Stone scrape on top of fender | FerrariChat

Stone scrape on top of fender

Discussion in 'Arizona & New Mexico' started by Testarossa13, Feb 1, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Testarossa13

Testarossa13 Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2007
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Tony Jr.
    #1 Testarossa13, Feb 1, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
    A stone scraped over my fender and scratched the paint.When I run my finger nail over it I can feel the scratch so it must be below the clear coat.Who do you recommend for evaluation of repair.Maybe it can be buffed out or slightly wet sanded and polished.The scratch is about an inch long on my F430.Any referrals are appreciated...I'm located in the phoenix area...Thanks

2. Todd Helme

Todd Helme Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2007
    Oviedo Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd Helme
    Sorry about the damage to your Ferrari.

It is likely the scratch didn't penetrate the clear coat, but if you can feel it, then it really wouldn't be worth it to remove by way of buffing.

Why? Most of the UV protection in the paint is actually in the top half of the clear, with the majority being in the first 1/3. If you can feel the scratch, while it may not have penetrated the clear, it likely would require excessive removal of clear coat in order to completely repair it.

I would first have a professional detailer in your area take a look at it. While it may not (and probably shouldn't be) fully removed, there is a chance that a compentent detailer can significantly reduce the appearance of the scratch by rounding it out. See if you he can bring it to a level you are happy with with out too much removal.

The second opition, if the scratch is deep, is to fill the scratch with paint, then have it lightly wet sanded level and polished. While it will not be 100% perfect, it can be made to be nearly invisible at 3-5, perhaps even better.

Past this, you are likely looking at that spot repainted. This can very difficult to do and likely you will have some level of visible blend line. So of the more reputable shops may want to carry the blend past the fender and feather it in on the door to avoid any chance of visible paint differences. I am not a painter, but I rarely see work that is good enough that I don't see it.

If it was me I would find a very good detailer who is capable of safely rounding out the scratch or filling it and making it look good enough. This will save the inherent head-aches that bringing the car to a body shop can cause.

3. Testarossa13

Testarossa13 Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2007
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Tony Jr.
    Thanks Todd for the options..Hopefully someone locally can refer me to a top detailer.....

4. Pit_Stop

Pit_Stop Arizona

Dec 31, 2008
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    Sent you a PM