Stuck rims | FerrariChat

Stuck rims

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by More-Power-Man, Feb 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. More-Power-Man

Nov 13, 2017
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Full Name:
    Kelly Crawford
    I am trying to remove the rear rims on my 2008 599 GTB and the front slid off very easily but the rear seem to be stuck on at the hub. I have used a piece of wood and a mallet to hit the inside of the rim while turning the wheel and it's not budging. I don't see any safe way to use a pry bar either. Any suggestions?

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Put the lug nuts / bolts back on loosely, maybe 1 or 2 turns out. Drive the car on the driveway back and forth, braking, the wheel will come loose. Jack it back up and remove it completely.

3. krazykarguy

krazykarguy Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I used to deal with this all the time while working on Saabs in the salty north east.

The best thing I was taught was to leave one lug bolt in the hub, turned out about 4 turns (enough to support a loose wheel from falling). Afterwards, place both your hands behind you on the fender and kick backwards into the tire, like a mule/donkey. One or two kicks and it will be off.

4. More-Power-Man

Nov 13, 2017
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Full Name:
    Kelly Crawford
    Thanks for your suggestions guys, but I ended up having to use a bigger piece of wood and a bigger hammer. Anti-Seize will be giong on the hub when I put them back on.

5. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    +1

Good idea

Should others have a problem because their previous owners did not use anti-seize, you can carefully spray PB Blaster between the hub and the wheel, but have a cloth handy so the fluid does not drip onto your brake rotors or pads