Stereo will not turn on, alarm does not chirp | FerrariChat

Stereo will not turn on, alarm does not chirp

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by spazz27, Sep 11, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spazz27

spazz27 Karting

Apr 21, 2011
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Hello all,

I have a couple issues on an otherwise amazing car (new clutch, tires, belt service), that I don’t know if are related or not…

As everyone knows, the 550 has the fuel pump security system where you need to press the alarm fob to enable it otherwise the car won’t start… yesterday I went for a drive, saw the dash light flashing as usual/normal, pressed the fob button and like always, it stopped flashing and the car started etc.

All normal, except I noticed the car didn’t make its usual chirp-chirp sound when that happens.

After driving for a bit I wanted to turn on the stereo and realized it was dead. It won’t turn on (it’s after market).

I’m guessing these 2 things must be related but like I say, besides that the car starts and drives like normal.

Then I stopped driving, turned the car off, and it sat for an hour before I drove off again. This time everything was the same as described but now, the A/C will not cool.

Anyone have any thoughts on what’s happening here?

Not sure if the A/C is related to the first problem but maybe it is?

Thank you all in advance!

Anthony

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I can't think of anything in common with all three systems (siren, radio and AC) other than the car's battery. However, since the car starts and runs normally, it's unlikely that there is a battery issue.

Do you know how old the battery is in the siren?

Check fuse #22 in the passenger footwell. I believe this provides battery power to the A/C system and to the radio.

3. arkferrari

arkferrari Karting
    BANNED

Feb 9, 2004
    Hot Springs, AR
    Full Name:
    B.F. Mitchell

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    There's an echo in here.... :D

arkferrari likes this.
  5. arkferrari

arkferrari Karting
    BANNED

Feb 9, 2004
    Hot Springs, AR
    Full Name:
    B.F. Mitchell
    How difficult/expensive is it to replace the battery in a 21 year-old siren (1999 355F1)? There has not been any audible "clicks" for some time but the dash lights "blink" and the car starts then. Recently it takes multiple times of depressing the FOB button before the dash lights "blink" and am able to start car.

6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #6 Qavion, Sep 17, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
    On my 1998 355, I cut the case in half with a box/Stanley knife. It took ages, but it was a clean cut (using aluminium tape to protect the case) and I made sure to not go too deep. The batteries were not too expensive. Then I figured I would probably make an unprofessional mess of the reglueing, so I bought a new one :p

https://au.rs-online.com/web/p/button-rechargeable-batteries/0422393/

Others have bought aftermarket GM/Corvette sirens, but some need reprogramming (by Gobble).

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/f355-alarm-siren-battery.441673/

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/new-sirens-for-355-360-456-550-575.625850/#post-147359409