Starting the 360 - Concerned about oil pressure

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Mickster, Jun 11, 2018.

1. We have now implemented a page that contains launching points to Ferrari News, Ferrari Classifieds, Popular Threads, and Uploaded Media. The idea is to view this Home Page to get all your Ferrari content from one place. Please see the thread below for more info and bug reports. Thanks! https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/ferrarichat-home-page.577616/
  1. Mickster

Mickster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 24, 2015
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Mikael Andersson
    I have during the last two years been working on my 360 and now finally I’m getting ready to start her up.

A few months back I drained the old oil during a few days and even emptied the oil cooler as I want fresh oil in the engine. So engine was completly dry...
    Then filled up same amount as drained and thought all was fine.

Issue is: During wet comp test I noticed that no oil is squirting around the cams.

I’ve had the same issue on an old BMW I was working on and back then I was told to backfill the oil pump by unscrewing the oil filter housing and pouring oil straight into the pump. Worked just fine.

Will that work for the 360 engine as well? Dry sump / Wet sump....

2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Professional Ferrari Technician Consultant

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Howie Felterbum
    Remove fuel pump fuses, disable ignition coils (just unplug them) put a good battery charger on it and crank the engine over. Watch the oil pressure gauge. Once she starts moving off the peg, plug everything in and fire it up. Don' crank the engine continually for any longer then 15 seconds, or you could burn out the starter.

hessank and Mickster like this.
  3. Mickster

Mickster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 24, 2015
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Mikael Andersson
    Thank’s a lot for the tip! Will try that!

4. MerlinTech

MerlinTech Karting
    Sponsor

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    You can also use a remote start button and connect it to the exciter wire on the starter and the hot post on the starter. That way you can spin the motor with the ignition switch turned off and not have to disable anything.

5. wrxmike

wrxmike F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Michael
    A cheap & simple pre-oiler can be made using a converted garden pressure sprayer, the type with a manual pump, cost around 10 bucks. Remove the spray lance and fit a threaded plug to the pressure hose that matches your oil pressure sender switch. Connect it up, put some oil in the pressure sprayer and pressurise it. Typically you can pump it up to around 15 psi before the safety valve pops, that's enough to pre oil an engine. Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed Owner

Jun 8, 2009
    wrxmike,
    Great idea!

7. Tired of seeing this ad? Upgrade now
  8. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Professional Ferrari Technician Consultant

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Howie Felterbum
    Certainly could also do that..however if you wanted to watch the oil pressure gauge on the dash, they key would need to be on.