348 - Steering Rack Bushes | Page 2 | FerrariChat

348 Steering Rack Bushes

Discussion in '348/355' started by m.stojanovic, Nov 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Got in last night, got them out. The recess for the washer is 1.3mm I do not think that is needed as one can rtv a washer to the bushing to hold it there during install.

Attached Files:

2. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    Excellent, thanks for the info. If the dimensions of the 328 bushes are similar, I will probably buy those. Meanwhile, I'll be going around spare parts shops with your picture (and a vernier caliper) and see what I can find.

3. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    I found the Toyota bushes in a local shop. According to the info (with picture, no dimensions shown) I found on the web, this shape of bushes are for the Sway Bar Links of 71-77 Toyota Celica & Carina and 72-86 Jeep. The box I saw in the shop stated "absorber bush" (like they are for shock absorbers) and I was told that these are "for Toyotas".

Anyhow, the dimensions of the Toyota bushes I found are rather close except that the centre hole dia. is 16 mm as compared to the Ferrari's 11.5. This can, however, easily be solved with thicker bushes. As for the slightly bigger outer diameters, I will probably not trim the new bushes but just fabricate the inner steel bush to, say 15 mm which will give the rubber a bit of space to compress when installed. The Toyota bushes were not really cheap - 25 c a piece, i.e. $2 for a set of 8.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Sounds reasonable. Keep us posted. I think the 348 sway bar end link bushes may work. Pop one of yours out takes 2 min before you try the toyotas.
    "absorber bush" is a generic term for vibration damper, technically all rubber bushings are "absorber bushs" as they absorb vibrations.
    BTW just got a brand new Toyota PWM for the smaller fan, saw your posts on the burned fuse box at the fan relay, so I figured I may as well add it to both. I bet the lights will no longer dim when they come on after this.

If you cant get anything to work PM my I would consider parting with my spare bushes for you.

5. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    I just remembered that I have a complete spare set of new 348 suspension bushes in a box. I found the front & rear ARB link bushes and took the measurements:

Front ARB Link Bushes, p/n 100984 - these are identical to the Toyota bushes I bought (100984 Set of 8 = $130, Toyota at my local shop Set of 8 = $2)

Rear ARB Link Bushes, p/n 107335 - these have practically the same dimensions as the 348 Steering Rack mounting bushes except for the different shape at the top (not an issue). The 107335 bushes that I have (from Eurospares) are light gray, made of rather tough rubber/elastomer (not poly). Perhaps too rigid for the steering mounts but can be used without mods. The dimension of 107335 bush are (picture used is of another similar bush):

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

I found out that these bushes are for the Front Strut Bar of Toyotas: Corolla 1980 - 1985, Mini Van 1982 - 1990 and some other models. Had a look at them in my local shop - they are huge, about twice as big as the 348 rack mounting bushes.

Qavion likes this.