"Sporadic" gear grinding | FerrariChat

"Sporadic" gear grinding

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Jet-X, Dec 1, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Well, when I drive my car (92 Mondial t), after the gearbox is warmed up, I get occasional 1st to 2nd gear grinding (occasionally 2nd to 3rd too).

It generally happens (about 40-60% of the time) when I'm hard accelerating and the RPMs are between 5k-7k. Slow accelerating (even into these RPM ranges) or very slow shifting (during hard acceleration) doesn't cause the gear to grind. It's not the typical grind, with all the mechanical 'grindage' noise. It's very quick, and half the time when it occurs, there is no grind noise, but I can "feel" the gear "catch" which I don't feel under normal (if such a thing) operating circumstances.

My mechanic says he noticed nothing, and yes, both our first fears our syncro wear.

On my older 3.2, I had syncros replaced, and another mechanic told me I probably just needed linkage adjusted, and that my syncros were fine.

But given that the 3.4 is cable operated, I'm wondering what could if anything be adjusted.

Frustrated....

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Based on my experience, it could also be that your gearbox lubricant is too "slippery" for the synchros, causing the crunching (happened to me in my 328)

Try putting installing Redline 75w-90 NS gearbox fluid in place of whatever is in there now, and report back what happens....cured it for me.

Dave

3. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    thanks for the info...now to figure out how to change the gearbox oil!