Started Pilot Training!! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Started Pilot Training!!

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by CRUSING, Mar 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrari_kid

ferrari_kid Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2003
    Congrats dude, I recently started flying too, 172s. I'm transfering to ERAU so I'll be able to minor in flight while getting my aerospace egr degree.

I'm looking at going through the military route then heading into some type of private or commercial field. It's a lot more competitive as a military pilot but I think the experience and service is worth it. I think the only thing I love more than Ferraris is flying, so hopefully one will get me the other.

2. airbarton

airbarton Formula 3

Nov 11, 2002
    Kennesaw, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Chuck Barton
    Donv and Gabriel, thank you for your kind comments. I have been in love with aviation since that first flight. If anyone here is in need of some free turbine time all you need to do is show up at RYY with your high altitude and high performance endorsments and I will be glad to let you ride along. I have always believed in putting something back into the kitty especially when something has been as good to me as aviation has. Keep in mind though that I am not just going to let you sit there and look out the window. If you are going to ride along you are going to learn something along the way! Good luck to you all!

3. CRUSING

CRUSING Karting

Oct 31, 2002
    Jupiter, FL
    AirBarton:

I'll see you in a few hundred hours hopefully in 6 months.

7.5 hours after today and enjoying it more and more. No more nervousness about falling out of the sky or slamming into another plane! Thank for all the comments. I will for sure get flight following when I cross-country.

4. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Gee guy, thanks! I wish this thread had started a few weeks ago, when I was up that way! Perhaps I'll take you up on that later this year. :)

5. Dr C

Dr C Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2002
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Ed
    That''s why I recommended getting several hours in a Cessna 150 -- when practicing stalls it feels a lot more like you are starting to fall out of the sky. Try it. It's really a gas.

6. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003

On behalf of all the Florida F Chaters I'd like to say.

Thanks for the warning.

:)

7. ART360

ART360 Guest

CRUSIN:

Has your instructor given you spin training yet? They generally take you up in a 150, and train you how to recover from spins. I liked it so much, I took a lesson in aerobatics. In my humble opinion, you should be competent in spin training, know how to roll the plane, etc. before you get your license. What about it Charles, do you agree?

Art

8. Dr C

Dr C Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2002
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Art:
    I've done spin training twice with Leroy Cook (he has over 12,000 hours and has probably trained a hundred pilots). The first time it seemed like everything was moving so quickly (partly due, I'm sure, to being scared). The second time it seemed like everything was almost in slow motion. Sure does teach you to keep that ball centered. And, gives you a lot better feel for the range in which you normally operate. You'll never forget what the phrase "kick the rudder" means.

9. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Art, you are not allowed to do spin training in a 150 anymore. Or a 152 for that matter, unless it's the aerobat version, and I 'm not sure you can use that either. They are no longer certified by the FAA for spins.

Spin *awareness* is all that is allowed. If I actually did or allowed spins in primary training I'd lose my cert.

You only need spin cert for CFI, and then only in one of a few AC that are spin certified, such as a Zlin, Extra, or a Pitts.

It will cost you about $2,500 - $3,000 extra here for such training.

10. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    "Art, you are not allowed to do spin training in a 150 anymore. Or a 152 for that matter, unless it's the aerobat version, and I 'm not sure you can use that either. They are no longer certified by the FAA for spins"

WOW! Twenty years ago, I learned to fly in gliders before I went to fixed-wing power. After learning all of the basics in the air, spin training was all I ever seemed to do! ME: "What are we going to learn today?...More spin training"? Instructor: "Yup"!

The big pump for flying sailplanes was the wave. 27K' was my best over Reno. I saved the Baro sheet. Minden is on the schedule for next Fall. I want to see 35K+!

11. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

After learning all of the basics in the air, spin training was all I ever seemed to do!

Yeah, things seem to change in cycles with the FAA regs.

It has something to do with the aging of the few trainers that ever were spin certified, and the numbers being racked up at the NTSB with them. :)

12. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Congratulations. Flying=Fun

Ralph
    Metar, Israel

13. cabrio_fan

cabrio_fan Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Michael Davidson
    Best of luck to you Cruising!!

I was such an aviation nut graduating from HS that I enlisted in the Air Force. I wanted a job handling aircraft so bad. Crew chief, munitions, whatever. I didn't go in with general job classification (long story) but needless to say, "The needs of the Air Force outweigh the needs of the individual." (I've heard that more than once in my life). And I ended up in computers. Not a bad deal since computers are now my career outside of the military.

The neat part about my computer job in the Air Force was that it was in C2 (Command and Control). I was basically a travelling system installer that went from AFB to AFB installing our system. I got to some very cool air force bases with some awesome aircraft. Whiteman AFB = B-2. Barksdale AFB = B-52. Mountain Home AFB = F-15. Misawa AB (Japan) = F-15 and F-16. Aviano AB (Italy) = F-15, F-16, F-18, A-10. Etc, etc.... Even though I didn't get to handle the aircraft directly, I got to work/hang with the pilots, and munitions, fuel, and maintenance personnel. Best 6 years of my life travelling the globe and hanging with aircraft people. I only wish I had been at my home base long enough to get my PPL through the Flying Club.

The BEST treat I had while I was in the USAF was a ride around the Great Pyraminds of Giza (Cairo) and the Sphinx in a Army Huey with the doors off at about 1500 ft AGL. Awesome!

Oh well, I had a blast for a number of years and now I'm getting ready to start my PPL this year. Look out everybody!!

[Thinking out loud....] Now.... if only I could do that full afterburner combat takeoff in a Cessna...... Hmmmmmm.

14. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

[Thinking out loud....] Now.... if only I could do that full afterburner combat takeoff in a Cessna...... Hmmmmmm.[/QUOTE]

You can!

Just go to an FBO that has a Cessna "Tweety Bird" trainer available!
    (Bring ear protection)