handles like a dream...I kinda like the bit of old school kick in the pants the shifts give you as well...it's such a terrific car.

6. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Couldn’t agree more. The 458 rolled out of the production line almost exactly a decade ago, but if I didn’t know and someone told me it was launched last year, I would believe it.

Most people who aren’t car aficionados and/or don’t notice my plates, people that I find while stopping for gas for example, think the car is new.

I’ve just spent the last half an hour in the garage just staring at mine for no particular reason, drinking its lines without air scoops, spoilers, etc. so don’t mind me. I’ve got a screw loose.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

7. triathgeek

triathgeek Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2010
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I was shopping for 430 5 years ago and made the fortunate mistake of driving a 458. Closing in on 5 years now & added 12000 miles and still love it. My 991.2 GT3 is a superior car in many ways but can never take the place of my 458.
    Welcome to the dark side!

8. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    GOOD CHOICE !

Welcome to the club :)

Fireman1291 likes this.
  9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Welcome to the wonderful world of sportscars.

It's hard to look back once you've moved on from the GT to a mid engined sportscar.

10. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    You have entered car Nirvana! People who have never driven a 458 and think the Cali is comparable have no clue. Glad you had the opportunity to drive it and will soon join the club!

11. 458 Spider 0414

458 Spider 0414 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2017
    MIAMI, FLORIDA
    Full Name:
    RAY
    Love my 458! You will too..

Ray,

LucasFerrari and Soundcheck like this.
  12. Fireman1291

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Indeed. My Cali30 is fast with the lighter wheels, intake and exhaust mods and I drive it FAST but, that SLAM into each gear in race mode on the 458 was pure bliss. The entire package is so blistering fast and well balanced I was star struck. That and I can just stand and stare at it for hours, the lines are so pleasing!

I can't wait to move my Cali30 and start shopping for a 458!

13. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    Strong car, only issues I’d be concerned about is the whole “brake failure” issue

14. Fireman1291

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Thats a big issue I haven't come across in research. What happens and are some years better?

15. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I tried a 2017 Cali T and was down to that and the 2012 458. T had more warranty and included maintenance for 4 more years, better audio/camera setup, price was very close. As a car I wanted to drive pretty much daily it ticked a lot of boxes and was better on paper. My wife was pushing for it.

But ultimately it did not tug my heart strings like the 458, with that same sharp, dynamic balance you described.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  16. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    Fireman1291 likes this.
  17. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    people get upset but the brutal reality is the 458 and cali are in 2 different leagues. if you drive a civic your whole life you dont know what ur missing.
    the cali doesnt get called the wifey ferrari because its not a great car - it gets called that because if you drive a 458 your thought becomes "maybe ill give the cali to the wife"

AD211, Clay512TR, Chizz and 3 others like this.
  18. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    soon you will be putting ceramic on ppf too, just a matter of time...

Chizz likes this.
  19. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Welcome to the 458 addiction club.

20. RWC58

RWC58 Karting

Oct 14, 2018
    Columbus Ohio
    Full Name:
    Robert W Crooks
    I just got done driving mine home the long way and just love this thing . The sound of the engine screaming at the back of your head, the looks , the handling the whole package . I could go on forever !!!

21. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    I drive my (2012) 458 now for 4 years, so 25.000 kms, incl trackdays … and am still very happy with it !

Clay512TR likes this.
  22. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Beautiful car. I remember driving my friends 458 for the first time. The very next day I ordered one. Every time I drive the 458 it’s like a new experience. Welcome to the addiction!

23. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    that's a great looking car btw

24. spyder625

spyder625 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2017
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    great choice and good luck with her