SS Back From Paint Shop | FerrariChat

SS Back From Paint Shop

Discussion in '348/355' started by vvassallo, Dec 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    My car had a recent small mishap that resulted in scratched paint on the rear bumper. The insurance company decided to paint most of the car as the cure. I just got it back. Result: New car. Wow. I'd post pictures of it but it looks the same from distance, which is pretty good. Now in real life and up close it's awesome. I'll get some pictures anyway.

steved033 likes this.
  2. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Pictures are always good!

3. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Why would they do this, Vince?

4. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Was your car single stage originally or not?

What did they repaint it with?

5. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    All 348 were single stage and most of the 355s. It was late in the 355 run before they started using clear coat paints from what I’ve seen.

6. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Brian, I believe it was 97 when 355's switched to PPG base / clear. However, I believe even 95's that were metallic colors are also base / clear

7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    My 95 is single stage, my 96 is two stage.

8. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Unless they were metalics.

9. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    and still no pictures?

sjd

10. krazykarguy

krazykarguy Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    The changeover from single to base/clear must have been a mid-year production change. My parents' car ('97 Rosso Corsa) is single stage.

11. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    This thread is useless without pics.

Come on haole let's seem some pics of it all polished up.

steved033 likes this.
  12. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    This is kind of a "don't ask don't tell" subject among LA County shop owners. It looks single stage to me.

13. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    OK. I'll bite.

While we wait for pictures....what is the difference between two stage and single stage...and how can I tell?

I know ZIP about paint and have learned many years ago that bodywork is best left to the artists in this world and not me.

In short, I can make 'em run....whether they are pretty or not is not up to me. :)

joeacc likes this.
  14. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    Distinguishing is easy. Take some very fine sandpaper to your paint and eff it up. If the powder is white, that's the clear coat you've removed from your two stage paint job (color, covered by clear coat). If it's colored, that's the single stage you're removing. Unless you've used coarse grit sandpaper and took too much off your two stage clear.

15. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I'd suggest some mild rubbing compound instead. Color = single stage. No color = base / clear

My 98 F1 has single stage on the front clip and base / clear everywhere else. Looking at it, you could never, ever tell. The orange peel is exact. I only knew when I did a paint correct. Car has never been hit. Best I could figure is it was a repair at the port which I'm told is very common.

I'm still on the fence to what I will use on my 95 GTB.

16. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    So two stage is simply a clear coat?

Sorry for the silly question in the first place.....

17. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Yes. But the base (color) has almost no gloss. The gloss comes from the clear. In waterborne systems, base typically doesn't have a hardener either.

18. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Honestly, you cannot tell by looking at the car where the original and new paint meet. You can tell right now where there is a very light amount of orange peel on the bumper, but that will lay down with time and my buffing. I am pretty sure this is single stage, but that is not my testimony on the stand, sirs. ;)

19. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Hey Vince, you can wet sand / buff the peel but time isn't going to change anything;)

20. schnazzy

schnazzy Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2008
    Seattle
    pics! or it didn't happen ;)

21. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    I meant over time and my buffing. I figured just sitting there nothing is going to happen, true. But over the year I will probably buff it out several times, so I am hoping to get it looking better. We'll see. First I'll take photos this week end and we can compare later. :D

22. BRADAN

BRADAN Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    What insurance company do you have? Always nice to here a positive story with a insurance claim. Chubb and Hagerty have been excellent to deal with around the shop.

23. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    If it looks the same then it still looks very nice.

24. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    I have Liberty Mutual. They do exotics on an exception basis. They were not easy to work with overall. The day of the loss, I called them to open a claim. Learned that you cannot claim damage repair on a homeowners policy for an auto even if it was stationary in the garage. Scheduled to get an estimate from Liberty's authorized shop in my area (Y&S Autobody). I knew they didn't do exotics, but I was going to call them anyway. The shop called me first to tell me don't bother calling them, they don't do exotics. I told them it was paint only, no body or repair work. They said, no exotics, no exceptions. Contacted Liberty to report this. Liberty told me take it to my shop, get an estimate and email it to them. I did that. They farted around for 2 weeks, then told me their independent appraiser would be coming by to check the damage. Two weeks later he came to the house, couldn't find me or the car and left. He was told how to access the car in my absence, but I guess he didn't get the message. I blew up at Liberty - this was in week 5 since the claim - and they sent their guy out the next day, sorry for my inconvenience. The appraiser was very cool. He verified everything and Liberty agreed to send the check out promptly. I got it about a week after the appraiser inspection. So, no, it wasn't that smooth of a transaction. Mostly positive, but could have been a smoother experience. Several years ago, I went through the very same experience with them when I had a front end ding that needed repair (the famous rattan lounge chair on the freeway mishap).

So Grant, it looks way better than before but you can only tell that from really close. It's still an amazing looking car from 10 feet. :p

25. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    If i recall you would not let any of us get closer than 10 feet. Ha ha