So much for being on "the list" | Page 2 | FerrariChat

So much for being on "the list"

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by fasthound, Jul 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    Maybe, just maybe FoW will change hands again?

2. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Whoa...looks like we have a communication issue here. I did not mean to leave the impression that they aren't honoring deposits for cars that are actually ON ORDER. I'm sure they have no choice but to honor those. They are not honoring deposits for future cars, such as the car to replace the F430, which is what is written on my order sheet..."F430 REPLACEMENT"...meaning no deposits to be on a waiting list. They will only accept deposits for CURRENT model cars when they actually write the order to the factory.

Sorry if that wasn't clear.

But that being said, they still were holding my money under false pretenses since they had no intention of honoring my deposit nor my name on any sort of a waiting list, etc. And they made it very clear (crystal, in fact) that I needed to have a business relationship with them in order to buy a car.....just trying to protect the true enthusiasts vs the speculators you know. They placed no value on the fact that I had purchased two Ferrari's at FoW when it was under different management.

So, for those of you who are thinking that they were not honoring ANY deposits from the previous owners, I apologize for the confusion. I don't think even a Ferrari dealer could legally get away with that. Well, then again.....just maybe.

3. teej

teej Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2009
    Pacific Palisades
    you should have offered to sell them back your spot in line for $15k and provide a copy of all the paperwork you have. In the end you'd still get at least your 10k back, but you could have some sport along the way.

4. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

on a marginally related note, the folks I spoke with today guess the car will be north of $300K with options as a hardtop, and $340K as a drop top.

And, they have more people wanting the car than they have cars to offer. At least for now. Once folks start offering dealers $50K over list price, some inventory may free itself up. :D

DM

5. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Dang, what sad story ...... you sound like a reasonable and stand up guy ...... I hope you get treated a lot better on your next prospective purchase ........ :eek:

6. f355red

f355red Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2005
    K-town NC
    Full Name:
    todd tanner
    total load of crap but commonplace. i know a guy who got shafted on the Scuderia in the exact way you did by the new owners of Shelton, now F of Ft lauderdale, who also own F of L Island.
    I 2nd the reference for Hank at FCI

7. BJMoravek

BJMoravek Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    Boondocks, Maryland
    I've sat on the sidelines watching these groundless accusations and insults cast long enough.

Firstly, you can't find two more honorable businesspeople than Bill Story Sr., Bill Story Jr. and the entire staff at Ferrari of Washington.

Bill Senior is undoubtedly one of the most successful dealers in North America after working his way up through the ranks - over many years - and has built one of the strongest Ferrari franchises in North America through nothing more than hard work, integrity and honesty. PERIOD!!!

Bill Jr. continues in his father's footsteps now at Ferrari of Washington. I'm proud to say that I was one of the first people to stop by the dealership and WELCOME both he and his father to Virginia.

You guys fail to recognize why the old Ferrari of Washington is no more. IT WAS A FAILURE!!

Now I speak from some experience of having RECENTLY ACTUALLY CONDUCTED BUSINESS WITH FERRARI OF WASHINGTON.

They assisted me in the sale of my car and the purchase of the car of my dreams. They moved heaven and earth to accomplish this for me. The entire transaction went flawlessly and I am most appreciative for all of their efforts.

Glenn and Petersen in service were exceptional.

Franklyn in sales was superb.

Bill Sr. and Bill Jr. helped me all the way!!!

Let me tell you a secret. The key to establishing a relationship with a dealer is simple:

Forget about deposits. Buy a car from them. Service the car with them. Consign the car with them when its time to sell. Stop by the dealership and talk cars with them. NOTHING ELSE....

Lastly, Ferrari of Washington does not ship cars to California. Why would you ever ship inventory from a stronger market to a weaker one and have to pay the added transportation costs??? Stupid business move and these guys ain't that dumb.

In the future I'd advise “Fasthound” to at least subscribe to the forum first before he spews his baseless venom.

8. Nahmeanz

Nahmeanz Rookie

Jul 4, 2008
    ummm, I don't see how this addresses FoW not honoring deposits on future cars that were taken by the former management and not communicating with the OP that they had no intention of doing so while holding his money.

9. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I think you missed the part where he already bought two cars from them and had a contractual agreement with $ deposit to get on the list for the next car. There's no excuse for this. I was lied to repeatedly and ripped off for thousands of dollars several times by the FoW service dept and will never spend a dime there again, regardless of who owns it. Many others feel the same way but tend to keep quiet about it due to bs politics. I've met Bill Jr and he seems like a great guy, but there's too much stigma associated with the place to think anything has changed. Fasthound's post simply drives that point home.

10. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    Hey BJ maybe you could "fall on your sword" for FoW and give Bill Jr a call and try to square away this matter of them "holding" 10 grand on more or less a lie.

If FoW is worth anything they will honor their original intentions.

It sounds to me that FoW is acting unethical and are taking advantage of people. Now I know we only have 1 side of the story, so we can't be certain of all the arrangements.
    But on the surface it sounds like bunk, and FoW is looking like jackasses.
    I hope they can square this matter away.

11. Philip in AL

Philip in AL Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    Hit um where it hurts! Call your local tv station advocate and tell them. Take out ads in the local paper, etc. Stick to the facts (u don't want to be sued). Make as much bad press for them as you can. They'll call you.

12. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Are you for real ?

You jump on your soap box thumping your chest like Magilla Gorilla yet do not even try to address the issue of this thread which is that the OP DID BUY TWO cars from this dealership thus establishing a relationship...its not his problem that it changed owners.

How about your buddies actually making an effort to form a relationship with a REAL BUYER ?

Some people....

13. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    C'mon don't you think you're being biased? Aren't you getting a 16M from them? I'd be kissing their a** too.

14. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Hey Joker, why don't you ask some of the people down here in Orange County about their business practices with long term customers who had thought they had a "Relationship" with these guys?

15. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    OUCH! This illustrates the BS politics involved in this whole discussion. Hard to tell who the players are without a scorecard.

16. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    You forgot "well moderated". At least i got my deposit back.

17. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    The bad news is that, so long as they return the deposit in a timely fashion, they are not really doing anything fraudulent, so you probably have little recourse.

As I've mentioned in previous posts, they are simply following the time honored tradition of Ferrari shunning it's customers.

Assume that they decided to honor your deposit. After all this, would you really want to buy a car from them?

18. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

DAMN, how could I have missed that? Thanks Ed.

DM

19. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

I'm not sure that's true.

If they returned the deposit because Ferrari decided not to build a car that replaced the 430 model, you might have a point. But they entered into a contract to sell a car, took a deposit, and now the cars are going to be made and one should be made available through FoW for fasthound.

fasthound gave them a deposit in good faith. The contract was with the entity Ferrari of Washington, not the owners of FoW, the corporate entity. Looks to me like they're still FoW, and should be bound by the contract. If there is an escape clause in the contract, and they're using it, then all bets are off.

But in as much as fasthound resides in FoW's territory, like it or not, his best chance of getting a new 458 lies in getting FoW to honor that contract. Nothing more or less. Once he owns it, he can get it serviced at any Ferrari dealer.

I'd still be pushing to make them honor the deal, like them or not. Service would not be the issue guiding me here. Ferrari territoriality would.

DM

20. Nizer

Nizer Rookie

Jul 31, 2009
    #45 Nizer, Aug 1, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
    2010 GT3s hitting the dealers now. No waiting and in many cases available below MSRP. Great car, no games.

21. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    The problem is, they are not Ferraris - yes they are great cars, no question, had them in the past but once you have a Ferrari, it is hard to go back. Yes, the dealers are a pain in the a...., they lie like hell and way over charge but there aint nothing like driving a Ferrari

22. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    I must agree.

23. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Folks,

$10,000 check arrived today today....no interest for the time they held the money under questionable circumstances...and on the paperwork it says "Refund of Deposit on Cancelled Ferrari Order". Yeah...that's why I got the refund...sure...OK....right....whatever.

Anyway, with receipt of the refund check (assuming it doesn't bounce), I am just totally done with this whole stupid affair.

Thanks for all of the comments, both positive and negative. Always good to have an open forum where folks can speak their minds.

Ciao!

Kevin

24. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I must with all due respect disagree, and I do have just a bit of experience with owning these cars as well as Porsches, and Lambos.

25. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    On second thought, I have to admit, all of those other cars, were no where near stock, so kept as stock, I agree.