Streamline Moderne home plans? | FerrariChat

Streamline Moderne home plans?

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by Horsefly, Apr 13, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    This entire sub-forum has brought some very interesting replies and photos of what is referred to as art deco and streamline moderne home designs. Art deco is more relative to the 1930s and streamline moderne is more akin to what I refer to as "gas station" architecture because there seem to have been many gas stations that were built with the moderne style back in the 1940s. Several years ago, before the internet, I looked for any books that would show some moderne home designs that were actually complete to the extent that a contractor could actually use them to build the house. Most of these moderne style homes were specially designed, but I remember seeing some references to the 1939 Worlds Fair that showed some mass produced homes in the moderne style that could be built by a typical contractor.

Are there any plans available for any of these moderne home designs that could be purchased cheaply in the manner that you can buy plans for a ranch house, suburban home, or log cabin?
    There were many of these style homes built in the 30s and 40s, but where can you find the USEABLE floor plans today?

2. GTSguy

GTSguy Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    HORSEFLY- the simple answer is yes; the complx answer is no. OK, that may sound improbable. What I mean is that design plans can be found, with work at the appropriate archive. But these 'plans' won't be usable without engineering, etc. Current codes will need to be applied.....

Jon

3. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I was going to reply that there isn't much current demand for Streamline Moderne residential plans that I know of...I'd say anything along these lines today either would be a one-off or just plain weird luck to find in a magazine-rack planbook.

Jon, when you say "archive", do you mean searching out and finding old planbooks or Historic American Buildings Survey plans?

Horsefly: Lots of info online if you google Streamline Moderne; if you did a search on abebooks.com an old plan book might turn up for sale.

4. GTSguy

GTSguy Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Scott, by 'archives' I meant that many period publications have floor plans and photos that could be used to create a new house. Of course, one might also find actual plans.

Horsefly, please bear in mind that, in addition to code issues, there are copyright questions. My suggestion, if you want archtecture, there's only one thing to do - hire an architect!

Jon :)

5. GTSguy

GTSguy Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jon
  6. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    I found this site that has some old plans: http://www.decopix.com/New%20Site/Pages/Directory%20Pages/House_plans_dir.html
    I doubt that there would be any copyright infringement from ancient 1930s vintage plans. Of course it would depend upon the area as to whether old plans would meet current codes. Most areas have city building codes, and some have county codes. Arkansas has no county codes. You can build nearly anything that you want in unincorporated areas. Old plans would probably be a good starting place for a modern updating.

7. GTSguy

GTSguy Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Horsefly, Old plans are a great place to start! BTW: somebody's pulling a fast one with the plans you reference. They come from a widely published book (title forgotten) of the period. There are many period magazine articles and books that have such material. You may be able to find a whole book for $30. Also, check out a decent architecture school library.... these books are not that rare. Do some Google, there's lots of stuff out there.

Dover publications has republished a lot of stuff such as:

100 Small Houses of the Thirties by Brown-Blodgett Company
    Exterior photographs and floor plans for 100 charming structures. Illustrations of models accompanied by descriptions of interiors, color schemes, closet space, and other amenities. 200 illustrations.
    Our Price $9.95

Jon

8. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    I checked out the Amazon.com listing for that book, and it doesn't specifically show or mention any streamline moderne designs. The house on the cover photo just looks like any ho-hum small house of the time.

I do have THIS book that I bought years ago, Classic Modern Homes of the Thirties, http://store.doverpublications.com/0486259277.html and while it has many photos, it doesn't really have any floor plans like the the first link that I gave: http://www.decopix.com/New%20Site/Pages/Directory%20Pages/House_plans_dir.html

9. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Horsefly...the second link you posted showed some nice International Style and Moderne stuff...the 1930's and 40's plan-brochure homes are primitive and small by 21st century standards , but definitely have some good stylistic reference points for a skilled architect to use in the design process for an up-to-date home.

I get the strong feeling that you want something very particular, and are trying to find useable/buildable plans for a demanding architectural aesthetic on the cheap. I can also tell you that's not going to work...fine-home taste is like Ferrari taste...open up the check book, buddy.

This isn't an advertisement for the architectural profession or the construction business...no vested interest in either on my end. I just hate to see people make big mistakes on something that's both expensive and on which they have out-of-the-ordinary result expectations. An attempt to save maybe five or ten percent by skimping on or foregoing professional design services usually backfires, unless you want something big and approximate and don't care about the fine points.

Trying to pass on some sound advice and and hard-earned wisdom, that's all...maybe it's not appropriate in your case. Speaking the truth to my own clients lost me a few, but the ones that stayed are friends for life.

10. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    I was mainly trying to find plans for something like the original designs; smaller and simple to build, not some grand deco estate. Something small that could be built as a weekend retreat on remote land where there are no codes to worry about.

11. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thanks for correcting me. I apologize for any offense...but I'd still get a good architect to help you get it right.

12. boffin218

boffin218 Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #12 boffin218, Apr 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This won't be quite what you're looking for, but a recent visit to New York's Museum of Modern Art brought the design to mind, and it fits rather nicely into the 'streamline moderne' concept: the Airstream trailer.

So, just for fun:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login