steering ECU | FerrariChat

steering ECU

Discussion in '612/599' started by swiss612, Mar 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    HI all,
    Yesterday was beautiful weather and we took 2 612s out
    We have made some back to back comparison
    Mine is a first gen mounted with the 20 inch challenge wheels
    My friend has a 2006 model with the HGTC package on 19 modular wheels

Many differences between the 2 cars, but one that I feel is really an improvement in the 2006 is the firmer steering feel, the 1st gen steering feels so light in comparison and I can only imagine that this was improved in later cars
    I am assuming this is due to the steering assistance being greater at low speeds on the 1st gen and therefore ECU related
    Do you think you can just plug and plug steering ECUs ? Would that have a role on assistance ? or is this hardware related ?

The HGTC is a fantastic car to drive, more throttle response, less body roll, quicker gear shift at low speed. The 1st gen is as capable but way smoother on the clutch release on low revs which in the end is pleasant, with a little bit more body roll.
    Even thought the experience is different with one being sportier, at the end you don't come out saying, I would prefer one in particular. The only thing I would take with me in the 1st gen is the steering feel of the 2006 HGTC

Makuono likes this.
  2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Michel- Affirmative, the pre-Motronic 7.3.2 (late 07 and later for 7.3.2) 612s can be fitted with the HGTS/HGTC steering ECU, which is almost a glorified relay. You will have to get the part number from your local Ferrari dealer off of MODIS. Easy to do with the 456M/550/575M, where the part number for the FHP steering ECU is well known. A little tougher for the 612s, where late part numbers are harder to come by.

That hydraulic steering ECU schedules how much boost the steering uses and definitely stiffens up steering feel a bit, especially at lower speeds.

3. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    Thanks for confirming Taz
    I just ordered part 226955, found it for 100 euros on ebay, I am not sure its the right one but for the price it s not a big deal
    I figured that part 188788 is the most available on ebay and where referenced it was equipped on first gen cars
    226955 is harder to find
    I will keep Fchat informed about eventual improvements once install the part

Makuono likes this.
  4. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    I received my 226955 ECU
    I first thought I had to remove the seat to make the change but it is much easier than this, the ECU is under the floor where you rest you feet
    There are 4 screws to take out and you can then lift the aluminum floor panel
    I can confirm that the ECU in my car was the 188788
    I plugged in the new one and did a test drive, I think it firms up a little the steering around 50KMH but would honnestly need to do a back to back comparison to be sure

F3RN4ND0 and Makuono like this.
  5. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    I'd be interested to know. Based on my research, the 226955 is the updated part number for all the 612's. It notes using the older 188788 "until depleted". This usually means that absolutely no functional change was made to the controller, likely just internal components. That being said, I can't state that with certainty but am pretty sure...

I'd be interested in your (objective) A-B-A testing to see if there is a real difference. Again, I doubt there is. Likely tires, wheels, inflation pressure, speed.

Try the ABA testing and report back please.

Thanks,

6. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    I have looked into that 262285 substitute 188788 ( found on Scuderiaparts)
    However 226955 seems a different one, would need to check post 2016 cars what module do they have, very easy to check if someone wants to do this
    The 262285 module is nowhere to be found on ebay, I assume therefore it is a reproduced part
    Please note that the 188788 equipped the 458 and the 599 too

Anyway, I will try to find the time for some back to back comparison, it is a matter of 5 minutes to change the ECU

7. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Unfortunately, I do not know the part number for the HGTS/HGTC steering ECU. Seems like someone on here upgraded his 612 to the HGTS/HGTC specs, and it was surprisingly affordable, but I did not write down the part numbers if he posted them.

8. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    Yesterday we took a look a the steering ECU of my Friend's 2006 HGTC car, same as my original one, 188788, so the ECU is not what makes difference
    The HGTC has 19 inch modular wheels, CCM, also a carbon fiber steering wheel which could help to the overall better steering feeling. tires were pumped up to the same pressure as mine. Please note that I have 20 inch challenge on my gen1 with no CCM.
    Could it be that the HGTC has different Camber which makes the steering feel heavier ?
    Obviously the gen 1 is not meant to ride on 20 inch challenge. I am wondering how it would feel with the original wheels

9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Well, that certainly shoots down that theory. The stiffer springs and rear anti-roll bar could have something to do with the feel of the steering.

10. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    Indeed,
    I doubt the rear anti roll would have such an impact at very low speed, same for suspensions
    Would you know if the HGTC have a different camber and toe in setting ?
    I will also try to get the Steering fluid flushed. I don't see any in the service history, viscosity may have dropped

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Unfortunately, I only have the settings for the base suspension. Wear on the ball joints could be an issue, too. Known issue on the 360, F430, and 612.

12. swiss612

swiss612 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Zurich
    Full Name:
    Michel
    I did upgrade all the ball joints for Hill Engineering and got Ferrari to do a wheel alignment after this