suddenly people become an expert in style and beauty when a new model comes out???!! | FerrariChat

suddenly people become an expert in style and beauty when a new model comes out???!!

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by johns930, Mar 1, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
    99.9% of those people cant afford them anyway.

so what to do??
    start hating or express opinions.

Finding excuse on something we cant buy is easy, coming up with that money is HARD. So what u do? You do exactly whats happening now.

i hate the aventador. because i cant afford it.

2. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    I don't care what public opinion is when I'm spending my money. I like what I like and I buy it if I like it. I actually like to hear all the opinions of people weather or not they can afford a car. They are the ones who write history.

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Design is like art. Everyone has their own ideas. Sometimes we agree a lot and other times we don't.

I think (and most critics do) that Citizen Kane is one of the best movies ever made. I know many people who think Star Wars is and Citizen Kane is boring.

Who is correct? The answer is we all are.

4. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Actually the designers write the aesthetic history.

Most people don't have the talent or the training to create new designs but just think they know better.

We are all entitled to our opinions though. Opinions change over time And the majority is not always correct.

5. e60

e60 Rookie

Nov 3, 2004
    i believe peoples opinion will change about this car as it has for ever other fcar that has come out. how many people hated the enzo when it first introduced and now people love it. how many people were up in the air about the 458 when it came out and now people are all open arms about the design. i believe the same thing will happen to the f12 once people get to see it in the flesh.

6. Photog

Photog Formula 3

Sep 24, 2009
    Kansas City, Mo
    Full Name:
    Matt
    #6 Photog, Mar 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California

This is a really myopic view. I for one like the F12, but to stipulate that someone would criticize the looks simply because they can't afford it, is wrong. I can not afford an F12, but I guarantee you I know great deal more about it than most people and MANY of the people that can afford it. Economic advantages do not assure knowledge. I have helped many Fchat users with finding the right car and technical information. I have also helped people with large Ferrari collection collect data and history on their cars. I don't mean for this to sound like an attack, its not, but you can not stipulate that criticism comes only from those that can not afford an object.

8. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    New Ferrari models always get a bunch of criticism when they first come out, and by the end of the run they are regarded as a high point of design. Never seems to change.

9. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
  10. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I think one of the great things about Ferrari is that they constantly offer new designs technology and innovation.

Porsche is the polar opposite. An all new 911 can't stray too far from the old 911.

Which car museum would you rather visit- Ferrari or Porsche?

11. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    +1. Witness the world wide excitement about the new 12 cylinder. Of course, opinions are all over the place, and everyone has their own take. If the day ever comes that no one cares about a new Ferrari, then we will be in trouble.

12. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Formula 3

Jun 28, 2004
    Behind a keyboard or more correct a touchscreen these days anyone can be everyone

13. 458beast

458beast Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2011
    rainy
    Full Name:
    Will
    Your an idiot, just because people can't afford something doesn't mean they hate it.

You are either one of the following three people.

1. Very lonely, mid-life crisis
    2. Is still a virgin, or has not had sex for a very long time, or has never encountered mating with an attractive partner.
    3. You grew up, idolising yourself, thinking everything will come to you, but in reality you where nowhere near what you ever thought you would be.

14. 16m

16m Rookie

Dec 26, 2008
    Mexico DF
    Full Name:
    16m
    +1000
    P.D. @johns930: you got trashed in the other forum,, just give it a rest....

15. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    But there is still good design and bad design, regardless of what the general population likes or dislikes. The design community tends to identify these good designs and over time they become classics and well regarded by the general population. Car buyers are fickle and tend to like whatever is newest and best, and of course everyone thinks they have good taste.

16. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
    I'm bored today.
    Like others for once, and I become a target ?

17. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #17 TheMayor, Mar 2, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012

There is good design and there is bad design. There is also avant garde design that is so new, it's difficult for people to understand at first.

The first time you drank a beer, did you like the taste? Did that change over time? Its no different with style.

Sure, not every style or design will be classic. But that doesn't mean you have to play it safe every time you design something. It's a designer's RESPONSIBILITY to push the envelope of taste, as it is with any artist. If they don't we end up with an endless boring stream of the "sameness" forever (aka the 911 and it's weird half brother, the Panamera). Imagine just how great some designer could have done with the Panamera if some idiot in the Porsche Marketing Department didn't tell him to make it look like a big 911.

Take a look at the 275 GTB and the Daytona. At the time the Daytona was introduced, it was not considered good looking when compared to the look of the past. Now what do people think? BOTH are beautiful. BOTH are classics. And BOTH are about as far apart styling wise as you can get.

18. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    Well, I hate beer. But I think your comments are more about the general public. The Daytona may have been unloved by the press but was considered a design masterpiece within the industry. I am all for the future (hate retro) and pushing the envelope, but I am very much against designs that have some big design element stuck on them to make them look different. The F12 is not pushing any envelope, it is the classic coupe proportion, with an awkward confused growth. Without it, people would have said the car was too boring but with it, it is a mess. Aston Martin has shown again and again that the classic coupe proportion can be made into an exciting, beautiful car without having to come up with a gimmick. They also made the 0ne-77 to prove they can make the same mistakes as everyone else. Obviously, Aston Martin needs to move on, and that may prove difficult, we shall see.
    The 458 is the first Ferrari in many many years that is actually beautiful. There have been plenty of cool looking Ferrari's but they were not beautiful. Some of the details are certainly trying too hard but the overall shape is amazing. This will be the only car from the current line up that has any chance of being a classic in the future IMHO.

19. Masher44

Masher44 F1 World Champ

Jan 15, 2008
    Have a double and relax man. .1% is fun.

20. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    Wrong. The people who think Citizen Kane are correct. I'm surprised that, as a designer, you confuse what's good or bad with people's personal preferences. That's the mistake that 'civvies' make in these kind of discussions.

21. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
    looks argument is pointless, u get billions of different opinions on that alone.

people have stuff to say about the looks of the cali, 612, 599, 458.....enzo.
    one needs US$200K to a million dollars to buy any new ferrari. Ferrari only made 1300 612s or 2000 599s, 5000 430s.... i dont know the exact numbers, but u get the idea.

For something like the F12 or FF, only a few thousand people on this earth will ever bring one home during its entire model life. Why the hell should ferrari or anybody care who the rest thinks???!!

I cant rationalize style or persuade people on what looks good, but i can definitely understand numbers and cash.

why are people so opinionated on something they are not buying or they cant afford?? one gives opinions because they CAN and for no other reason? especially on something they can not take home anyways??
    i know its self help and the easy way out, but its getting sad.

u heard it a million times, ur friend or ur cousin dont like how the the pagani or bugatti looks, blah blah blah.....
    what the heck are u talking about??
    never in ur entire life can u ever afford a pagani or veyron!!! let alone want one.
    same with ferrari, only one in a hundred million people can buy a new ferrari, and the other 99million people who cant, talk smack over it??

i mentioned i dont like the aventador, i drove it, slept in it, blah blah blah, im not vocal about how it looks or whatever, mainly because I CAN NOT AFFORD IT, how simple is that??
    i have several cars of equal value to the big lambo, but i still cant afford it without selling one. If i have the cash, i buy them, regardless of what they look. Ferraris and lambos really cant make ugly cars, if u think they do, u just looking for excuses not to spend cash which is also good too.

Lambo is making 4,000 aventadors in its whole life time.
    only 4000 people out of billions of human beings!!!!..... and we talk about it, lose sleep over it, like we gonna pretend we can take it home some day.....

spend this kind of energy and time on ur money making skills and family, we all would have a better life.
    i know i wasted mine chance today. not gonna do this again.

22. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
    i admit im especially bored today and have been drinking too much of the ferrari-kool-aid to see these negativity against their new baby.

pardon me.
    guess im excercising an opionion finally.

23. 458beast

458beast Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2011
    rainy
    Full Name:
    Will
    Sorry to bash you earlier, it was my opinion, and you can have yours.

If Ferrari brought out a SUV model, it would lose fans, guaranteed.

It would ruin the brands historical image, so yes, they care what other people think because we are their market.

They market our product to us, if they don't care about what we think, they would soon become bankrupt... for the newer released models of which they didn't care about us.

24. carcommander

carcommander Formula 3

Sep 28, 2006
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I think everyone is allowed there opinion. And who cares what it is. I made a comment about a lambo to a girl friend at a resturant saying "I never really wanted a Lambo" the lady at the next table look at me "as if you could have one" in the parking lot was my 599.

I personally think it's cool but will wait to they depreciate to get one. Meanwhile I trying to decide if I trade it on a 458 or just buy one.

25. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    458beast given a 24-hour ban for name calling.

Mike