Stuff you'd like to know.. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Stuff you'd like to know..

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by alexm, Mar 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CavalloRosso

CavalloRosso Formula 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA/Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    SVO
    Hahaha! That's pretty much how I think about it.

2. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    The cost of de-icing just seems completely insane. Of course if it's between de-icing or turning a ice laden aircraft into a fireball at the end of the runway I guess it's a good deal. I think my record is three de-ice sessions before taking off.

3. airborne

airborne Karting

Feb 19, 2013
    Northern VA
    The double boom off of the Space Shuttle was due to the high angle of attack on re-entry. One shock off of the nose and one off of the wing/body. By the time the waves got to the ground, there was a measurable distance between them. Heard them in SoCal, which usually meant weather forced a west coast landing and an expensive piggyback ride to Florida.

4. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Here's another story that I saw in Wiki, about SS Booms:

"On 31 May 1968, a dedication ceremony took place at the United States Air Force Academy to honor graduates who had served in Vietnam. A (Republic) F-105, which had been assembled using parts from ten different F-105s that had seen service in Vietnam,...

To conclude the ceremony, a flight of four F-105s ... were to fly over in formation at 1,000 feet above the ground and then fly over singly at 250 feet. The formation portion happened as planned. But the flight leader, Lt Col James "Black Matt" Matthews, came back for the single-file pass and exceeded the speed of sound at less than 100 feet. The ensuing sonic boom broke hundreds of windows and fifteen people sustained cuts..."

If you're familiar with the AFA, all the buildings are glass and aluminum frames.

5. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Mythbusters had an episode (Season 7, Episode 10)

Here you can watch Adam pass out while riding with the Blues.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znlBMHFdCEY[/ame]

6. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Can you feel any ice on the wing with your hand? Is it snowing or freezing rain and snow or ice are accumulating on the airframe?

If the answer to EITHER question is "yes" then deice. If it's "no" then don't.

In the case of freezing rain, if ice is accumulating on the ramp or anywhere that you can see, I'd deice.

And honestly, in the case of freezing rain, I'd give some hard thought to whether I wanted to go at all.

7. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    If you can feel it, De ice or dont go. I had a $10k bill once from Signature from Superbowl in Detroit. Didnt care, signed it and came home. Turns out they flew in support personnel from KPBI, hahahah. Poor guy just tried to drill holes in the ice, emptied the entire truck.

They cut the bill down to $2k.

8. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
  9. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

#34 Tcar, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    The edges of the F104 wings are so thin that when on the ground, they have covers placed over them so ground crew don't hurt (cut) themselves bumping into sharp edges.

They glide as if there are no wings at all (brick).

Several years ago, I remember reading about the Israeli AF F-15 that flew and landed with only one wing after a collision.

I immediately thought of the F-104... no wings. :)

10. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I saw the Canadians fly their CF-104's at the Abottsford show for several years and they were undoubtedly the wildest jets ever. I mentioned this before about having the thrust at 80% on approach to produce enough bleed air for the flaps. I believe that the wings were made of bolted planks of aluminum plates and they were about 7 feet from the fuselage to the tip. Also if you had a flameout an approach speed of 245mph had to be maintained or you punched out if it was lower. Incredible airplane to watch when the Canadians did touch and goes with them and then make passes at something just below M 1.

11. CavalloRosso

CavalloRosso Formula 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA/Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    SVO
    2 scenarios (answer separately please):

1. You're at FL 390 and ATC says "descend and maintain 17000". How do you set your descent rate?

2. You're at FL 390 and ATC says "descend at PD to 17000". For this one assume you have a sweet tailwind up high and sipping Jet A. How do you set your descent rate?

12. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    #37 alexm, May 8, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    At an event over the weekend I noticed a difference in aileron philosophy .. the triplane only had 1 set for 3 wings while it's biplane contemporary and a Pitts 1 set per wing..

I would have thought you'd have more performance and authority with more aileron area, (and more effort to move) hence the set per wing.. so why would the triplane only have 1 set in comparison?

..and while we're at it what factors would be used to decide which wing to place the one set on?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #38 tazandjan, May 8, 2017
    The Fokker Dr.I Triplane (and F.I prototypes) only had one set of ailerons because that is all she really needed. The extra area of the aerodynamic balances all the way out on the wing tips helped give fairly good roll response and the ailerons were actually downsized on later Dr.Is. Roll response was not nearly as good as pitch and yaw response, though, and rolling with the rudder was possible, as were flat yaw turns with no bank. The Sopwith Triplane, on the other hand, had ailerons on all three wings, so their designers saw it differently. They had a vertical stabilizer, too, instead of the all-moving rudder on the F.I/Dr.I. Note, too, that the Dr.I was the first cantilver fighter introduced in WW-I, and only one set of ailerons simplified rigging, especially on an aircraft that was frequently rail transported with the wings removed.

Dr.I 198/17 just after delivery to Jasta 14 for Ltn Werner in January 1918.

14. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The first Fokker triplane actually had no interplane struts between the wings, but they were added because the pilots were uneasy. But like the later D.VII, no wires between the wings.

15. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #40 tazandjan, May 9, 2017
    Affirmative, the Fokker V.4, WN 1661 (often mistakenly called the V.3) did not have interplane struts and was shipped to the Austro-Hungarian air force as built with no interplane struts. The next Triplane prototype, V.5 WN 1697, eventually given the designator F.I 101/17, had the large aileron balances fitted, larger wings, and the upper wing twisted enough to need the interplane struts.

16. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

I've noticed that the Beech Staggerwing (biplane) originally had ailerons and flaps on the lower wing only.

But later versions moved the ailerons to the upper wing (almost the whole wing) and had flaps only on the lower wing.

17. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Interesting questions... any answers?