Soot around exhaust pipes? | FerrariChat

Soot around exhaust pipes?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by CaliforniaK, Dec 3, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CaliforniaK

CaliforniaK Rookie

Oct 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Katie
    Hi All,
    I have had my 2010 California for only a few weeks, but have noticed a lot of "soot" on the lower bumpers around the exhaust pipe exits. Is this a normal Ferrari thing? A normal California thing? Is it indicative of oil use, and perhaps worn rings? Is it indicative of anything?

The car we just at the dealer for the standard service, and they didn't mention anything about it.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks!!!

K

2. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Some comments are in this thread:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/black-soot-on-garage-floor-behind-car.44597/

I’m seeing a lot as well not only out of my pipes but on my garage floor as well as my driveway. Looking forward to hearing the feedback. 2010 new to me owner as well.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Common with all icb engines, and it is most often just carbon as explained. If there is oil in it, water,some agitation, and lighting at the right angle would reveal a rainbow effect. I wouldn't worry, unless you consume a noticable amount of oil and the residue is more difficult to remove.

Remember when your father would take the family car on a good hard run to “blow the carbon out”?

4. mobinakhtar

mobinakhtar Karting

Jan 28, 2015
    Agree with above posts - Its VERY normal.

that said, I starting putting in techron add-on bottle from COSTCO to my gas tank, once every two-three fills - that has helped to where soot is minimal. Don't know why, but it has helped.

AD211 likes this.