Spotted a lovely 928 S4 on BAT - just wish I had the $ and garage space! | FerrariChat

Spotted a lovely 928 S4 on BAT - just wish I had the $ and garage space!

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by David_S, Jan 31, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
  2. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

That looks superb. The autobox gearing really suits the car. And it's bulletproof if maintained.

3. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    You can roll the fenders on an S4 to mimic a GTS. Most do the side mirrors as well.

4. Teutonic

Teutonic Karting

Nov 8, 2003
    Irvine,CA
    Full Name:
    Rob Edwards
    This is a special run of fifty '91s for the Japanese market, they had the '92-95 GTS rear fender flares as a special (~$8500) option before they became standard. Those front flares are a Japanese market requirement, and kind of strange since they're just tacked onto the regular fender- no additional clearance underneath.

5. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    My old S4 (1987) had slightly rolled rear fenders, a GTS rear bumper, and body color painted rear wing. Was "pretty," but not THIS kind of pretty.

Hadn't ever seen the front flare treatment like that - nice to see Teutonic's input on that part.

Wonder what it will sell for, and wonder what the +/- dollar cost would be to go back to original GTS wheels?

6. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I should have spotted that it was from Japan. A ton of Porsches, etc. for sale here are former Japanese market models. Canada has a 15 year rule that basically all cars can be imported exempt from our version of DOT and EPA. When they are that old or older.

7. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

A Japanese market car with LHD?

8. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Cripes! Just clicked to see how it turned out...

High bid a tad over $40k, and reserve not met. Sure thought it looked cheap at the point I saw the price/bid at under $20k. :)

9. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I was watching that too...That is the nicest 928 I've ever seen.

David_S likes this.
  10. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I was high bidder on this car. Afterwards we came to an agreement, but upon finding out the car is not completely as described in the ad, I lowered my offer and the seller was not willing to drop the price. Shame, as I was really excited about the purchase.

11. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Sorry you didn't get the car, Chris. Perhaps even more sorry that it isn't quite as described. Sure looks like an incredible vehicle - never seen any 928 quite like it.

12. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

13. etmracing

etmracing Karting

Oct 17, 2010
    Thurmont MD
    Full Name:
    Marc Stephens
    I owned an automatic 928S for awhile. Loved the car and the auto does great on highways, but I grew bored with the auto's shortcomings on backroads. If I buy another 928 it will be a manual.

14. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

I assumed the same thing. First time I took the S4 and sat next to my track instructor he calmly said "What we want to do is take this thing out of "D". He then showed me the benefits of rowing the gears and left foot / trail braking. The results were good & surprising.

15. etmracing

etmracing Karting

Oct 17, 2010
    Thurmont MD
    Full Name:
    Marc Stephens
    That does help a little.

16. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Yes, if backroads are the most frequented stretches of tarmac then a 5 speed is the way to go. Meanwhile the S4 gearing is rather accomplished for all trip types so gets used more than my GT, even though I love the GT.