Speciale in the Greater Bay Area | FerrariChat

Speciale in the Greater Bay Area

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Alex HH, Dec 12, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Alex HH

Alex HH Karting

Dec 11, 2021
    Zhuhai (China)
    Full Name:
    Alexis H
    Hello everyone 大家好!I’m based in Zhuhai , South China, and I’m currently on the way to Ferrari Guangzhou to pick up my 458 Speciale.

I’ve been living in China since 2009, I’ve been hunting for a 430 for a year but eventually gave up due to the poor condition of these cars in here. I decided to hunt for a 458 and things didn’t get much better.

I checked over 15 cars the last six months, test driven 8-10 and they were all rubbish.

I finally got lucky a few weeks back, in a Foshan garage (guy also had a Xbow and a Carrera GT mirage (go figure ). After sending my own mechanic then shipping it to the Ferrari dealership for a final inspection, I got a green light

Should be able to drive it back home in a few hours. Car is in great shape. 17k km , only “regret” is the fake stripe (sticker ) which I’ll remove as soon as I can do it properly.

Cheers!

ryalex likes this.
  2. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    How about some pictures? Or were they the ones posted in the 458 section?

3. Alex HH

Alex HH Karting

Dec 11, 2021
    Zhuhai (China)
    Full Name:
    Alexis H
    ryalex, 3604u and Art138 like this.
  4. AliPaPa

AliPaPa Karting

Aug 16, 2011
    I used to go to ZIC very often, but it is impossible now due to border control :(

5. AC6

AC6 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Congrats on the new ride!

Not surprised with the horrible condition most of the older models are in. I went to the Ferrari Racing Days in Shanghai a couple of years ago and was shocked at the condition of most of the client cars there. I remember in particular a F430 with terrible paintwork and a bunch of leaves in the rear air intake. Such a shame.

Your pics in the other thread suggests your car has Macao plates as well?

6. FerrariFinally

FerrariFinally Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2018
    Roseville, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Congrats on your Speciale!

I would be drooling all over the Carrera GT Mirage in Fushan though. Do you have pics of it?

7. Alex HH

Alex HH Karting

Dec 11, 2021
    Zhuhai (China)
    Full Name:
    Alexis H

Correct, after spending so much time test driving pure piles of crap, the only viable option was a double plated car from Macau. From the docs in there, looks like it was imported from Germany. It's left hand drive, which is easier for me to drive in the Guangdong area. I was considering HK since Blackbird had a super clean Speciale in stock, but RHD + yearly MOT (meaning a roundtrip every year at least) + super expensive insurance + the need for a roundtrip every 3 months made it impossible due to Covid situation.

So I ended up with a double plate which I took over from the previous owner. I usually take down the Macau plate since I'm driving it in Guangdong, and the plate isn't necessary unless I cross borders. If I keep the two plates on top of each other, it blocks the aero which is silly.

I can't really cross the border at the moment since I'm a foreigner (it would mean 21 days quarantine on return), so every 3 months, a guy from my garage takes it for a round trip to activate its allowance. If Covid wasn't a thing, I'd do the roundtrips myself ...

AC6 likes this.
  8. Alex HH

Alex HH Karting

Dec 11, 2021
    Zhuhai (China)
    Full Name:
    Alexis H
    Of course ;) I asked for a cold start, which he obliged, but no revving obviously. Just the cold start made me shiver though. And his selling price is not even abusive, considering this is a China based car (1m$)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Alex HH

Alex HH Karting

Dec 11, 2021
    Zhuhai (China)
    Full Name:
    Alexis H
    Shot a few quick videos too

10. mar76

mar76 Karting

Mar 17, 2022
    Sorry to re-open that thread but I find it hard to believe so many Speciale owners would carelessly turn their cars into "piles of crap".
    No pun intended but which red flags did you spot specifically while driving?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

11. Alex HH

Alex HH Karting

Dec 11, 2021
    Zhuhai (China)
    Full Name:
    Alexis H
    No worries :)

To clarify, "piles of crap" were 458 Italia. I was originally targeting a "simple" 458 but couldn't find any car in good shape, when I finally stumbled upon my Speciale.
    Had to prop up my budget a bit but the car was pristine, well maintained by a careful owner.

They aren't many Speciale on the market in here, maybe 3-4 publicly listed.
    And yes, you might find it hard to believe but in China, many Ferrari owners just go for the most expensive model they can get, in order to show off. But they have no clue about what they're buying or about the brand history. Car culture is just getting started over here.

Yes, you can always find passionate owners, but the ratio of rich people who don't really care about what they're driving as long as it's the most expensive and the most rare is quite high VS other countries I figure.

PS : now hunting for a 430 Spider to add to the garage. It's going to be a long road.

AC6 likes this.
  12. Alex HH

Alex HH Karting

Dec 11, 2021
    Zhuhai (China)
    Full Name:
    Alexis H
    Track is pretty empty these days, I'm doing testing sessions every couple of weeks, mostly on a race spec GT86 because I want to preserve the Speciale :p

And... borders are now re open ;)

13. mar76

mar76 Karting

Mar 17, 2022
    Thanks for clarifying. If those are high-production 458s, it makes somewhat more sense. Still sad, though.

Yeah Ferraris require ongoing love, time, and money. Even long after the purchase honeymoon. Widespread acceptance of those "rules" is prerequisite for a healthy secondary market. Which in turn will benefit all owners.

Good luck in your 430 quest. Just curious, what are import tax levels in mainland China currently?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

14. Alex HH

Alex HH Karting

Dec 11, 2021
    Zhuhai (China)
    Full Name:
    Alexis H
    ridiculously high. This plus the combined Ferrari “China premium” puts the 296GTS at about … 710k$ with some basic options ‍