SoCal Lawyer Needed | FerrariChat

SoCal Lawyer Needed

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by RandyT, Mar 26, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RandyT

RandyT Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2016
    Calabasas, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy T
    I'm looking for a lawyer to represent me in a custom car deal that's going nowhere. There has be continuous delays, endless excuses and promises never kept. I'm in Calabasas and the car shop is in Hawaiian Gardens. If you know a lawyer who can deal with custom car shops that steal your money, please let me know. Thanks.

2. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Sorry to hear about your woes. I had something similar happen with a mechanic and engine swap, supposed to have been done end of December yet here we are. It should all be done in about 1-2 weeks now. I had to throw the threat of a lawyer around to start getting responses (wasn't hearing from them weeks on end). Very frustrating, to say the least. In my case it was primarily an issue of them being backed up. I hope you get your money back.

3. RandyT

RandyT Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2016
    Calabasas, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy T
    Thanks for your reply. I hope everything works out for you. For me, it's time to bring in a lawyer.

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  4. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I did reach out to a lawyer but he doesn't specialize in this and I didn't actually use him so not sure how good he is, otherwise, I would have recommended him to you.

5. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Randy, I’m not too far from Hawaiian Garden, is there anything you want me to do or look at maybe snoop around? Just let me know.

6. RandyT

RandyT Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2016
    Calabasas, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy T
    Thanks for offering, but that won't help me. I just need to find a good lawyer familiar with these situations.

7. sf_hombre

sf_hombre Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2008
    Stimulus Bill
    Full Name:
    Don
    Randy. “Custom car deal” isn’t enough info to point you in a direction to get a lawyer that can help. Need more facts.

8. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    I use allot of lawyers, but as others have mentioned the greater the specificity of what you need will help with recommendations.

That said, refer to your contract first, as that is what the lawyer will ask for. If your concerns are not in conflict with the contract a lawyer may not be the best way to go at this time.

I have seen many people lawyer up early based on what was promised verbally but was not contained in the contract, and it was a very expensive lesson.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from using a lawyer, just suggesting you gather and review documentation before you do.

Contract Law? Fraud? Consumer protection? Criminal?

9. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Richard Williamson
    (310) 277-7747
    [email protected]

Rich is a good general litigator in a small shop with one of the lower litigation rates that you are going to find in Southern California. He has about 30 years experience, is a good guy, I know him personally and can vouch for his legal abilities and I have sent people to him before with good results.

Obviously while you are not going to find a litigator that specializes only in custom car deals, Rich is a general litigator but he is also a gear head. He has a number of Porsches and Harleys. So he gets it.

RandyT and miketuason like this.
  10. RandyT

RandyT Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2016
    Calabasas, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy T
    Thanks for the replies, and the lead for Richard Williamson. I'll contact him if matters get worse.

RonH likes this.
  11. lamontlawyer921

lamontlawyer921 Formula Junior
    Owner

Jul 1, 2010
    The West Coast
    Full Name:
    Scott
    SoCal1 likes this.
  12. turbolou

turbolou Rookie

Jan 24, 2012
    Lake Forest California
    Full Name:
    Lou Czarnota
    Try to avoid lawyers if poss.I have been in the auto repair business since 77 & been to court several times & won cause I was right. My policy was to always give the customer the benefit of doubt unless customer was in the wrong & unwilling to compromise.Your best option if you don't get satisfaction report the shop to the BAR. This outfit your dealing with may not even be registered. They will advise you if you have a case. Second option file with small claims.The work order estimate should be signed & if the estimate is to be exceeded customer needs to be contacted & agree to the increase if not the shop eats it. Also do some research if there has been any similar complaints. any shop owner with common sense wants no part of a potential losing proposition & will be inclined to settle if in fact you are reasonable & can look at both sides of this story.

Texas Forever, srslusso and TKSA like this.
  13. jippiejake

jippiejake Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
    I have a great lawyer who is a life long car-guy too..
    He's into English cars though, ugh!
    Mike Harris
    (310) 471-3170‬
    I have been using Mike for 20-plus years..
    Small office in the Westwood area.
    Fair prices too.
    A firmly worded but respectful letter might do the trick.