Sticky 328 throttle | FerrariChat

Sticky 328 throttle

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by jlmainusa, Jun 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jlmainusa

jlmainusa Rookie

Feb 4, 2004
    Mendham, NJ USA
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Condie
    I know I'm not the first here but..... my beloved 1988 (20k) 328 throttle is starting to stick. I've cleaning the throttle plate and linkages at both ends and dripped 3-in-1 down the cable. No luck. It seems to get easier as the engine warms. I can't decide if the cable is fraying or whether it needs a better clean. Is there any difference to how these two feel when pressing the throttle? Any ideas? Should I give in and have it replaced?

2. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    The throttle on my 308QV became sticky last week. The cure was nothing but spraying WD-40 onto the all of the throttle linkages and into the cable housing as best as possible. The throttle should be completely free, smooth and easy.

3. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    Had the same problem with mine ...

a) Made sure the little ball thing on the end of the linkage is lubricated. Grease can dry due to engine heat.

b) Unhooked the cable at the 'little ball end' and fabricated a way of forcing silicone/oil lubricant down the full length of the cable. It was untidy but I managed to use my compressor air to force the lubricant in. You have to have some imagination to use the air pressure ... I had some type of plastic bag sealed around the cable head ... put the lubricant in it ... stuck the air compressor feed in the bag and .... using VERY VERY LITTLE pressure pushed the oil slowly into the cable sheath , but it worked a treat. It lubricated the full length of the cable.

4. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    And dont forget the obvious that the floor mat may be interfering.

5. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Is it hard to push down, or is it not coming back up...holding high rpm??

I've got one in this week which was hard to push down. The swivel on the butterfly housing was tight due to lack of lubrication. It is corroded now.

Simple acts of regular service would have prevented this, but the previous owner didn't like the blob of grease on his throttle swivel so he washed it away......

could have killed him.

6. JOEL D.

JOEL D. Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Joel DeLuca
    Same thing happened to me, lube will only cure it temporarily. Have it replaced, it should be under $500.00 with parts and labor and then maintain it properly and it will last for years.

There is a throttle cable on e-bay for around $75.00. Search E-bay motors under "ferrari 328".

Good Luck

7. Cenzzo

Cenzzo Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    I had a similar occasional throttle sticking problem. Idle wouldn't come down. It was intermittent. Tried lubing everything, nothing seemed to fix it. Sometimes it would do it, sometimes it wouldn't. Then I was at a track day and came in from a run group and it was doing it, and I mentioned it to some guys there, and they said "check your floor mats" - I slid the carpet back away from the gas pedal, and Voila! That's all it was . . .

8. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Get a 'cable luber' & squirt can of cable lube.

Most motorcycle dealers carry them. Picked one up on eBAY last year for $15 with a can of lube.

Here's an example:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2482723960&category=35580&sspagename=WDVW

The luber is a simple device. clamps onto the end of the cable & seals it. The lube can's red tube fits into a hole in the cable luber. When you squirt the can, the lubricant is forced thru the cable by the aerosol pressure. Squirt until a bit of lube drops out the far end of the cable. Repeat once a year.

9. Terry

Terry Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Cheshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Terry
    Not sure if a 328 throttle pedal is the same as a Mondial t but:
    The pedal has a cross shaft with a lever at one end which connects to the throttle cable which runs down the centre of the car to the engine. This cross shaft is bolted at both ends to the floor/wheelwell and supported by two small bearings. My bearings were a little stiff creating enough friction to cause a sticky throttle pedal. Two new bearings and all is now well.

10. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Do a search of the archives from the old board. I was having this problem about a year ago, at the same time Rob was having the same issue. Mine sort of magically 'cured' itself after I cleaned all the crud out from around the gas pedal and sprayed in some white lithium grease. I think maybe Rob had to replace his cable?

11. jlmainusa

jlmainusa Rookie

Feb 4, 2004
    Mendham, NJ USA
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Condie
    Thanks for the ideas. I decided to have the cable replaced while I was having Goodyear F1s fitted. Problem cured. There's nothing like great tires and a smooth throttle to encourage plenty of right foot :)

Now, if only the AC was as better.....