Stradale Track Report/Watkins Glen | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Stradale Track Report/Watkins Glen

Discussion in '360/430' started by WCH, Jun 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
  2. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    The Scuderia Stradales look fantastic, the pics made me want to go for a drive.

Sounds like mid 30s hot is the way to go. Hope they make a slick for us.

3. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    you bet - everywhere I drive I see a CS

4. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Given the title of this thread has "Watkins Glen" in it, I started to make a new thread to parallel it. But I think this info just belongs here... despite the title...

Everything the same as above but Motorsport Ranch, running backwards (CW), June 17th, 95'F, unshaved stock tires. I did one cooldown lap and then took some real quick measurements before doing some more cooldown. My pyrometer is infrared. Two sessions. Caveat: this was my first time to run it backwards, so I was under-utilizing the tires sometimes and over-utilizing them others.

Started with tires warm from the highway drive to the track... dropped all the pressures to 27psi front and 27.5 psi rear... hoping to hit no more than 34psi hot. After the first session, the pressures were 34LF, 33.5 RF, 33LR, 32.5RR... just about what I was targetting... and about what you'd expect on a CW course. The tire temps were within 2'F from inside edge to middle, but dropped 10'F on outside edge. The tread wear was to the edge, but not over it. A couple of small chunks removed from the tread.

Based on that, I dropped every tire by 1psi.

Second session, which I was running a little more consistent and a lot faster, led to similar pressures and the following temps:

LF: O=191 M=189 I=188 P=34; RF: I=169 M=167 O=159 P=33.5
    LR: O=170 M=168 I=168 P=32.5; RR: I=162? M=159? O=155? P=32

I wasn't writing these down, so I somewhat forgot the details of the least used wheel (RR). But given the CW course and some excessive pushing I was doing in one long corner and one shorter but fast corner, those temps look real good to me. Minor chunking on the LF; no chunking of the other tires; and the treadwear came just over the edge, not quite to the row of fill bumps on the edge of the tread. The "cold" pressures after I got home were:

LF=24.3; RF=24.8; LR=25; RR=25

I think hot (after one cooldown lap) pressures of 33-34psi are about right... at least with unshaven tires on a hot day on asphalt. The minor chunking can be blamed on some excessive pushing (my fault... I abused the LF tire a bit).

FWIW.

5. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Brian, thanks for posting, great to have some more data.

6. raygr

raygr Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I added a few more pics to Thomas' thread: http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21543.

My tires looked great at the end of the day, and I was pushing it pretty good toward the end. I was playing around with drifting it on T8! Very fun. I have video of 2 laps from inside the car, if anybody can host it.

-Ray