Source for 308 antenna mast | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Source for 308 antenna mast

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ClydeM, Jun 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carlrose

carlrose Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2003
    Thanks Alfredo. Just sent you a PM. Keep me posted - would be happy to pay twice this rate. Ferr UK have been wonderful folks however the website price listing is closer to 630 Euros.

:) Carl

2. wimeldo

wimeldo Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    (Spain)
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    Confirmed, the original antenna of the 328 is a Bosch ref "7 691 240 742".
    It manually allows to raise and to lower the antenna, everything or a little.

It is already put in my car, you are right, works perfectly.

Now I have a doubt, I have put the mastil totally vertical. Somebody has a photography of an antenna put in 328 to know that inclination takes originally?

@Carl
    Ok, tomorrow, if is possible to my, I will call to the distributor to ask to him if it has another unit available.
    You can consult in the shipment company that you prefer, UPS, FEDEX ect. whichever costs a shipment to you from Spain to your house.
    If encounter one, single one will cost 60€+16% + to you shipment.

Greetings.

Alfredo.

3. carlrose

carlrose Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2003
    Thank you very much Alfredo. This kind of help is what makes this forum a positive experience. I'll take two if they have! (smile)

Personal email: carlrosemdhotmail.com. Paypal, money order, check...whichever is easiest for you (traveler's check perhaps?)

Regarding antenna angle, my 328 is currently absent undergoing diagnosis about 200 miles distant (or I'd post you a picture this afternoon). Original angles backward slightly and leans outward away from body (sorry to be so vague).

4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Alfredo, as Carl mentioned, the antenna should have a slight rake backward, and very slightly away from the car to clear the engine lid. Also, you should use the square-ish looking cap, not the round one. It appeared from the drawing that two caps are provided....

5. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Carl, can I infer from this that the Mondial 3.2 and 328 use the same antenna? I am trying to indirectly determine whether the S-41 Dave recommends will work on my 1986 Mondial. Thanks.

6. carlrose

carlrose Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2003
    #31 carlrose, Jul 1, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Peter,

Enclosed are a few pictures of the antenna I purchased earlier this year from T Rutlands/Maranello salvaged from an "86 Mondial Cab" as listed on the tag. Note the sharply angled top nut. The two wire conenctors shown fit onto respective mates then plastic covers snap over. The logo on my 1988 328 original is white otherwise identical. I'm not familiar with the S-41 but if Mr. Handa finds that it fits, it fits.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore

Just put my antenna in tonight from Antennaworld, the S-41. Went in easy and works great, had to add different connectors to it to match up to the car, but no big deal. I also added the black mast too, works great!! Very pleased, especially for the saving in cost on this one.... I think the total, inclusing the additional black mast was under $50.00...

8. wimeldo

wimeldo Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    (Spain)
    Full Name:
    Alfredo

thanks Dave,

that inclination I give the antenna?
    10 degrees?

The socket that I have put allows to incline it.

Carl,
    I have called to the distributor and today it does not work, Monday I call it.
    For you it is sufficient with mastil 8 698 114 921, or you need all the set?

The web to the distributor is http://www.davasa.es/ing/idx-esp.html

You can read it in English, and his catalogue is http://www.blaupunkt.es/download/HZUBEHOE.pdf

Greetings

9. carlrose

carlrose Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2003
    Thanks once again Alfredo.

One or two masts and one complete antenna would be fine. If masts not available then two antennas would be great. Appreciate all your trouble on my behalf.

10. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Thanks Carl, I've seen a few threads about the S-41 fitting in a 328, just haven't seen anybody install it in a Mondial. It sounds like they are the same, so I am ordering one now. Thanks again.

11. wimeldo

wimeldo Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    (Spain)
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
  12. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    Here's a question i haven't seen yet.

I replaced my antenna with the S-41 and noticed, even on the Bosch antenna, there is some type of vent or something on the bottom of the antenna housing. What is this for and is it crutial for the antenna??? I found it VERY difficult to take off the old one and get on the new one. I ended up just making a slit in it so it would slide on a little easier. But did notice that it may fall off over time and with all the vibration.

My best guess was that this is a vent for the motor of some sort, either to help heat it up in the winter time or to get some cooling air up there in the heat of the summer????

13. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    I am still looking for an original designed antenna that has 2 power wires and one ground. I bought the s-41 and it will not work. Steve M sent me a wiring diagram but it is more than this non-electrical guy can make. If anyone has one laying around I would pay dearly if it worked...

14. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA

15. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I believe it is a drain for water that may leak past the seals and cap.

16. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    On the Harada, Bosch, Hirschmann it's a drain. small black tube connects from it through the carpeting hole into the fender well

17. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Guys,

Thanks to Dave Handa, Steve M for the help, and DGS for the schematic, after 10 years I finally have my antenna working!!! If I can do it anyone can, just hope the car doesn't catch fire!!!

Rob

18. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    So Rob, what was the solution? Looks like you had to "custom" up a relay to get the voltage going in the right paths....

19. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Dave,

On my car both leads were hot and the original motor was grounded, there have been several solutions posted over the years most with more than one relay, but Steve M sent me this diagram that DGS posted awhile back as a simpler solution, all I know is it worked!!!!!!!

20. hoffmeister

hoffmeister Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Baghdad...again
    Full Name:
    Jesse
    Okay, so what's the trick to getting one of these babies anyway? I tried the first e-bay link and won the bid and paid for the Harada and 2 weeks later got an email and a refund stating:

"I would like to apologize if you have not received any info regarding your invoice. We have been notified that the item was on a national backorder. At this time we do not know when we shall receive the HARADA MQ-1 POWER ANTENNA."

Next I tried www.antennaworld.com and ordered the S-41 (last week) and have still not received a shipping confirmation.

What's a guy gotta do to get an antenna for his 308 ;-)

-Jesse

21. 1975gt4don

1975gt4don Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    Robert and hoffmeister, just got off the phone with antennaworld, they are shipping my S-41 this friday at the latest. So Hoffmeister, you should be getting a confirmation of shipping by thursday or so. I will keep you posted on when I get mine. I ordered mine right away when I saw that limited quantities are still availabe.

ROBERT: mine has not worked in over 15 years! Thanks for the relay wiring info. I have been using this black flexy type of car antenna that works like crap, bought it from RadioShack years ago. Is not worth a darn.

22. hoffmeister

Nov 1, 2003
    Baghdad...again
    Full Name:
    Jesse
    Mine actually showed up yesterday, the same day I called them to check on the order. I guess it went thru but they failed to notify me via email. Oh well, at least it's here...gonna be nice to have the radio option again :)

23. hoffmeister

Nov 1, 2003
    Baghdad...again
    Full Name:
    Jesse
    Okay...I removed my old Hirschmann antenna. It had a 12v red power wire coming directly from the motor area as well as 2 thick black cords...one black cord was obviously the antenna plug and the other black cord was cut at the end which exposed 2 separate wires which I assume are the "up" and "down" wires. Then there was a "grounding lasso" hooked to the antenna which I assume came from the switch up in the console. So here's the question:

How do I swap out the new S-41 antenna for the original Hirshmann when there is no 12v red power wire coming from the S-41 itself? The only power cable is coming from the switch (connected to the new S-41) not the antenna motor.

Thanks,

Jesse

24. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I think how these antennas work...is that you have two 'hot" wires, and a common ground. One is for "up", and one is for "down". The fourth wire is the antenna plug. I think you said you hooked up the "red" wire and it went up....so the black wire is probably the "down" lead.

25. hoffmeister

Nov 1, 2003
    Baghdad...again
    Full Name:
    Jesse
    Dave,

After disconnecting the old Hirschmann, I had 5 wires (1 black ground wire, 1 narrow red/white striped "up?" wire, 1 wide red/white striped "down?" wire, 1 red 12v power wire, and the antenna plug wire hanging down in the trunk area. I'll try and take a picture tomorrow so it will be easier to explain. The way it's hooked up now I have 2 switches connected. The new switch is in the trunk next to the antenna and it will work both up and down just like it should, the original switch (in the console) will only move the antenna up NOT down. So either I don't have it connected up right in the first place or my original switch in the console (down position) is broken and/or not connected. After I figure out this mess, then I gotta figure out how to mount it where the original was. The outside black plastic piece is too large for the new antenna so I need to figure out how to make it fit. I've inlcuded a picture of the old piece, maybe someone has an idea.

Thanks,

Jesse