Spider Rear Window Fix | FerrariChat

Spider Rear Window Fix

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by limbo, Nov 30, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. limbo

limbo Rookie

Oct 16, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd
    I have a 360 spider (2003) and the back window on the top is pretty hazy. I've tried to clean it with everything I have but I can't get it clear.

Does anyone know how to get these things cleared up?

2. wfo900

wfo900 Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2003
    Annapolis
    Full Name:
    Rich C
    I had the same problem on my 355 spider and I had tremendous luck with Griots Plastic Cleaner

3. limbo

limbo Rookie

Oct 16, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Wouldn't you know it - I have almost every other Griot's product accept that one. Guess I'll be placing another order to them today.

Thanks!

4. Martin D

Martin D F1 Rookie

Nov 7, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin Dietz
    try normal car polish. that should work

Martin

5. SGM

SGM F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2006
    Rockville, MD
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'll give it a try also.

6. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Try Plexus Plastic cleaner. Works great on the boat.

7. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Meguiars makes a plexi cleaner too. Use it alot on the rear windows of my old corvettes. Don't get any on the fabric...hard to get out.

8. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Most plastic cleaners are nothing but repackaged Novus. Look up Novus, they make three different versions.

9. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
  10. limbo

limbo Rookie

Oct 16, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Just wanted to give an update on this. I got the Griots Plastic Polish and it worked GREAT!

I couldn't believe how easy it was to go from a totally obscured plastic window to clear. Hardly any effort at all. That stuff is great!

Thanks for the tip!

11. magwheel

magwheel Karting

Feb 23, 2006
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Michael Simon
    As some of you know, I just got a 2006 F430 Spider with 1000 miles on her. She's in absolutely excellent condition, but.... the rear plastic window had some fog or a film dirt of some kind on her and was a little hard to see out of.

I went to the garage and dug out some plastic cleaner and tried to clean the window with NO success. So I went up to AutoZone and bought some Blue Magic plastic and plexiglass cleaner and ran home to see how it would do. Hmmm... didn't DO anything!

Great... just great. In a panic, I started looking on the shelves for something that might work and prevent the hyper ventilation that was starting to set in!

I stumbled across a green bottle of Turtle Wax EXTREME Cleaner and Wax. Just tried using a dab in the corner of the window and low and behold, EXTREME MAKEOVER!!! Worked perfect! I did several 6" x 8" areas until the window was as good as new. I'm guessing being a wax product of some kind, that the Turtle Wax will also possibly hinder dirt and whatever else that tries to stick to the window.

One problem I did have though was trying to clean the window from the inside. The glass or plastic wind diffuser panel was impossible to get my arm or hand over! I had to have my girlfriend get her small hands in there cause if I would have tried, I probably would have never got my arm back out! Hope this little tip helps somebody out there! Mags

12. turbotrip

turbotrip Karting

Sep 9, 2006
    Calgary
    nice, but we need before and after pics

13. magwheel

magwheel Karting

Feb 23, 2006
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Michael Simon
    Uhhhh.... I can show you the after pics but the before is gonna be tough. The window is extra clean now. I can throw some mud on it and fake the dirt! Mags

14. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Actually, we need pictures of your girlfriend, not the back window.

Extreme1 likes this.
  15. RobertM

RobertM Formula 3

Apr 17, 2005
    Weston, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert M
    I had a porsche cab a while ago and purchased the plastic rear window cleaner from them. Well a long time has passed and there really is not anyone that sells the plastic window cleaner from the parts department.

So I purchased the cleaner from Porsche and used it on the Ferrari. Works great. I figured if Porsche sells it in the parts department, they must feel comfortable with the product.

No issues so far !!! : )

16. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Just an FYI , but the plastic diffuser is removeable . I believe it has 2 allan bolts that secure the diffuser in place . My spider backlite also gets a film on it as well . Thanks for the product recommendation .

17. magwheel

magwheel Karting

Feb 23, 2006
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Michael Simon
    yello430, You are right on! My girlfriend noticed those screws when she was cleaning the window from the inside. I wonder how bad the wind is with the diffuser removed? I guess out of curiosity, I'm gonna have to give it a try! Mags

18. RobertM

RobertM Formula 3

Apr 17, 2005
    Weston, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert M
    #18 RobertM, Jul 16, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Although I have a 360 spider, I NEVER drive with the center wind diffuser installed. I do not like the way the images appear in the rear view mirror.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Stew

Stew Formula Junior

Apr 16, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Slightly off topic, but :

Has anyone ever found a source for the black screen material used for the wind diffuser or roll bar inserts ?

Regards,

Stew

20. Monteman

Monteman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 9, 2006
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Monte
    I've got a 98 355 Spider. The rear window is in good shape but has a couple of scuffs from being folded. I've slowly been going through the car to make it as perfect as possible and I'd like to look at getting this fixed over the winter while the car is tucked away. I assume the only way to fix this is to replace it.

Has anyone gone through the process of replacing the rear window? If so, who replaced it and how hard was it? I'm not sure where to even start. Upholstery shop? Did you remove the top yourself and take it to them? How expensive?

21. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    The city that rhymes with fun in Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    Take it to a professional shop specializing in tops they will have to remove the top to replace the plastic which in most cases is generic.

Do not attempt yourself

22. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Monte--You may get some better/specific answers in the 355 section--I am sure someone in there has dealt with this before

23. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    I had a detail shop polish mine up and it came out 95% as new, much better than I was expecting. But it's just a 348, you may need the more expensive replacement option :)

24. Miner_31

Miner_31 Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2008
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have seen people polish them up pretty well to make them look better. That is always an option. This aviation clear plastic polish is the best http://www.skygeek.com/novus-combo.html - I have seen it used before on convertible top windows and it really does a good job.

Sometimes the scratches are just too deep. In that case I suggest going to a convertible top repair place. You def dont want to take chances with the Uber-Expensive top.

Monte if I remember right you live in the Northern VA area. I used to work at FOW. A good upholstery shop in the area is Craftsman Upholstery.

25. tashier

tashier Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2008
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Sean
    As I posted in the 355 forum:

I might recommend using some scratch remover first. There's some good stuff I get from Tap Plastics called Novus 1,2, and 3. 3 different bottles for rough to fine scratches. It takes some serious rubbing but it will work. I use it on my acrylic saltwater fish tank and it looks good as new. May be worth a try.