News

Spark Plug Wire Clips, 3D printed files

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by c4b4the04, Apr 21, 2020.

1. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    Hi all,

My journey to owning this car was influenced by many of you. I read up for years before purchasing my car. This is a way I can give back.

The factory clips are ABS injection molded plastic. They age and get brittle with heat. When I refinished my valve covers, I was hesitant to reinstall parts that were going to do the same thing again.

I opted to draw them in CAD and 3D print them. I used a nylon and chopped carbon fiber printer and they came out great. These tension-fit into the existing hollow "stems" left behind when you remove your factory ones. These require no glue or adhesive and will last many, many times longer than factory. I am sure other materials would be fine on other printers. If not, just print them again. My total production cost were under 20 for all of them.

Here are my files, please feel free to use them. I want to give back the way others have helped me.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4303259
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Ok... i take back everything i said about the nintendo generation.

that is some really great work and a novel solution!

4. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Now, if you could 3D print a couple of backup ECUs...

tommydogs, turbo-joe and vincenzo like this.
  5. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    One day... you can bet that the technology to do an ecu will exist!

turbo-joe likes this.
  6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    when I replaced mine with original some have been broken, the new ones

just wanted to download all but I got an error: 404
    when I download the single files it works :)

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    I would absolutely bet hard-cash that an Arduino Microcontroller could do the exact same job and cost about 30 bucks in parts. The Arduino is a very small and inexpensive computer that you can program and wire up to things. The ECU in these cars is VERY simple as you know and only adds/subtracts inputs based on sensor readings. That is the EXACT thing an Arduino could do. My car doesn't have 02's (Lambda, correct?) so for the Euro cars it would be even simpler. If someone was any good at programming, I think that would be an amazing project. Can you imagine a $100 turn-key solution that plugs into your existing wiring harness, and if it ever goes bad, a replacement would be 15 bucks and a flash programming with a USB cable?

turbo-joe and vincenzo like this.
  9. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    That would be a delightful solution to an obsolescence issue that many owners fear may ultimately be the cause for having to scrap a vehicle.

turbo-joe likes this.
  10. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    great idea, but for programming you need the datas from the orignal ECU
    I work a little with arduino ( have this in my koenig competition for boost conrol ) and I think this would be a great solution to replace the original ones. best would be then to use again the old housing, so nobody see a difference.

11. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I have the ROM data for my ECUs. As for the housing, it would make no difference to me if it looked different, in fact, an improvement in the housing that would improve reliability in the heat of the engine compartment would be welcomed.

There will reach a point when owners will be grateful for solutions that keep their vehicles functional. A "stock" look will be irrelevant.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    how you got them?
    can publish here?

for concours you need original ( looking) :)

tommydogs likes this.